Rear Naked Choke

Easto

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I was grappling last week with a guy and I had his back for about 4 minutes of the 5 minute round. I was going for the rear naked choke, but he tucked his chin and shrugged his shoulders making his neck disappear. As a newbie, where do I go from here?

Is there a maneuver to expose the neck if they pull off this defense?

Is there another sub I should transition to?

I have tried looking up vids on youtube but all the subs are done on a compliant opponent so they don't explain how to work the choke if guys do stuff like this.

Check out Kesting's tutorial on RNC's. You can find it online. It'll help you out more than anyone else on this forum.

What position were you in? As in, was he belly down or back down? Also, are you grappling with the gi or without?

If I remember correctly I think Aesopian did a big section in his blog on finishing the rear naked choke. Also, I think Marcelo has some material out on it.

Hope this helps.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/176SLdBhj_A&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/176SLdBhj_A&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

No Gi.

At one point I was on my back with him on top. Then I had him on his stomach and I was on top.

If you're on your back, you can hit an armbar from there. Just pull his right arm out to the side (you can use both hands to accomplish this if you need to) then throw your left leg over his head and straighten his arm out.
Obviously this can be done on either side, just change arms and legs. You need flexible hips, and it's somewhat risky in that you're giving a more dominant position. I wouldn't use it in MMA, but I've seen it work for bjj /sub wrestling.

You can transiction to an Armbar, like Dong sik in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om4jeyzgCkM

Rolling jujigatame is used a lot in judo when you have the back, but that's maybe cause it's less risky to loss the position (since taking the back don't score point in judo and if you failed the armbar you can stall for the mate and do not risk to find yourself in bad position)

I never get it either, I always go for the amrbar, and if I have the gi I go for an okuri eri jime.

i understand that you're timed on the ground in judo, and there's no real point system for newaza, but in bjj there is no reason to be better at armbar's than RNC's unless you a disabled in some way. if you're having trouble sinking RNC's then you should watch that video and drill it like crazy. this is one of thje most effective and simple submissions you will ever learn, it's very important to make yourself master this technique.

don't get me wrong, armbars are great, but you have to leave the most dominant position possible to even attempt it, and aside from that they are easier to defend. the rnc allows you to stay on the back and there is virtually no downside if he defends it unless there is a large gap in skill. you simply regroup and begin again, and again, until you sink it. but once you get it down the rnc is probably the absolute most high percentage technique; unfortunately it does take a bit of time and practice to get down if strength isn't one of your best attributes.

i understand that you're timed on the ground in judo, and there's no real point system for newaza, but in bjj there is no reason to be better at armbar's than RNC's unless you a disabled in some way. if you're having trouble sinking RNC's then you should watch that video and drill it like crazy. this is one of thje most effective and simple submissions you will ever learn, it's very important to make yourself master this technique.

don't get me wrong, armbars are great, but you have to leave the most dominant position possible to even attempt it, and aside from that they are easier to defend. the rnc allows you to stay on the back and there is virtually no downside if he defends it unless there is a large gap in skill. you simply regroup and begin again, and again, until you sink it. but once you get it down the rnc is probably the absolute most high percentage technique; unfortunately it does take a bit of time and practice to get down if strength isn't one of your best attributes.

Yeah but in judo you know:

- taking the back is not dominant positioin (doesn't score ippon as side, mount, kesa and north south)

- Sinking a RNC with a guy turtling and wearing the GI is very difficult. It's wasy easier to use collar choke, transiction to a pin or an armlock.
Also , like in GI bjj , you can't touch the "oval" of the face, so you can't do the dirty tricks that help you sink a choke even if the guy is defending it with his chin

In judo from the back you can use the armbar to sub him or just turn him for a pin or helping the transiction for a choke.

RNC is vital in submission (or mma), and this guy must learn it. But at the same time a lot of guy may expect it, while a jujigatame may caught them off guard (and if he master it like Dong sik does, its a very high % move)

Yeah but in judo you know:

- taking the back is not dominant positioin (doesn't score ippon as side, mount, kesa and north south)

- Sinking a RNC with a guy turtling and wearing the GI is very difficult. It's wasy easier to use collar choke, transiction to a pin or an armlock.
Also , like in GI bjj , you can't touch the "oval" of the face, so you can't do the dirty tricks that help you sink a choke even if the guy is defending it with his chin

In judo from the back you can use the armbar to sub him or just turn him for a pin or helping the transiction for a choke.

RNC is vital in submission (or mma), and this guy must learn it. But at the same time a lot of guy may expect it, while a jujigatame may caught them off guard (and if he master it like Dong sik does, its a very high % move)

if you read my post more carefully you'll see that judo is exempt, lol. i was specifically refering to bjj, and more specifically no-gi bjj, like the original poster was doing (i think)

but i agree with everything you said, except the armbar from back being very high percentage; those submissions dong does are called dongbars, lol.

the armbar from the back can't be compared to the rnc in terms of percentage in bjj and submission grappling. mma is a bit different because the gloves aid in armbars, but make it difficult to sink chokes.

Back