Re: Romero vs. Whittaker-The Illinois athletic commission has been accused of corruption before

2004 account

For a fair sport/true mma fan, ain't no shill
@Silver
Reaction score
As some may know, Nancy Illg was the person in charge that made the decision to prematurely cut Yoel Romero’s weight cut alloted time short.

She has a history of accusations against her for accepting bribes, So much so that it sparked an outrage in the boxing world And even a petition was started to get her fired. But as we all know, the whole system is corrupt from the top down and she is likely a mere peon in this scheme that is backed by the tangled web that is the government.

“we demand the resignation of Nancy Illg...

...On March 22, 2013 boxing officials from the Illinois Athletic Commission made some extremely bad scoring in a nationally televised match between Donovan George (Global ID: 267736) vs. David Alonso Lopez (Global ID: 42862) & also on the Adrian Granados (Global ID:470122) vs Kermit Cintron (Global ID: 53617) bout.

We need your help to demand changes be made, all officials from the top must be held accountable. It is time that not only referees and judges are held accountable but the commission as well.”

Where there’s smoke there sometimes is a 4-alarm blaze.

https://www.change.org/p/governor-pat-quinn-we-demand-a-the-resignation-of-nancy-illg

UFC should hold all their events in international waters to avoid these stupid commissions.

They could use the money they save on bribes to purchase a floating platform.

What exactly would be the bribery/etc involved in a weigh in

220px-ManWearingTinFoilHat.jpg

What exactly would be the bribery/etc involved in a weigh in
the argument in this case is that yoel had up to 2 hours to cut the weight and they arbitrarily stopped him from cutting when he had .2 to go. His camp claimed that the doctors and medical professionals didn't agree with them stopping it, and that he was stopped with about an hour to go still. Joe Rogan repeated it on air and the commission hasn't come out to refute the statements made about their conduct. So, stopping a fighter from making weight when the people monitoring the cutting fighter don't have a problem is a bit sketchy

the argument in this case is that yoel had up to 2 hours to cut the weight and they arbitrarily stopped him from cutting when he had .2 to go. His camp claimed that the doctors and medical professionals didn't agree with them stopping it, and that he was stopped with about an hour to go still. Joe Rogan repeated it on air and the commission hasn't come out to refute the statements made about their conduct. So, stopping a fighter from making weight when the people monitoring the cutting fighter don't have a problem is a bit sketchy
He also chose to sit around for the first 45 minutes of that two hours. He also could have made weight at the same time EVERY other athlete did that day.

It also wasnt arbitrary, he had to be caried from the scale twice.

When will the excuses stop for this guy?

He also chose to sit around for the first 45 minutes of that two hours. He also could have made weight at the same time EVERY other athlete did that day.

It also wasnt arbitrary, he had to be caried from the scale twice.

When will the excuses stop for this guy?
I'm not saying he didn't, but do you have proof for the 45 minutes thing? All of the people criticizing him in the heavyweight sherdog forum just kept citing the timestamped video with a little under 2 hours passed as proof that he had 2 hours(assuming that he either gave up on his own with time to spare, or that the commission stopped him and his corner and coaches didn't spend even a minute arguing with them). It definitely is arbitrary if the medical professionals say there isn't a problem.

I'm not a yoel apologist, i just think in this case that's some BS. I was hoping Whitaker would walkoff KO him, i think Jacare got somewhat screwed in their fight, I'd also question Yoel's "supplements". But just because you don't like someone doesn't mean everything against them is fair game.

Usually when there’s corruption in sports, it’s about the outcome of the fight, not making weight.

UFC should hold all their events in international waters to avoid these stupid commissions.

They could use the money they save on bribes to purchase a floating platform.
Not good enough. International law isn’t probably bias towards Romero. Must do weigh ins in space. But Romero would still find some way to be overweight with no gravity.

I understand the claim. I just don't see the case for the commission being dirty. You can't bet on if he makes weight or not. There is no real plus from any side for him not to make weight

I'm not saying he didn't, but do you have proof for the 45 minutes thing? All of the people criticizing him in the heavyweight sherdog forum just kept citing the timestamped video with a little under 2 hours passed as proof that he had 2 hours(assuming that he either gave up on his own with time to spare, or that the commission stopped him and his corner and coaches didn't spend even a minute arguing with them). It definitely is arbitrary if the medical professionals say there isn't a problem.

I'm not a yoel apologist, i just think in this case that's some BS. I was hoping Whitaker would walkoff KO him, i think Jacare got somewhat screwed in their fight, I'd also question Yoel's "supplements". But just because you don't like someone doesn't mean everything against them is fair game.
His trainer said the two hours invloced about 20 mins of examination and then he told him to rest for 30 mins. He was only cutting for about 20 mins from my understanding. I dont know where exactly but with was mmajunkie/fighting so it was a legit interview. It sucks but he screwed up twice for the two biggest fights of his career

Back