Rate GSP's Strength of Opposition vs. Woodley's

Rate GSP's Strength of Opposition vs. Woodley's

• Total voters
If Woodley is able to take out Colby and Usman, I think he'll be right there with GSP/Hughes in terms of the top WW champs of all time.

If you think about who Woodley will have beaten:

Robbie Lawler (5 fight win streak - vicious champion)

Stephen Thompson 2x (7 fight win streak - considered best striker by GSP himself)

Demian Maia (7 fight win streak - got stuffed around 25 times or some shit)

Darren Till (Undefeated 17-0-1 - finishes him in 2nd round)

Colby (Currently 6 fight win streak)

Usman (Currently 12 fight win streak)

Woodley couldn't even beat Oldman Jake Shields

If woodley dominated wonderboy it might be a different story but a draw and a razor thin sd is hardly a gsp like reign.

Woodley is still very impressive but a GSP comparison is a high bar indeed
I think that's the underlying problem.
Comparing anyone to GSP is unfair

It's convenient saying that when you know we will never see prime GSP vs Woodley.

Comments like that have been a staple of GSP's career. "He can't beat that guy, he's never faced someone like him". Proceeds to dominate his opponent.

People are always going to say things like "he wouldn't be able beat the current guy". It happens all the time with legends or guys that are retired. There is always another guy and a fighter can't be around forever. But people will keep running their mouths no matter how many oppenents they have beat.

Woodley ain't on prime GSP's level. Dangerous matchup for sure, but GSP outclasses him.

Dude ain't considered GOAT for nothing. You guys have the memory of a goldfish.
I never called him GOAT of anything, but if we are talking about a strait fight Woodley is honestly a more dangerous and clever version of Hendricks, the same Hendricks who took GSP to the absolute limit. Woodley is too old to ever surpass the legacy of GSP, but if they fought prime for prime I think Woodley would sleep him off a jab counter more times than not.

You should’ve included their resumes. I’ll list the more notable wins for each guy.

GSP
Hieron
Mayhem
Trigg
Sherk
Penn 2x
Hughes 2x
Fitch
Alves
Koscheck 2x
Shields
Condit
Diaz
Hendricks
Bisping

Woodley
Saffiedine
Daley
Hieron
Koscheck
Condit
Kim
Gastelum
Lawler
Wonderboy
Maia
Till

Both impressive lists. I think GSP has the better resume but it’s close. A prime Woodley beats prime GSP.

Not really a fair representation of woodley's title reign is it.
Say what you will but Woodley has faced everyone that was put in front of him
So? Like every champion should.

GSP literally cleared his entire division. In his 5 year title reign, he's beat different 2 different generations of fighters and outclassed every contender.

Woodley has had a rough title reign up to now. Starting with a draw. Then a 40 year old Maia. But he did have a good win yesterday.

Amazing how a guy goes from "crap champion" to "divisional goat" by beating one overrated contender. This is exactly what happened when Stipe beat Ngannou and everyone suddenly said he was the best.

The fact is that Woodley has multiple unavenged losses and will never reach GSP's level. He is a good fighter and there is no shame losing to the best but wins over a completely unproven prospect in Till, a way past his prime Maia, and a snoozer decision "win" over Wonderboy do little to make me think he is anywhere near WW GOAT status. He got outworked by Shields after Georges already beat him too which really doesn't help his case.

GSP > Woodley now and forever

Last edited:
GSP Woodley
Fitch Thompson (X2)
BJ Penn Maia
Alves Till
Hardy
Koshcheck
Shields
Condit
Diaz
Hendricks

Number of consecutive title defenses: GSP 9 Woodley 4
Best Striker either of them fought: Thompson
Best Grappler either of them fought: Maia
Common opponents during title reign: 0
Common opponents in general: 4
Win/Loss ratio against common opponents: GSP 5-0 Woodley 3-1
Finishing percentage of common opponents: GSP 20% Woodley 75%

Make of that data what you will. In my opinion Woodley has fought the best striker and grappler and also the biggest opponent either of them has faced. BJ Penn is by far the best opponent either of them has faced in my opinion but he was also undersized. GSP has beaten all the common opponents they have while Shields beat Woodley, GSP has only finished Heiron as a common opponent. I think GSP's schedule is more impressive because of the variety of opponents and also longevity is hard to achieve in this sport. Woodley (in my opinion) has had a harder series of opponents though.

I never called him GOAT of anything, but if we are talking about a strait fight Woodley is honestly a more dangerous and clever version of Hendricks, the same Hendricks who took GSP to the absolute limit. Woodley is too old to ever surpass the legacy of GSP, but if they fought prime for prime I think Woodley would sleep him off a jab counter more times than not.
First, Woodley isn't a better version of Hendricks.

Hendricks is a decorated wrestler and amongst the best in UFC history. His striking, comparable to Woodley's.

I'd say prime Hendricks > Woodley

Second, GSP fought Hendricks at the very end of his run when he was already planning to leave the sport. It's arguable if he was still at his best at that point.

First, Woodley isn't a better version of prime Hendricks.
Owen-Wilson-WTF.gif

Not really a fair representation of woodley's title reign is it.
Say what you will but Woodley has faced everyone that was put in front of him
Ever heard of hector lombard? Tyquil was all about not fighting teammates until it benefitted him hahaha

GSP...Woodley is not even remotely close to him.

