Rate GSP's Strength of Opposition vs. Woodley's

Rate GSP's Strength of Opposition vs. Woodley's

• Total voters
You're a fucking retard troll. You post GIFs of GSP against Hendricks which has absolutely nothing to do with this discussion. GSP had already "retired" in his mind, and it wasn't his greatest fight. Everbody knows that. I didn't mention Hendricks and you're posting fucking retard troll GIFs. Plus Hendricks was obviously juicing pre-USADA, so again, meaningless comparisons.

Tyron Woodley would get jabbed at will by GSP from a distance. Because GSP would be jabbing, that counter right hand Tyron throws wouldn't work. And as I mentioned, Tyron is better against southpaws. GSP would fight from the orthodox stance, which would further protect him from Tyrons right hand.

Tyron would absolutely start making mistakes once GSP breaks him down with the jab, at which point GSP would take him down at will.
OMG you really on his balls tight and snug ain't ya? Holy hell<45>

I don't understand why many of you cannot simply appreciate Woodley as the current champion without jumping into all-time talk?

I like Woodley, but comparing his career to GSP at this point isn't reasonable. Woodley has a long way to go before his resume is worthy of this debate and that's not a dig, it's just a fact.

Hypotheticals about a head-to-head match up are reasonable, but it is likely we'll never see this match. GSP is only fighting to cement his legacy or retirement fund at this point and I don't blame him. How many greats have we seen tarnish their legacy, because they couldn't let go when their time was up?

As a sidenote, Woody just appeared on HK's Instagram, which makes me an even bigger fan. He's pro 2A and has good taste in firearms

That’s a really cool photo, Woodley looks like a killer.

I'm the one angling? Are you seriously suggesting Maia a multiple world champion BJJ practitioner is not as good of a grappler as Jake fucking Shields? Seriously? I have a feeling all you guys mentioning the Woodley/Shields fight actually haven't seen it and are just going by Wiki or fight finder. Woodley fought Thompson who's a better striker than anyone GSP fought. He fought Maia who's a better grappler (yes that includes Shields) than anyone GSP fought. Till is like a gigantic version of Hardy, a guy who GSP couldn't stop by the way and also bigger than anyone GSP fought. Having unavenged losses doesn't mean shit when one of the guys has failed multiple PED tests and the other guy doesn't fight in the organization you're in. GSP fans are like Michael Jordan fans who deny Lebron is simply a younger, bigger, faster, more athletic, more skilled version of Jordan. GSP was good in his era but his day has passed. Woodley kills any version of GSP and that's the reason GSP will avoid him, like he avoided Anderson for years and years and avoided Romero and Whittaker.
FUUUCCKKKK BRO You had me in full agreement till you brought up Jordan vs Lebron. I'm just gonna excuse that tho, great post(especially about Maia), he really doesn't get alot of respect these days since guys like Andy and Tyron cracked the code on him.

Woodly would be by far GSP’s toughest test out of today’s crop of fighters. That said, Robbie, Wonderboy and Maia are not well rounded enough to compete with GSP in an mma fight.

I think prime Hendricks (the one who beat Condit and Lawler, and, in truth, GSP) would beat prime Woodley.

They had comparable amounts of power, comparable wrestling, and Hendricks was way busier in the cage. He threw a lot of volume. Tyron has never had the conditioning to do that (look how he got outworked by Jake Shields, who simply peppered him with volume for three rounds). Hendricks beat better opponents in their prime (I'm including GSP in this, because Hendricks definitely won whatever the judges say) and he had the cardio to keep working for 25 minutes.
Prime Woodley ( when he actually wasn't training himself lol) is a better version of Hendricks. He's much bigger, stronger, quicker, longer reach, I'd argue has shown more power in his strikes and better fight IQ. Before his career went to hell, bigg rigg was one of my favs but If I have to compare him to Woodley I have to be real. Although Rigg definitely had big power in his left hand he only Ko'd 2 ranked opponents during his run (Fitch & Kampmann). Rigg was certainly more aggressive than Woodley, but I think that also bit him in the ass several times, Tyron doesn't make the mistakes that Rigg used to by leaving himself open. Hendricks did not beat better opponents than Woodley. Rigg beat Fitch, Kos, Condit & Robbie(once). That's some solid ass wins but when you compare them to Woodley it's a no contest, Woodley easily Starched both Kos & Robbie, and was winning the Condit fight handily till he suddenly finished Condit. All of these wins don't even include his most recent 4 title defenses. There is no debate between them regarding wins if we are being unbiased & honest. I think the Cardio thing with Woodley is overblown a bit, he tends to control the pace of fights fairly well, he might not have the best gas tank but it's not a severe weakness either. He wasn't even breathing heavy when he won this weekend, and that was after he delivered hellish ground and pound on Till. Rigg was Version1.0 Woodley is Version2.0.

