Really tough decision to make, can anyone relate?

Hang in there bro. Listen to your body...if it needs rest and recuperation now (likely more than the average grappler), go with the flow and your body will be good enough to grapple before you know it.

CoutureFan16 said:
Yo guys, I see myself faced with a really tough decision to make. Well first of all, I have ulcerative colitis. For those of you who dont know what that is, its where your immune system attacks your colon. Ive had it for like 5 years now, and right now Im going through one of my worst flare ups. Its basically ripping my insides apart, I wont get into the details of it. Im losing mad weight (20 pounds in past 6 months) and my energy and strength are way down. I was doing fine as of last week as far as my stamina goes, but this week I just crashed. I couldnt even run a mile in gym yesterday, thats pathetic. Ive actually been having problems with this for the past 6 months, but its finally starting to take its toll on me. Well it all comes down to this, in my current state there is really no way I can continue to train Jiu Jitsu. It really disappoints me because it is something that I really love to do. Its so hard though because since Ive gotten so weak I can hardly compete with anyone in the gym, and its frustrating not being able to do what I could before. Moves/positions that didnt really bother me before are now really painful. I told myself for the longest time that I was alrite and I would just tough everything out, but I cant do that anymore. Ontop of the twelve pills a day I already take I just got put on some steroids (prednisone) and I might be getting put on another medicine this week. Im gonna definitely take some time off from training to see if this new medicine makes me better, and hopefully it wont be long until I can return to training again. Im gonna talk to my coach on monday, Im sure its gonna be a big shock to him. As of last week I was training full blast and had a competition that I got second in. Anyone else ever go through anything serious like this that has made you consider stopping your training?

Sorry to hear about your illness but I do know a little about diseases of the bowels/stomach as my wife was diagnosed with Crohn's two years ago.

She tried to live without medication but she began to whither away a very sad thing to watch. After a year the doctor strongly advised her to start taking meds. They started her off on prednisone and it worked wonders. She was only on prednisone for a short while but it gave her an abundance of energy. She is now taking Imuran adn so far so good.

Remember with diseases of taht area diet is extremely important. Best of luck!!

I've always enjoyed your posts before ... never realizing that you were toughing it out against such odds ... I can't really relate to conditions having interrupted my training but I have had service-induced injuries completely end my training for large stints. One suggestion I can give is to find a friend who is interested in learning Jiu Jitsu and roll with him - teaching him different subs and running drills with him and whatnot and that may be a way of not having to stop training entirely. It's one technique I have employed when I can't go to classes.

E

That's chrone's disease, isn't it? I've got a friend with that, he does alright with diet and meds, not great but okay. Good luck man.

Rest bro. Get healthy. Give your body the best chance to fight that illness.

Its tough, I know. Between getting surgery on my left shin to remove microscope small bones from muay thai sparring to my toe being bent all the way back during grappling I had to rest too.

If you give your body a chance to rest like a month not doing anything but eating well, getting meds and resting. You have a better chance.

After the first week after my surgery, I wanted to spar muay thai and bjj. Both said no because I still had staples holding my skin in place. I went home and did not come back for a month. Even then I was dying to roll and spar but was made to stay on the sidelines and watch.

At first I hated it but then I read how Helio Gracie actually never trained but watched his brothers train for whatever amount of years and that made me feel better. Actually watching practice I learned a lot and I was still around the "guys" and my fellow classmates which I love just as much as rolling.

In Hawaii we say, malama pono, which translates to: Take care your body.

Malama pono, brother and I hope for the best outcome for you.

yeah I recommend alternative medicine too.
I use to be pre-med and all the business aspect disgusted me
so I quit the pursuit of being a Doctor.

But I never stopped studying the stuff for my own personal knowledge
and I recommend alternative medicine bro.

you got to be healthy to train, you can't ignore it, everything has consequences.

Thanks for all the support guys. Im starting that medicine 6mp today, thats like a real heavy duty one that is supposed to be really good, but you have to have your blood checked once a week for the first month, twice a week the second month, and then once a month after that. Its a pain in the ass missing school and stuff but I gotta do it.

Its really hard realizing just how weak Ive become because for the longest time I told myself that I was fine, and for the most part I was ok, I could tough everything out, and now I can hardly do anything. Can't even finish two laps in gym class, when just last week I ran 8 and had enough energy to sprint the last one. This past week sucked real bad as far as losing all my energy goes, I dont even feel like the same person.

