Economy Red Lobster closing more than 50 restaurants auctioning off furniture and equipment as it prepares to file for bankruptcy

Bidenomics
john-cena-walking-john-cena-thuganomics.gif

Ikr, that place has been going downhill for quite a while.

If they didn't give away literally thousands of biscuits at every location no one would even go.

Im from Boston and could never justify walking in that place given the amount of real seafood places around here sir.

I went once because somebody took me and everything tasted faked and that was over 20 years ago lol.

Im from Boston and could never justify walking in that place given the amount of real seafood places around here sir.

I went once because somebody took me and everything tasted faked and that was over 20 years ago lol.

Confirmed: StonedLemur is an elitist who is completely out of touch with the common person

:oops:<lol>

I was in Boston years ago and wanted to try a local seafood place. Went to Legal Seafood thinking that was one of them as I’ve never heard of them. I felt like a dumbass like a year later when one opened up by me and I realized it was a chain all along.

I was in Boston years ago and wanted to try a local seafood place. Went to Legal Seafood thinking that was one of them as I’ve never heard of them. I felt like a dumbass like a year later when one opened up by me and I realized it was a chain all along.

Legal seafood is for the tourists and those that don't know or care about the real stuff tbh.
We drive to Rhode Island to a place on Island Park for everything (Fried scallops, fried clams, fish and chips, mussels, fried oysters, clam chowder etc).
They're literally across the street from the beach in a shack...fuckin phenomenal.

I go to Maine to buy lobsters and do them at home though when I want lobsters though, so I can be a big mess in private lol.
Either that or we bring a big pan and lots of butter, and boil them at a park or camp spot on the way home.

So no more premium prices for gutter alley seafood?

With their notoriously generous clientele, how is this possible?

when I started reading this thread, I was in Mayberry, now I am in the WR.

Trippy and confusing

Because they arent great haha

Food trucks are huge in Houston and top quality chefs putting out product. Low overhead and higher profit margins. Really like your take on some of the corporate takeover of so many places vs regional unique markets. Small restaurants do have a hard time (they always have) but they can survive more easily without the large cookie cutter comp. I AM conservative and do favor freedom of business in general, I dont mind when some of these guys fade out.

I hear ya, the thing about freedom of business is that it tends to lead to monopolization. Someone mentioned Demolition Man earlier, as it had a sub-plot of "Franchise Wars" where Taco Bell ended up absorbing everything else. That's not far from reality if you look at current corporate structure and further giant merger proposals. Corporate chain restaurants almost always lose quality, seek to reduce labor cost, over-expand, all the dumb sh*t big business does to maximize short term gains while attempting to dominate market share, without offering an actually innovative product.

BTW the first real time I took notice of this was in the Netflix series "The Toys That Made Us." Because I always wondered what the f*ck happened to the good toys I grew up with, and toys now are sh*ttier quality while being 5x more expensive. That series details how those companies grew, and then their downfalls...which were almost always arrogance, market saturation, thinking they could tell kids what they want instead of making what kids want. Failure to anticipate the video game industry (which is currently doing the SAME thing lol), in the same sense Blockbuster, in their arrogance, brushed off Netflix itself. That's when I got curious as to how these people think, and seeing interviews with former Execs who just shrug their shoulders, because they're still financially secure. "Yeah we essentially ruined a whole industry, but hey that's life!"

I hear ya, the thing about freedom of business is that it tends to lead to monopolization. Someone mentioned Demolition Man earlier, as it had a sub-plot of "Franchise Wars" where Taco Bell ended up absorbing everything else. That's not far from reality if you look at current corporate structure and further giant merger proposals. Corporate chain restaurants almost always lose quality, seek to reduce labor cost, over-expand, all the dumb sh*t big business does to maximize short term gains while attempting to dominate market share, without offering an actually innovative product.

BTW the first real time I took notice of this was in the Netflix series "The Toys That Made Us." Because I always wondered what the f*ck happened to the good toys I grew up with, and toys now are sh*ttier quality while being 5x more expensive. That series details how those companies grew, and then their downfalls...which were almost always arrogance, market saturation, thinking they could tell kids what they want instead of making what kids want. Failure to anticipate the video game industry (which is currently doing the SAME thing lol), in the same sense Blockbuster, in their arrogance, brushed off Netflix itself. That's when I got curious as to how these people think, and seeing interviews with former Execs who just shrug their shoulders, because they're still financially secure. "Yeah we essentially ruined a whole industry, but hey that's life!"
Some of the mergers can be controlled at the govt level if they are large enough to be a monopoly. Restaurants are a little bit different as they are so varied instead of a straight up service (ex: phone). Certainly when they get large enough and some are owned by a larger group (mostly unknown to average americans) that buy up several chains. Some moderation of these things is warranted.