Woodley's vs GSP's

1. Till ............... Bisping
  2. Maia ............ Diaz
  3. Thompson .... Hendricks
  4. Lawler .......... Shields
  5. Gastellum ..... Koscheck
  6. Koscheck ...... Hardy
  7. Condit ........... Condit
  8. Daley ............. Alvez
  9. Saffeidine ...... BJ Penn
  10. Heiron............ Fitch

Quality comparison (wins over common opponents not listed):

1. Gastellum > Bisping
  2. Thompson > Hendricks
  3. Maia < Shields
  4. Lawler < Diaz
  5. Till ................. Hughes
  6. Daley ............. Alvez
  7. Saffeidine ...... BJ Penn

Last edited:
He could very well be on his way, but hes not there yet... If Woodley keeps on winning, it could become a super fight and actually call GSPs interest.

The fact that GSP is overwhelmingly voted very strong goes to show the mental capacity of Sherdoggers. Hint: It's very low!

While the WW division was definitely the toughest around in his day, and he did rule not so long ago, the division is no doubt much tougher now.

Thus I voted fair, and very strong accordingly which is clearly the best representation of the talent of the opponents. Prime Maia is better than Prime Shields and certainly a way ahead both Fitch and Serra. Nick Diaz is one of the most overrated fighters of all time, and is a lesser skilled version of his brother. Gastelum would destroy this dude in diapers, and virtually got beat at MW and he demolished Bisping as well. Penn and Sherk were LWs, I mean Till is a MW, maybe even a LHW. They both beat Condit and Koscheck. They both arguably lost to Hendricks and Thompson respectively, but if you've got to pick one, Thompson is clearly the better fighter (having beat the shit out of Hendricks as well to prove it). Lawler probably beats Hughes.

Thus as you can see, the quality of Tyron's opponents are just better, and GSP actually had the most well-aging competition of the "old guard". GSP has him beat in quantity (even though that is shrinking), but no way in quality.

GSP Woodley
Fitch Thompson (X2)
BJ Penn Maia
Alves Till
Hardy
Koshcheck
Shields
Condit
Diaz
Hendricks

Number of consecutive title defenses: GSP 9 Woodley 4
Best Striker either of them fought: Thompson
Best Grappler either of them fought: Maia
Common opponents during title reign: 0
Common opponents in general: 4
Win/Loss ratio against common opponents: GSP 5-0 Woodley 3-1
Finishing percentage of common opponents: GSP 20% Woodley 75%

Make of that data what you will. In my opinion Woodley has fought the best striker and grappler and also the biggest opponent either of them has faced. BJ Penn is by far the best opponent either of them has faced in my opinion but he was also undersized. GSP has beaten all the common opponents they have while Shields beat Woodley, GSP has only finished Heiron as a common opponent. I think GSP's schedule is more impressive because of the variety of opponents and also longevity is hard to achieve in this sport. Woodley (in my opinion) has had a harder series of opponents though.
Your "facts" are incredibly biased. Hieron and Koshcheck were WAY past their primes when Woodley fought them so I would hardly think you can compare them to the fighters they were when they fought GSP. Also, Shields outgrappled Maia when they fought but I guess you'll just ignore that because Woodley lost to him so that wouldn't fit your angle.

Face it: Woodley has unavenged losses where he was soundly beaten and he is not even close to being the WW GOAT. A win over the completely unproven Darren Till does nothing to affect that

It's convenient saying that when you know we will never see prime GSP vs Woodley.

Comments like that have been a staple of GSP's career. "He can't beat that guy, he's never faced someone like him". Proceeds to dominate his opponent.

People are always going to say things like "he wouldn't be able beat the current guy". It happens all the time with legends or guys that are retired. There is always another guy and a fighter can't be around forever. But people will keep running their mouths no matter how many oppenents they have beat.

Woodley ain't on prime GSP's level. Dangerous matchup for sure, but GSP outclasses him.

Dude ain't considered GOAT for nothing. You guys have the memory of a goldfish.
Someone had to say it. Thank you.

The fact that GSP is overwhelmingly voted very strong goes to show the mental capacity of Sherdoggers. Hint: It's very low!

While the WW division was definitely the toughest around in his day, and he did rule not so long ago, the division is no doubt much tougher now.

Thus I voted fair, and very strong accordingly which is clearly the best representation of the talent of the opponents. Prime Maia is better than Prime Shields and certainly a way ahead both Fitch and Serra. Nick Diaz is one of the most overrated fighters of all time, and is a lesser skilled version of his brother. Gastelum would destroy this dude in diapers, and virtually got beat at MW and he demolished Bisping as well. Penn and Sherk were LWs, I mean Till is a MW, maybe even a LHW. They both beat Condit and Koscheck. They both arguably lost to Hendricks and Thompson respectively, but if you've got to pick one, Thompson is clearly the better fighter (having beat the shit out of Hendricks as well to prove it). Lawler probably beats Hughes.

Thus as you can see, the quality of Tyron's opponents are just better, and GSP actually had the most well-aging competition of the "old guard". GSP has him beat in quantity (even though that is shrinking), but no way in quality.
Till weighed in at 169 so he is a WW. And your math is wrong.

Reality is GSP is the GOAT and Tyronn Woodley is making a case for one of the best ever in his division's history. You can't compare eras because MMA continues to evolve, and evolve rapidly.

Back