recommend me a book (please)

I absolutely hate that new Camarillo book. I have no idea how someone can read that childish military stuff. So disappointing, considering that I love Dave Camarillo and his style of BJJ. On the other hand, his Guerrilla Jiu Jitsu book was very solid and had a lot of judo style takedowns and combinations.

I would be very careful with Hatmakers books...I think that it is safe to say that he is a controversial figure in the grappling community and he has no credentials as a coach or competition/MMA experience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZwZig5dzO8

Drill to win is excellent and easily applicable to no-gi. Judo for MMA is a good book IMHO too.

here are some of the parts of the book:

part 1:
stretches, all sorts of stretches to help your body be more flexible.

part 2:
half guard fundamentals: lockdown, jaws of life, the whip up
Half guard sweeps: old school, electric chair sweep/submission, stoner control/variation/arm triangle/calf crank, twist back & plan b combo, half guard to closed guard
Dogfight sweeps: transition to the dogfight, half and half/variation, plan b, twist back & plan b combo, the powder keg
Limp arm techniques: dpo to side control, dpo to back, drowning wizard

actually, it would take me a long ass time to write them all down. to be honest, mastering the rubber guard and mastering the twister are probably the complete 10th planet system written in book form

I have this book as well....excellent book...especially if you like the armbar. It is loaded with armbar entries and attacks from every position. Excellent stuff.

I also like his background in Judo. The other BJJ blackbelts that has a Judo blackbelt is Saulo Ribeiro and Roy Dean I believe. I'm sure there others that I don't know about.

Sounds interesting, what are the pictures like in it, in the eddie bravo one I have they are black and white and so can be hard to follow.

Sounds interesting, what are the pictures like in it, in the eddie bravo one I have they are black and white and so can be hard to follow.

the pictures are great. i think they learned from the mistakes of that book and use a lot of color pictures to explain everything. very easy to understand.

at the beginning of the book eddie bravo tells the story of himself, and also about weed culture and shit, and i don't really care about the whole weed culture part, so i don't bother with it, but aside from that, it is a really good book and very well put together and all in all a good book. not a lot of people like 10th planet, but i want to take from a lot of resources and improve on my game to make jiu jitsu more fun for me.

Hard to go wrong with Marcelo's X-guard or Advanced Jiu-Jitsu books.

Hard to go wrong with Marcelo's X-guard or Advanced Jiu-Jitsu books.

I was looking at those but I dont really want a guard book. And with the adavanced one I'm not sure if it will be too advanced for my whitebelt self.

Well, I got Judo for Mixed Martial Arts, and this is how it goes:

Standing Clinch: pages 28-37
Striking: pages 38-55
Throws: pages 58-158
Ground Grappling: pages 162-282

The Standing Clinch section doesn't include striking. The Striking section has striking to the clinch, striking from the clinch, and striking to takedowns. The Throws section is pretty self explanatory. The Ground section has a mixture of subs and sweeps with a section at the end on ground-n-pound.

In answer to your earlier question, the section on throws doesn't involve striking. The way the book is set up is that it shows how to initiate a clinch by either avoiding your opponent's strikes or by using strikes of your own. The throws in the book start from the clinch position. If that makes sense.

Mark Hatmaker has three books that cover takedowns (not two, like I had said previously). The titles are a little confusing since they all start with "No Holds Barred Fighting" and then have a 2nd line which gives the topic of the book itself. However, I looked at Barnes & Noble . com, and they list his book on Submission Wrestling under the title "No Holds Barred." Anyway,

Submission Wrestling: a general book about sub wrestling that includes takedowns, control, subs, and escapes.
The Clinch: despite the cover photo of him doing a knee strike, the majority of the book (page 82-216) is control positions and takedowns.
The third book is just called Takedowns, which is pretty straightforward.

I personally like these books since they're relatively inexpensive for the amount of info they contain. They aren't the best in terms in terms of photo size or paper quality, but I'd still give at least one a shot.

Last edited:
I think judo for mma seems like the best option but I'm still tempted to get wrestling for fighting by Randy Couture

Are any of those books focused on concepts more than technique?

Randy's one is great for MMA but not for pure wrestling. You can learn better from another place (if you are not wanting it for MMA, which it is a great book for)

I think mastering jiu jitsu by one of the Gracies is

It's just my opinion, but I think the real value of this book is the history & theory sections by John Danaher. The section on techniques and positions is very basic, which makes sense since there weren't many books on BJJ when it came out. It holds a special place in my heart since it was the first book I got and the one that made me really want to learn BJJ (along with seeing the UFC fight Shamrock/Horn, which is still one of my favorites).

Back