Really need a little help with my excercises.

Tiger

Random Poster
@Green
Reaction score
OK i just finished doing 2 different programmes from the beggining of this year and its time to make one of my own that fits me(about time)

and i pretty much know what to do etc etc but the only problem is the reps and one or two excercises

Let me show u what i mean...

I split my programme into 4 days/workouts that will be done with 1 day rest in between and will look like

Day 1 Barbell Bench Press , Military Press
Day 2 Deadlift , Chins
Day 3 Dips , Dumbell Bench Press
Day 4 Squats , Standing Rows

So two questions

1st : Should i do less excercises like dumping the dips and the dumbell bench and do Barbell and Militarys AGAIN in DAY 3 or its ok

and

2nd : Should i do all those excercises with low reps (3-5) for lets say a month then switch to higher (8-10) for the next month or should i change the reps per week or per excercise or whatever...

Thank you for your time i appreciate any answers,i really need the help cause im leaving soon...Cheers...

Half of your time is devoted to pushing, and the other half is split between pulling and lower body. That doesn't seem right. I think it is good to stay in the 3-5 range most of the time, but a little variation is also good. I don't think I would devote an entire month to sets with 10 reps though.

Hmmm u are right lower body takes only 20% of all my training but i tried to remedy that by doing squats and deads (do u suggest pistols and variations of squats and deads or smth else entirely?)

About the rep range i can say that i agree that low reps are most of the time better and now that u mentioned it devoting a whole month to high reps isnt the best thing to do.

Do u think i should vary the reps per week per excercise or compound movements low reps and bodyweight ones higher and then vice versa?Or is there anything else that comes to mind?

I agree with Old Fogey. It looks like what you have in mind is a push/pull total body 4 day split. That would be somthing like:

Day 1
Squat of sorts
Press of sorts

Day 2
Deadlift/oly lift
Upper body pulling (rows, chins)

Repeat again with different exercises. Or you like you are working towards an upper/lower 4 day split, which is two upper body days, usually one heavy and one lighter and higher rep, and a squat and deadlift day.

should i still maintain 1 day rest between in case i do the

Day 1
Squat of sorts
Press of sorts

Day 2
Deadlift/oly lift
Upper body pulling (rows, chins)

I feel like after the deadlift day i wont be able to do my squats as good and as fresh...

Also i find it a bit weird to have only squat and only deadlift days,i dont know why but i feel like its a bit too little(i used to do 10sets of 3 deadlifts and ofcourse i was beat but i think that less sets and a little more reps will be better combined with pull or push excersices)

Also i find it a bit weird to have only squat and only deadlift days,i dont know why but i feel like its a bit too little
Add some unilateral lifts at the end, that is also a good way to add some higher rep exercises to your routine. For example, you might back squat a 3x3 or work up to a heavy 1RM, and then finish with 3x8 (3 sets, 8 reps) Bulgarian split squats. Or a lot of guys do front squats or overhead squats after heavy back squats.

Keep this discussion going, nice to see guys who make good choices.

to the TS, day 1:

squat
press variation
row

deadlift
press variation
pullups

3-5 sets, 3-5 reps. that simple

Add some unilateral lifts at the end, that is also a good way to add some higher rep exercises to your routine. For example, you might back squat a 3x3 or work up to a heavy 1RM, and then finish with 3x8 (3 sets, 8 reps) Bulgarian split squats. Or a lot of guys do front squats or overhead squats after heavy back squats.

Will do,unilateral lifts are the best way to break the routine and work muscles u never knew u could :p

Keep this discussion going, nice to see guys who make good choices.

to the TS, day 1:

squat
press variation
row

deadlift
press variation
pullups

3-5 sets, 3-5 reps. that simple

how many days between...isnt that alot of pressing if its only 2 days apart?i mean i want to progress a bit too not stay in the same weight all the time,and im not sure if i can do it if i have too little time to rest...but if u say so ill try it...

isnt that alot of pressing if its only 2 days apart?
It all depends on what exercises, volume, etc. I don't think you want to be bench pressing 90% of your 1RM every other day, but it's not a problem to press 4x a week. Right now I am doing a 3-day split that is very similar to what BabyPhenom wrote. I press every workout, usually alternating between bench press and SOHP.

It all depends on what exercises, volume, etc. I don't think you want to be bench pressing 90% of your 1RM every other day, but it's not a problem to press 4x a week. Right now I am doing a 3-day split that is very similar to what BabyPhenom wrote. I press every workout, usually alternating between bench press and SOHP.

i just think that my tri's will be exhausted but since u alternate its not exaclty the same ofcourse...but my goal is not only to remain stationary i want to put a tiny bit more weight whenever i can and yep no 90%1RM but with low reps i rarely drop below 80% if never...

So thats why i think pulling pressing and "lower bodying" 2x a week is ideal alternating between excercises ofcourse

How is it possible to lift 4x a week with a day in between each lifting session?

Anyway...don't worry about not being able to increase on your lifts. Routines like Bill Star's 5x5 and Rippetoes have people squatting and pressing and pulling 2 and 3 times a week.

As long as you and not doing the same lifts day in and day out you will be able to increase the weight regularly. Try to add at least 5lbs to the bar every workout.

How is it possible to lift 4x a week with a day in between each lifting session?

Anyway...don't worry about not being able to increase on your lifts. Routines like Bill Star's 5x5 and Rippetoes have people squatting and pressing and pulling 2 and 3 times a week.

As long as you and not doing the same lifts day in and day out you will be able to increase the weight regularly. Try to add at least 5lbs to the bar every workout.

Thats what i always try to do 5lbs each workout...And ok then i wont worry about many times a week since i wont be doing the same exact ones...It just feels weird but ill get used to it i must really open my mind a bit more about training...I guess im a bit stuck to the once per week each muscle group thing.

8 day cycle... 50% of the time you'd have 4 liftin' days per week.

Would a 3 day Pull, Press, and Squat workout be good?
1 day for each, with squats on the Pull day also.

Would a 3 day Pull, Press, and Squat workout be good?
1 day for each, with squats on the Pull day also.

thats what i first thought and this programme was my first decent one tbh.i was gonna do this again instead of my new one but i didnt want to hit each muscle group once per week(xcept squats) cause it takes more time to progress (for me) so i did a tweak hitting the same group twice but with different workouts and now i must variate the lower body also cause as old man said its only 20% of my training as it is now...

Anyway since the rep question has been answered does anyone have anything to comment on my choice of workouts,i mean should i change smth (not add i will add variations to make up for lost lower body excercises)

PS:also wanna say a big thanks to all of you! :icon_chee

Back