To your point about the executive. That's where it goes off the rails. When a chain or a larger company is the owner and the whole thing is public... then you have to hire execs to grow the company while managing expectations of payouts for quality execs. When all of this happens, then you get massive payouts per year, increase in pricing to support the machine, lower quality to magnify profits. Most individual restaurant owners arent rolling in it. When you get into a corporate style with boards, investers and all that comes with it... the wheels may fall off.

Toys went out the window when China began producing products that ARE made for peanuts, cheaper materials but high volume sales. Noone is buying a toy that costs exponentially more but a child will just stop playing with over time. The market shifted. I cannot speak to the netflix docu as I havent seen it but would be interesting to see more detail on their thoughts.

Some of the mergers can be controlled at the govt level if they are large enough to be a monopoly. Restaurants are a little bit different as they are so varied instead of a straight up service (ex: phone). Certainly when they get large enough and some are owned by a larger group (mostly unknown to average americans) that buy up several chains. Some moderation of these things is warranted.

To your point about the executive. That's where it goes off the rails. When a chain or a larger company is the owner and the whole thing is public... then you have to hire execs to grow the company while managing expectations of payouts for quality execs. When all of this happens, then you get massive payouts per year, increase in pricing to support the machine, lower quality to magnify profits. Most individual restaurant owners arent rolling in it. When you get into a corporate style with boards, investers and all that comes with it... the wheels may fall off.

Toys went out the window when China began producing products that ARE made for peanuts, cheaper materials but high volume sales. Noone is buying a toy that costs exponentially more but a child will just stop playing with over time. The market shifted. I cannot speak to the netflix docu as I havent seen it but would be interesting to see more detail on their thoughts.

They started going out the window before China became a manufacturing giant. Going from their feedback it really was that they thought video games wouldn't take off and capture their target audience, as well as flooding the market. Kids still like toys, but you have to sell them to kids the right way. My Sons play with cars and action figures, and they play games. Theres enough room for both. But yeah check it out, it's a good one:

I don't really feel bad for that place closing because it sucked but I really feel bad for all the Mom and Pop restaurants and bars that had to eventually close during the Sweet and Sour Sniffles "Pandemic" because of all the retarded and useless rules implemented by their states greedy Governors and Mayors all in the name of Virtue Signaling...I mean "Science". And no apologies ever giving or fucks from the draconian maggots.

They started going out the window before China became a manufacturing giant. Going from their feedback it really was that they thought video games wouldn't take off and capture their target audience, as well as flooding the market. Kids still like toys, but you have to sell them to kids the right way. My Sons play with cars and action figures, and they play games. Theres enough room for both. But yeah check it out, it's a good one:

My boys are only 7, 5 and 3 so they all play with toys. Looks like an interesting documentary. I will def take a look thanks. One thing going back to some fast food conversations is that originally it was cheap and quick. But if I'm paying 15.00 for the wendys... I can get a sirloin with two sides from Texas roadhouse for a dollar or two more. Even spring for the filet for 22.00 and have an outstanding meal. The fact that I can order online so it is nearly like fast food in that it takes me a few extra minutes.... I'm curious if these big fast food chains will receive any pushback. I would rather take my boys out and grab a steak than grabbing them a bunch of fast food for similar costs. They can all split one steak and two sides while I have one for myself.... if we are talking about 30-35.00 then its a better deal for me than fast food.

My boys are only 7, 5 and 3 so they all play with toys. Looks like an interesting documentary. I will def take a look thanks. One thing going back to some fast food conversations is that originally it was cheap and quick. But if I'm paying 15.00 for the wendys... I can get a sirloin with two sides from Texas roadhouse for a dollar or two more. Even spring for the filet for 22.00 and have an outstanding meal. The fact that I can order online so it is nearly like fast food in that it takes me a few extra minutes.... I'm curious if these big fast food chains will receive any pushback. I would rather take my boys out and grab a steak than grabbing them a bunch of fast food for similar costs. They can all split one steak and two sides while I have one for myself.... if we are talking about 30-35.00 then its a better deal for me than fast food.

Yes! What you are expressing is the exact kind of industry-change that these giants never, ever, seem to anticipate. With the invention of Doordash, UberEats, more competition sprung up. Now, those services have their own problems, but corporate giants tend to think they can force people to do what they want because everything needs to be profit-driven, as in how to I get as much money as I can out of any person I see. Not, how do I create a sustainable service that essentially never goes bankrupt. I see this in my own industry with Coaches. Fight coaches of all walks advertising that they offer the latest trend on social media. Flashy Mitt-work, dance-y footwork, etc. But what happens to you when your trends fade? You fade, too. I've oriented my own social media presence different because I dont want to encounter that.

But these fast food chains are just getting stupid. It's like they've come down to thinking the convenience of someone else making what you eat is enough, and they're taking every other aspect of it for granted. I'm not paying $30 for McNuggets and fries. I can make a smarter purchase for better food. I'm not paying that much just because it's a drive-through. Hell Dominoes isnt even this stupid, they still have pizzas for $5.99 for walk-in. 2 of those feeds me and all 3 of my boys if we're gonna eat junk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peyman
Back