Rate Platoon (1986)

Rating

• Total voters
8 is fair, 9 is probably something like Saving Private Ryan or Full Metal Jacket. 10 would be something like Come And See or Apocolypse Now.

I dunno man, it keeps suggesting that sadism and racism might be bad. And I get the feeling that the director thinks war as a whole might be bad for humanity.

Woke bullshit 3/10

Platoon shits on FMJ.

Stalingrad (1993) is still the goat war movie to me.

Edit: we had a kid named Barnes that came to our platoon that was fun.

Teenager me…….10/10
Adult me……8/10

So we’ll call it 9/10.

Even watching this as a kid, I thought Defoe's death scene was over the top and cheesy. Also, the tie in NES game was shit.

That's all I remember.

I have to consider this and Wallstreet as maybe top 5 80s movies for me. I feel the movie really captures the war environment with the tense moment before meeting the enemy, the inner soldier struggles and comradery not to mention some great action scenes.

I liked the William Defoe character and the sergeant character who's name I forgot. Oliver stone (who volunteered and did two tours in Vietnam) actually made the actors go through military training in the Philippines or some shit like that, made them miserable so they effortlessly portray characters that are on edge lol.

What is the Sherbros verdict on this movie?

Pretty good but gets boring at times, dated acting style to. So 8 out of 10 is fair score.

What is the Sherbros verdict on this movie?
fantastic war movie.

i have read that vietnam veterans have said Platoon was about as close to the reality of fighting in vietnam of any vietnam war movie.

oliver stone, the director, was actually a soldier in the Vietnam war, so that would have helped enormously.

I voted 4 because @jgarner told me in another thread that anything to do with the military in movies is bullshit.

Many people love it and DaFoe and Berrenger were great in it . For me personally it's not even in my top 3 Nam movies. (FMJ, Hamburger hill,GMV)

Back