Last edited:
Prime Woodley ( when he actually wasn't training himself lol) is a better version of Hendricks. He's much bigger, stronger, quicker, longer reach, I'd argue has shown more power in his strikes and better fight IQ. Before his career went to hell, bigg rigg was one of my favs but If I have to compare him to Woodley I have to be real. Although Rigg definitely had big power in his left hand he only Ko'd 2 ranked opponents during his run (Fitch & Kampmann). Rigg was certainly more aggressive than Woodley, but I think that also bit him in the ass several times, Tyron doesn't make the mistakes that Rigg used to by leaving himself open. Hendricks did not beat better opponents than Woodley, he beat Fitch, Kos, Condit & Robbie(once). That's some solid ass wins but when you compare them to Woodley it's a no contest, Woodley easily Starched both Kos & Robbie, and was winning the Condit fight till he finished Condit. All of these wins don't even include his most recent 4 title defenses. There is no debate between them regarding wins if we are being unbiased & honest. I think the Cardio thing with Woodley is overblown a bit, he tends to control the pace of fights fairly well, he might not have the best gas tank but it's not a severe weakness either. He wasn't even breathing heavy when he won this weekend, and that was after he delivered hellish ground and pound on Till. Rigg was Version1.0 Woodley is Version2.0.

Not disagreeing but let's not forget Hendricks had those losses vs GSP and Lawler as controversial split decisions.
Until the Wonderboy fight, he was never dominated like Rory dominated Woodley, for example.
Also, you can see some of Woodley weaknesses in the Gastelum fight.
I wonder how his cardio would do vs Usman.

Not disagreeing but let's not forget Hendricks had those losses vs GSP and Lawler as controversial split decisions.
Until the Wonderboy fight, he was never dominated like Rory dominated Woodley, for example.
Also, you can see some of Woodley weaknesses in the Gastelum fight.
I wonder how his cardio would do vs Usman.
We'll have to wait and see regarding the Usman fight, I personally wanna see Usman fight one more guy before getting the shot. We still don't know enough about him yet imo. There are so many savages in the WW division, I'd like to see him fight again and stay off the shelf while Woodley and Colby hash it out. Woodley has certainly had some disappointing fights in the past, though I won't hold the Gastelum fight against him as Gastelum was completely unprofessional and didn't make weight, iirc he wasn't even close. Rory at his peak was no joke, he had a great skillset to counter Woodley. I'm probably gonna make a thread this week going more in depth about that fight and why Woodley had such a tough time, tho imo the Woodley today would soundly defeat the Rory today. So that fight ended up just being a bump in the Road. Rigg was definitely a little spartan in his hayday and he was never clearly dominated, but he also never fought a prime Rory ;)

We'll have to wait and see regarding the Usman fight, I personally wanna see Usman fight one more guy before getting the shot. We still don't know enough about him yet imo. There are so many savages in the WW division, I'd like to see him fight again and stay off the shelf while Woodley and Colby hash it out. Woodley has certainly had some disappointing fights in the past, though I won't hold the Gastelum fight against him as Gastelum was completely unprofessional and didn't make weight, iirc he wasn't even close. Rory at his peak was no joke, he had a great skillset to counter Woodley. I'm probably gonna make a thread this week going more in depth about that fight and why Woodley had such a tough time, tho imo the Woodley today would soundly defeat the Rory today. So that fight ended up just being a bump in the Road. Rigg was definitely a little spartan in his hayday and he was never clearly dominated, but he also never fought a prime Rory ;)

So many savages? From all those savages, only Colby and Usman are on a decent winning streak.
I would be shocked if Colby would outwrestle Woodley, but Usman can do it...

Wonderboy had his chance
Lawler is old and injured
RDA just lost
Maia is on a losing streak
Maybe Ponzi, but I don't see him beating Woodley
Edwards would get destroyed easily

The Gastelum fight was unprofessional, but the decision was controversial, still.
Rigg fought prime GSP (controversial loss) and Lawler who beat Rory. Style makes the fight, I know...

GSP has never faced someone as quick and powerful as Tyron Woodley with A+ wrestling defense to boot, tho Woodley has faced much better strikers than GSP.
Woodley has not faced anyone nearly as well rounded or good as Georges.

GSP has already faced and beaten fast, powerful wrestlers with an overhand right. Guys who were better offensive wrestlers than Woodley too.

GSP has never faced someone as quick and powerful as Tyron Woodley with A+ wrestling defense to boot, tho Woodley has faced much better strikers than GSP.

Josh KOS is a better version of Tyron. KOS had better wrestling than Tyron, and had similar power.

People forget because GSP out wrestled him and then totally ruined his career by destroying his face bones by jabbing him into retirement. KOS was never the same after getting his eye ruined. He admits it was a life altering fight and injury.

I never called him GOAT of anything, but if we are talking about a strait fight Woodley is honestly a more dangerous and clever version of Hendricks, the same Hendricks who took GSP to the absolute limit. Woodley is too old to ever surpass the legacy of GSP, but if they fought prime for prime I think Woodley would sleep him off a jab counter more times than not.
I think Woodley would edge GSP as well. However, I think GSP loose less often vs other opponents than Woodley would. Woodley is the worst style matchup for GSP. Great TDD and super dangerous striking.

I give GSP very strong and TWood as strong. I think it should be pretty obvious to anyone that has been watching for a long time the GSP has had the toughest competition out of anyone, ever.

People going to be biased as hell.

There is no reasoning with GSP fans

if he wants to be called goat he's got to take some massive fights, beat GSP, or continue his reign for a very long time.

Given his age, if he's serious about being a goat he really should go for some big fights asap

Back