Rate Platoon (1986)

Rating

• Total voters

what-wut

Black Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have to consider this and Wallstreet as maybe top 5 80s movies for me. I feel the movie really captures the war environment with the tense moment before meeting the enemy, the inner soldier struggles and comradery not to mention some great action scenes.

I liked the William Defoe character and the sergeant character who's name I forgot. Oliver stone (who volunteered and did two tours in Vietnam) actually made the actors go through military training in the Philippines or some shit like that, made them miserable so they effortlessly portray characters that are on edge lol.

What is the Sherbros verdict on this movie?

Last edited:
Good. Not great. Watched it recently and liked it more than I remember. Still overrated.

10. My favorite war movie. Never cared for Full Metal Jacket or Saving Private Ryan.

I have to consider this and Wallstreet as maybe top 5 80s movies for me. I feel the movie really captures the war environment with the tense moment before meeting the enemy, the inner soldier struggles and comradery not to mention some great action scenes.

I liked the William Defoe character and the sergeant character who's name I forgot. Oliver stone (who volunteered and did two tours in Vietnam) actually made the actors go through military training in the Philippines or some shit like that, made them miserable so they effortlessly portray characters that are on edge lol.

What is the Sherbros verdict on this movie?
One of the best Vietnam movies with an excellent cast and characters. I prefer Full Metal Jacket but there's room enough for both in the collection.

Very good film. I'd stop short of calling great, though. Stone pours it on a bit thick, at times, even relative to the seriousness of the subject of the film. 8/10.

Very good film. I'd stop short of calling great, though. Stone pours it on a bit thick, at times, even relative to the seriousness of the subject of the film. 8/10.

i gave it a 7 but pretty much agree with your synopsis.

Very good...think I like casualties of war better tho

It’s a 9 or so for me.. I slightly prefer ‘Full Metal Jacket’ and ‘Hamburger Hill’ to it in all honesty.. I put it above ‘The Deer Hunter’ and ‘Apocalypse Now’ tho (in terms of Vietnam films)

Back