Red Wine? Good or Bad?

Wanderlei-silva

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hi, I started boxing, kickboxing, fighting mma 3 years ago

And I have done pretty well. BUT, my diet was always horrible

Now I've cleaned myself up and quit everything bad. BUT one thing I love is a glass of red wine a day. Is it really bad for training like thye say?

Because research has shown that 1 glass red wine a day is good for health. Now is that for normal people and not athletes? Or can mma fighters drink at least a 1/2 glass of wine and be ok?

Please someone if you have any information regarding this, let me know, thank you

1st, wait more than 7 minutes before bumping a thread, especially on a weekday when some people have boring responsibilities like work they have to focus on.
2nd, try searching. There's another thread on the first page regarding alcohol consumption being healthy.

1st, wait more than 7 minutes before bumping a thread, especially on a weekday when some people have boring responsibilities like work they have to focus on.
2nd, try searching. There's another thread on the first page regarding alcohol consumption being healthy.

oh and you are working now? Dude, all you gotta do is answer my question, dont have to insult people. I just wanted to know for good reason, and I'm not a regular on this site, so gimme a break, and I DID search on google but theres nothing on MMA fighters and consumption of wine, so thats why I came to Sherdog

GSP regularly drinks red wine.

THANK YOU, thats all I needed to know, if he does it then its ok.

Cuz GSP is the MOST proffessional athlete in the world, or at least in the top 5, has to be.

Thanks alot. So Im assuming a glass or a half glass of red wine a day or every 2 days is good for health, again thanks!

having a glass or 2 of red wine is actually beneficial to you. Not sure how but some basic research would answer your questions.

oh and you are working now? Dude, all you gotta do is answer my question, dont have to insult people. I just wanted to know for good reason, and I'm not a regular on this site, so gimme a break, and I DID search on google but theres nothing on MMA fighters and consumption of wine, so thats why I came to Sherdog

He wasn't insulting, he was offering constructive criticism. Believe me, we're pretty unambiguous about insulting people here.

His point is that a mere 6 posts below your own post (as of right now), there's another thread:

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f15/its-ok-drink-alcohol-again-1355645/

This thread links to a number of articles that talk about the health benefits of alcohol (and red wine).

Cuz GSP is the MOST proffessional athlete in the world, or at least in the top 5, has to be.

Thanks alot. So Im assuming a glass or a half glass of red wine a day or every 2 days is good for health, again thanks!

Well the health benefits of red wine are well documented. The only thing a fighter would have to look out for is the extra calories they're getting from the booze which would probably be more of an issue if you're cutting weight for a fight.

I like Pinot Noir myself, it's the lightest of all the red wines but it also contains the most reservatrol out of all the reds as well. It can also be served cold.

I also heard he drinks his own p!ss and dosnt wash his hands after taking a dump so you might want to copy that off him too .

truth is anything in moderation is ok .

I like Pinot Noir myself, it's the lightest of all the red wines but it also contains the most reservatrol out of all the reds as well. It can also be served cold.

I was unaware of that. Very nice, I've got a couple bottles tucked away I may have to dust off.:icon_chee

I was unaware of that. Very nice, I've got a couple bottles tucked away I may have to dust off.:icon_chee

It's my go to red wine, even the cheaper brands are good. And for a red wine it's good for all seasons.

Well, when I first started posting here I was living on the Western Slope of Colorado, right next to a little town called Palisade. The climate there is almost identical to the Napa Valley (except for the snow in the winter, but even that's mild) and they had some of the best wines I've ever had. I still have about 22 bottles of various types put away, lots of reds, a few whites and a couple rarer dessert wines. I would never consider myself a wine snob, but I do love a good wine.

Yeah, I think a lot of folks are intimidated by wines but having friends in the restaurant business who employ sommeliers, they've all told me to ignore the rules and just drink what you want to drink. If you want to drink white wine with a thick cut of red meat, go for it.

Yeah, that seems to be the prevalent attitude at all the vineyards there too.
Have you ever tried an ice wine? If I'm in the mood for something sweet, those are the absolute best.

Pinot Noir is the bomb, and red ice wines are to die for. I had a cabernet franc ice wine last winter and it was the best ever. The ice wine festival in Niagara On The Lake rocks.

I would limit it to 1-2 glasses a day, depends on your body mass.
Red wine is good for the heart and has antioxidants, but too much of anything is bad so limit your drink.

GSP regularly drinks red wine.

This pair of posts has me LOLing. :icon_chee

Just because it wasn't reposted:
Whole Health Source: Does Red Wine Protect the Cardiovascular System?

Back