recommend me a book (please)

triangle killer

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I currently own 3 jiu jitsu books, jiu jitsu university, by Saulo Ribeiro, bj penns closed guard book and eddie bravos jiu jitsu unleashed.

I prefer nogi to gi and so a nogi book would be best, I would get another eddie bravo one but am not particularly interested in rubber guard or the twister.

I would also like it to contain takedowns, which led me to dave Camarillos book 'guerilla jiujitsu'. This book however seems to mainly focus on judo throws involving the gi, I know that I could just adapt them to nogi and may do this if there are no better options.

books

My current favourite option is randy coutures 'wrestling for fighting', although it is for mma I think the nogi wrestling with some submissions is ideal if I just ignore the mma part.
books

So what would be the best book?

"Dirty Boxing" by Matt Lindland is very underrated IMHO, it is good basic no-gi/wrestling stuff. I also liked "The Ground Game" from Greg Jackson, it has somewhat more MMA approach.

Also, although it is quite old, I love Roylers "Submission Grappling". It has a lot of good techniques that are still very useful.

"Dirty Boxing" by Matt Lindland is very underrated IMHO, it is good basic no-gi/wrestling stuff. I also liked "The Ground Game" from Greg Jackson, it has somewhat more MMA approach.

Also, although it is quite old, I love Roylers "Submission Grappling". It has a lot of good techniques that are still very useful.

Is greg jacksons book not more mma than bjj? By that I mean contains alot of ground and pound type things.
Also is there much/anything on taking people down?
Same with matt lindlands book

If you're primarily looking for takedowns, maybe "Judo for MMA" by Karo Parysian. Or one of Hatmaker's books (I forget his first name).

Thats a good call actually, I will look into that one

I don't recall there being a lot of groundwork, but do read it if just for the story of Karo's first MMA fight at the age of 16 with his dad bringing either a knife or a gun (I forget which) in case things got ugly, and then after Karo won, two girls taking him out and "made him a man."

It's been a few years since I looked at it, now I feel the need to give it another look-over.

I don't recall there being a lot of groundwork, but do read it if just for the story of Karo's first MMA fight at the age of 16 with his dad bringing either a knife or a gun (I forget which) in case things got ugly, and then after Karo won, two girls taking him out and "made him a man."

It's been a few years since I looked at it, now I feel the need to give it another look-over.

I've been looking at reviews for it and they say the majority of it is throws, which is good, but how important is the use of strikes to set up throws in this book?

I've been looking at reviews for it and they say the majority of it is throws, which is good, but how important is the use of strikes to set up throws in this book?

It's been a few years since I really looked at it. I'll check it after I get off work tonight and reply then.

There're two Hatmaker books that deal with takedowns: one is just on takedowns and the other is a general subwrestling book. They're not the highest quality in terms of paper and color photos, but there are a lot of photos and they're relatively cheap.

not at all BJJ related but the History of the Filipino Martial Arts is really interesting. And you can also never go wrong with the Tao of Jeet Kun Do.

And you can also never go wrong with the Tao of Jeet Kun Do

It may just be me,but when I see Anderson fight all I can think is that he's the Tao of JKD in action. Everything that Bruce was talking about.

I think Marcelo has a book.

Is greg jacksons book not more mma than bjj? By that I mean contains alot of ground and pound type things.
Also is there much/anything on taking people down?
Same with matt lindlands book

I have Guerilla Jiu Jitsu...good book especially if you already train judo. I had Randy's book as well...its decent...nothing you cant find on youtube.

The following Books are good editions.

Passing the Guard
Stragetic Guard
The Guard

i'll probably catch flames for this but, mastering the rubber guard. i think it's a good book.

must have missed that part, i'm typing this while watching a tv show. instead of books, i just got a subscription to jiu jitsu magazine.

I have Guerilla Jiu Jitsu...good book especially if you already train judo. I had Randy's book as well...its decent...nothing you cant find on youtube.

The following Books are good editions.

Passing the Guard
Stragetic Guard
The Guard

Do Camarillos throws primarily focus on gi grips? If so can they easily be adapted to nogi

Edit: Im not really interested in a guard book, I want a more top game oriented book

Last edited:
must have missed that part, i'm typing this while watching a tv show. instead of books, i just got a subscription to jiu jitsu magazine.

Out of interest what does he do from the rubber guard? In jiu jitsu unleashed he shows some things but the half guard and twister side control take up most of the book

he's got all sorts of names for the things that he does, i'll go get the book real quick and list the names of things that he does. you may not be able to find a use for everything in the book, but i like to use some of the stuff in my game, even though i am still kinda new

Back