Im gonna go to class on monday, maybe participate a little bit, but when its over Im gonna tell my coach Im taking a break. Hopefully getting on this new medicine will make me better soon but if not, theres not much else I can do. Once again, thanks guys, I appreciate everything you guys have said, except for the dickheads who bitched about the paragraphs.

Man I have the same thing. It sucks a lot, but... It was diagnosed 3 years ago. The thing with me was that it was all mental. I went to a therapeut and he realized that this was just my reaction to my parrents devorce. After some realizations about my life and after changing my way of thinkink I can now say that I am healthy. I am still taking some pills but that is it. I smoke, drink and do not diet.

That is just my suggestion: go to someone qualified and try to find out if your desease is psychosomatic(you know what I mean).

CoutureFan16 said:
Thanks for all the support guys. Im starting that medicine 6mp today, thats like a real heavy duty one that is supposed to be really good, but you have to have your blood checked once a week for the first month, twice a week the second month, and then once a month after that. Its a pain in the ass missing school and stuff but I gotta do it.

Its really hard realizing just how weak Ive become because for the longest time I told myself that I was fine, and for the most part I was ok, I could tough everything out, and now I can hardly do anything. Can't even finish two laps in gym class, when just last week I ran 8 and had enough energy to sprint the last one. This past week sucked real bad as far as losing all my energy goes, I dont even feel like the same person.

Im gonna go to class on monday, maybe participate a little bit, but when its over Im gonna tell my coach Im taking a break. Hopefully getting on this new medicine will make me better soon but if not, theres not much else I can do. Once again, thanks guys, I appreciate everything you guys have said, except for the dickheads who bitched about the paragraphs.

Take care man. Rest.

As a side note, I wonder how close you are to your classmates? What I mean by that is that when I first started taking class there was ten of us white belts who started at the same time. By the time we were getting promoted to blue there was only about four of us. One guy left this island, Oahu, to return to the Big Island of Hawaii. It was a last minute thing and even though it was only for six months. Regretfully, I missed the send off party. I always regretted that because we don't know if the guy will be returning.

I was thinking that if you were going to be out for a month or more, and if you are not weirded out by telling your classmates, you could let them and your coach know you will be out but would let to get together for a pizza, fight night thing somewhere.

Its just a thought. All the best on your recovery. Hit the boards and let us know how you are doing.

jjmuaythaiguy said:
Take care man. Rest.

As a side note, I wonder how close you are to your classmates? What I mean by that is that when I first started taking class there was ten of us white belts who started at the same time. By the time we were getting promoted to blue there was only about four of us. One guy left this island, Oahu, to return to the Big Island of Hawaii. It was a last minute thing and even though it was only for six months. Regretfully, I missed the send off party. I always regretted that because we don't know if the guy will be returning.

I was thinking that if you were going to be out for a month or more, and if you are not weirded out by telling your classmates, you could let them and your coach know you will be out but would let to get together for a pizza, fight night thing somewhere.

Its just a thought. All the best on your recovery. Hit the boards and let us know how you are doing.

Yeah man, Im really cool with alot of the guys at the gym. I think I might just do what you said and have them all over for UFC at my house on the 19th, thats a good idea. Atleast put the offer out there. Im def gonna tell my coach first, and then some of the other people that Im close with. Itd be a real dick move if I just left without telling them whats going on. Im not looking forward to it tho, I know atleast a few people are gonna be disappointed.

CoutureFan16 said:
Yeah man, Im really cool with alot of the guys at the gym. I think I might just do what you said and have them all over for UFC at my house on the 19th, thats a good idea. Atleast put the offer out there. Im def gonna tell my coach first, and then some of the other people that Im close with. Itd be a real dick move if I just left without telling them whats going on. Im not looking forward to it tho, I know atleast a few people are gonna be disappointed.

Nice.

People will miss you bro. One day you are there, the next you not. Everybody is like family where we train. Your place is probably like that too. Invite the people close to you and some underlings who came after you started.

Make a flyer with the phone #, time date info and directions and post a flyer up in the front desk at the gym and then party on! They will love you for that and appreciate it.

that's some heavy shit. I can't say that I can relate exactly. I do know how frustrating it is wondering if you will ever be able to train again though.

This is a serious condition. In my family whenever something hardcore comes up we try to find an elite doctor, at least as a consult. Are you going to CHOP/HUP for this? It's one of the best hospitals in the country and you're only a few miles away.

Good luck.

Back