Red Instructor Bars on Purple and Brown Belts

BCNASH

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I have seen it at a few places in San Diego, and my professor already does custom
Rashguards for the instructors for No Gi, so I asked him if he considered going the instructor bar route for purples and browns. Have you guys seen it or even know where to go about getting them if this the way we move toward in the future? I have found two places, one only does browns and Kanji does browns and purples but 45 bucks is a bit steep. Capture+_2019-01-13-20-40-20.png Capture+_2019-01-13-12-18-35.png

I had a red bar even as a blue belt running an affiliate school. We had a seamstress customize a belt.

Don't do it, it makes you look like a tool. a guy at my old gym that was a purple belt teaching the kids classes got himself a red bar belt to soothe his massive ego. I've never seen it otherwise. We all know who's teaching. Only Black belts get the red bar, IMO.

Don't do it, it makes you look like a tool. a guy at my old gym that was a purple belt teaching the kids classes got himself a red bar belt to soothe his massive ego. I've never seen it otherwise. We all know who's teaching. Only Black belts get the red bar, IMO.

Oh my GOD this made me laugh so hard!

I bet those teenage karate girls who run that Gracie Training Center are running out to get them for their blue belts.

I think this is absolutely retarded. Give them the "coach" title sure, but there's no need to add red bars to their colored belts.

Don't do it. Just make those that attend your class call you "Sensei" Just as dumb.

This was an "old school" thing in the midwest, where black belts were few and far between. It denoted someone who was running a school or club, or doing large amounts of teaching. I don't really see them anymore with an increase of upper rank and black belts in the state.

If you really must do it why not just buy a regular belt and sew the red cloth over it and save $25?

I tell my students that run my clubs or affiliate club to wear a red tab on their belt.
They are the instructors hence the red tab. Even if they are at purple or brown belt level .

it's been my experience in martial arts that every check past "does it stink?" and "does it fit?" on any schools "fucks to give about uniforms" list starts setting off some alarms.

I totally get it looks great in advertising and probably impresses newcomers, and I don't begrudge anybody for repping their school. I guess I begrudge people who take the jammies and belts THAT seriously? but I'm an irreverent jackass that overshares in threads pertaining to a martial art where I've picked up two stripes in ten years.

A high level blue and also brown belt run the school i'm at for family and kids class if the're a instructor or coach what ever he wants to be called I suppose comes down to ones personal preference if he wants be called a coach, sensei, teacher , and or instructor .Imho it is certainly whole different thing being able to teach others is not easy and should deserve its own thing if that person wants it as it is a accomplishment as well.Just remember not all black belts are good teachers or good with kids and family orientated BJJ

Last edited:
I have only seen a Brown belt with an instructor bar once, and he had made his own martial art system that resembled MMA.
It was a McDojo with BJJ sprinkled on top of it, and everyone I told about a Brown belt with red instructor bar on it has laughed.
I dont see the need for it honestly, everyone knows who the instructor is anyways, so why do you need special belts for purple or brown belts who coach? It seems their only purpose is to signal authority / stroke some wanna be sensei's ego, and that's exactly the reason why so many people dislike belt systems.

A high level blue and brown belt run the school im at for family and kids class if there a instructor or coach what ever i suppose comes down to ones personal preference if he is a coach teacher or instructor its a whole different thing being able to teach others is not easy and should deserve its own thing as not all black belts are good teachers or good with kids and family orientated BJJ
#punctuation

it's been my experience in martial arts that every check past "does it stink?" and "does it fit?" on any schools "fucks to give about uniforms" list starts setting off some alarms.

I totally get it looks great in advertising and probably impresses newcomers, and I don't begrudge anybody for repping their school. I guess I begrudge people who take the jammies and belts THAT seriously? but I'm an irreverent jackass that overshares in threads pertaining to a martial art where I've picked up two stripes in ten years.
Agree about taking jammies too seriously. When I'm traveling I look for places to train, and whenever I contact one with a "white gi only" policy I pass on it.

Those things are gay. We should just call them gay bars.

A high level blue and brown belt run the school im at for family and kids class if there a instructor or coach what ever i suppose comes down to ones personal preference if he is a coach teacher or instructor its a whole different thing being able to teach others is not easy and should deserve its own thing as not all black belts are good teachers or good with kids and family orientated BJJ

How high level is the blue belt?

I tell my students that run my clubs or affiliate club to wear a red tab on their belt.
They are the instructors hence the red tab. Even if they are at purple or brown belt level .

How many affiliate clubs do you have?

I bet that guy gave the best unsolicited advice.

This was an "old school" thing in the midwest, where black belts were few and far between. It denoted someone who was running a school or club, or doing large amounts of teaching. I don't really see them anymore with an increase of upper rank and black belts in the state.

I only ever saw it in the Midwest myself, and as you say it was back when there were only 2-3 BBs in most Midwestern states (if that. I think there was one in IN when I started, Jack McVicker). It's very dated at this point, no reason to do it.

Back