Rda has 2 options besides retirement

I think he can stay at WW and he'll probably be a gatekeeper for the top ten and there's no shame in that. If he wants to be champ, though, then yeah.....I don't see him doing that at WW. He doesn't have enough power at WW.

Huge fan of RDA but his fight IQ is spotty at times, that's what lost him the fight. Had a ton of success with the low kick but didnt throw it a lot. Was nonchalantly not defending him self off clinch exists and was getting blasted with elbows. That was a winnable fight for RDA, he lost it with critical tactical errors. He needs to up his fight IQ if he wants to take the next step at WW
He looked like me when i was 8 years old wresslin my 20 year old brother. He got sond by Colby, Usman and now Edwards. It’s disappointing to see him hopeless because of the tremedous size disparity.

So like 80% of the roster and 99% of fighters in main events lately? Got it.
Nah... Edwards was too boring, he stood in front of Rda and didnt even punched him ... he was just all push , elbow and shoot for tds. He is good and very technical but for all the size advantage he had... he could have made it more entertaining. It was an opportunity for him to shine. Sometimes when you have that narrow, figured out , too technical style that shit can go down the toilet with a good ole punch to the face. He must pull the trigger next time.

Last edited:
Huge fan of RDA but his fight IQ is spotty at times, that's what lost him the fight. Had a ton of success with the low kick but didnt throw it a lot. Was nonchalantly not defending him self off clinch exists and was getting blasted with elbows. That was a winnable fight for RDA, he lost it with critical tactical errors. He needs to up his fight IQ if he wants to take the next step at WW
The low kick for sure was always there. Either Edwards stepped JUST out of rang or ate it, never checked. And the upper-cut(rear & lead) was there all night as Edwards was ducking down to avoid the straight left. He looked good just didn't fight his best fight.

Why would you want the best gatekeeper the ufc's 170 has to go to Bellator?

He needs a step down in competition to see where he is at. Dude has faced only the best in the division.

On the other hand, you have ponzinibo who is in a great streak and can't touch a top 10 opponent.

He looked like me when i was 8 years old and i wressled with my 20 year old brother. He got sond by Colby, Usman and now Edwards. It’s disappointing to see him hopeless because of the tremedous size disparity.
He got dominated by Usman, but arguably won 2 rounds vs both Colby and Edwards. He kept his back on the cage vs Colby and Usman which cost him, definitely took the center better vs Edwards but abandoned the low kick and wasnt defending himself off of clinch breaks. Those aren't physical disadvantages necessarily, its fight IQ. I agree that he's at a sizable size disadvantage vs a lot of these guys, but skilled enough to overcome it

I think rda ranked up tonight. I think he has earned himself a number 1 contenders match. The LOSER of his next fight gets a title shot.... in WSOF, PFL, king of the cage, Oscar de la hola promotions, etc

Hes to small for ww as everyone knows he was out grappled and Edwards fought at his range and had the faster hands/elbows bad match up for rda ,I'm bummed I love rda he's given MMA fans some epic moments.

He was competitive, against a guy lot of people think could be top 5 material. Especially since RDA was rank 4 coming into this. He's fine doing his thing for now, it wasn't a bad loss. Few stitches and he'll be good to go.

Screwed either way. RDA used to have insane cardio at 155. Seems like he just kinda plods forward these days.

yeah, he was an absolute machine when he took the belt off Pettis. after the Alvarez fight he wasn't the same.

He was competitive, against a guy lot of people think could be top 5 material. Especially since RDA was rank 4 coming into this. He's fine doing his thing for now, it wasn't a bad loss. Few stitches and he'll be good to go.
He will be good to get ragdolled and outpowered by bigger welters. He can stay there and be a gatekeeper but imo he would have a real chance at the ww belt in other promotion. He has no chance in hell now.

He can beat balooned up lightweights who jumped to welter but thats about it.

He looked like me when i was 8 years old and i wressled with my 20 year old brother. He got sond by Colby, Usman and now Edwards. It’s disappointing to see him hopeless because of the tremedous size disparity.

Nah... Edwards was too boring, he stood in front of Rda and didnt even punched him ... he was just all push , elbow and shoot for tds. He is good and very technical but for all the size advantage he had... he could have made it more entertaining. It was an opportunity for him to shine. Sometimes when you have that narrow, figured out , too technical style that shit can go down the toilet with a good ole punch to the face. He must pull the trigger next time.
I agree Leon fought a tactical fight he obviously was uninterested in actually finishing the fight. RDA on the other hand pressed the action trying his hardest to do damage. Just couldn't. I credit Leon with making this fight impossible for RDA to win. Beating RDA in a 5 round fight is a feather in the cap for sure but not at least trying to finish the fight is not going to earn new fans or fans respect for Leon imo.

Maybe the bad blood with Jorge will fire him up to get a finish.

Def not retirement. RDA is def size challenged at ww. With that said he is still a top 5-8 contender there. 2 good performances against the top tier and who knows.....could get a title shot. I would rather see him at lw but not sure he would go back down.

he's top 5 in a pretty stacked division. is he gonna be champ? probably not. but it's not like he's suffering brutal KOs or looks like he doesn't belong in there.

and really, with a couple of wins in a row he's not that far from the top. we are talking about a sport where a high number of instagram followers and a big win are enough to get you into the mix

i'd like to see him do a couple more fun fights personally

Go to ONE FC and sign up for their retirement package.

165 division would be great for guys like him

This is the cold hard truth.

RDA didn't leave lightweight for the fun of it, he got brutally KO'd by Alvarez, then lost a lopsided fight to Tony. The weight cut was definitely impeding his performance and likely his overall health.

He's lost clean cut decisions to both Colby and Usman, the latter being a drubbing. Now solidly out pointed by Leon who outpointed him fairly easily. Its MMA and anything can happen, but its likely RDA is relegated to a solid top 10 position but not considered a contender.

RDA is too big for 155 and a bit undersized at welterweight, especially for his style. It is a crying shame the UFC doesn't adopt the 165lbs division.

Back