Red Instructor Bars on Purple and Brown Belts

Don't do it, it makes you look like a tool. a guy at my old gym that was a purple belt teaching the kids classes got himself a red bar belt to soothe his massive ego. I've never seen it otherwise. We all know who's teaching. Only Black belts get the red bar, IMO.
This. I’ve seen only met one brown belt with a red bar over the years that wasn’t a tool.

there's a gym in town run by a guy I've known for over ten years and he's got a world-class pro actively competing who's my size that I could train with every day, but they've got a strict affiliate-only jammies and spandies policy, and I've already got eight damn gis in my closet

Last edited:
How high level is the blue belt?
He was in the military and took a variety of bjj and has 5 years in the art .I think maybe some schools just give out belts much easier he is almost purple belt though and good enough to beat black belts in tourneys,Also I personally feel belts don't always set a standard of ones personal skill set just the skills taught maybe in that art or time spent with a certain school if your training with all kinds of schools and working with high level guys from all over you yourself will be on a high level in a much shorter time imho he has his own kids in the program that are teenagers as well and I think that is good positive inspiration for everyone in a family class to see as he has also two kids under 3 also watching from the mat side like little gracie's lol

Last edited:
Your quality as an instructor is self evident. Just like a different colored belt won't make you a better grappler, a red tag on your belt won't make you a better instructor.

I'm no zen master, I have ego problems like most people; but I can't imagine the level of lack of self-awareness, or the gall, to actually change one's belt, to signify 'Hey guys, look: I'M the teacher here.' Or even just the notion of adding the color of red to a Jiujitsu belt, on your own. And then to put it on.

At that point, you might as well go full Mini-Mall McDojo Master, & wear it as a headband during class. Just to be extra clear that everyone knows your position in the hierarchy above them.

s-l300.jpg

I would be happy to sell anyone one of these by the way, for the low low price of $44.99.

(plus shipping)

I'm no zen master, I have ego problems like most people; but I can't imagine the level of lack of self-awareness, or the gall, to actually change one's belt, to signify 'Hey guys, look: I'M the teacher here.' Or even just the notion of adding the color of red to a Jiujitsu belt, on your own. And then to put it on.

At that point, you might as well go full Mini-Mall McDojo Master, & wear it as a headband during class. Just to be extra clear that everyone knows your position in the hierarchy above them.

s-l300.jpg

I would be happy to sell anyone one of these by the way, for the low low price of $44.99.

(plus shipping)

Cut eye hole's in it and you have yourself a sale.

Or "professor." I call my instructors by their names because we're adults.

Correct.
Fifteen years ago, no one told me to address to them as professor...

But nowdays, it is like a requirement.

It makes laugh because in the USA, they demand to call the BB as professor but lower belt instructors as coach which total bs.

Personally if a Brazilian refers to you as professor as a sign of respect, it does not matter the colour of your belt. It just means you teach the class.

Just the same as the red tab, you are the freaking teacher .Lol

In my opinion not everyones level is based on a stupid belt .Some folks are one school minded people that is fine.Now if you visit multiple schools and go to various competitions and been in military martial arts that was based in a lot close contact grappling and strikes sometimes with or without weaponry to me personally when I say your belt does not determine how good you are always more then likely just means you spent all you time at one school this is just my honest opinion does that mean I think all instructors should get a red tag no matter there own belt rank well i guess that is just that schools preference I have no interest in telling anyone or any school how to run things too many folks caring what the next guy's doing at there gym and not in focus with what they them selves are doing right or wrong

In my opinion not everyones level is based on a stupid belt then you are a one school minded person that is fine but if you visit multiple schools and go to various competitions and been in military martial arts that was based in a lot close contact grappling and strikes sometimes with or without weaponry trust me when I say your belt does not determine how good you are always more then likely just means you spent all you time at one school this is just my honest opinion does that mean I think all instructors should get a red tag no matter there own belt rank well i guess that is just that schools preference I have no interest in telling anyone or any school how to run things too many folks caring what the next guy's doing at there gym and not in focus with what they them selves are doing right or wrong

White belts and blue belts are very good to assess the level of someone. Appart from wrestlers, guys with a judo background, guys that have been doing MMA training for years, kung fu guys from weird places that do grappling... so appart from them... everybody should be on the same level... If you don't consider muscle heads, very athletic guys, cross fit guys, guys with cardio that last forever, bigger guys, quicker guys... Sure there's super flexible guys, guys that pull guard and sweep everybody, guys that can jump all over the place and can pass any guard, super agressive guys that just smash everyone, super crazy guys that escapes everything and never tap.

I'm pretty sure a 5 colors belt system will be able to take everything into account and that we will be sure who is better than the other.

This is not accepted in BJJ organizations. This was the invention of BJJ in the state of São Paulo in Brazil. However, it is not accepted by IBJJF

Your quality as an instructor is self evident. Just like a different colored belt won't make you a better grappler, a red tag on your belt won't make you a better instructor.
I very much agree my friend said well

This was prevalent in 2001 when I started training. My instructor was Francisco Mansur, a 9th degree red and black belt. I assumed it was a Brazilian thing for that reason...

i like 'professor' so much better than 'master'. every time someone says that word I hear either 'Mahsta Wayne' or 'Yes massa' and cringe. I'm projecting but it's stupid.

anytime somebody addresses me as master I correct them and make them call me Darth.

i like 'professor' so much better than 'master'. every time someone says that word I hear either 'Mahsta Wayne' or 'Yes massa' and cringe. I'm projecting but it's stupid.

anytime somebody addresses me as master I correct them and make them call me Darth.

I go with coach. I am a sports guy not a cult member or a university student.

Back