Movies Rate and Discuss the Last Movie You Saw v.16

Nomadland, caught my attention because I think Frances McDormand is one of the best actress. And the movie does not disappoint. I enjoyed learning about people who choose this lifestyle and how they get by. Quality of movies being released during pandemic has taken a nose dive, Minari and Nomadland are the rare exceptions.

Recommended!

i watched blade runner the final cut again, i think this is the only version ive seen as i dont remember ever seeing the theatrical ending. I still think I liked 2049 better. I'll have to watch the sequel again tho as I only saw it once in theaters. The original had good visuals and setting but it was just mad slow, bro. also i missed the part about harrison ford being a replicant, i had to look that up but i prolly missed the unicorn scene earlier in the movie

i watched blade runner the final cut again, i think this is the only version ive seen as i dont remember ever seeing the theatrical ending. I still think I liked 2049 better. I'll have to watch the sequel again tho as I only saw it once in theaters. The original had good visuals and setting but it was just mad slow, bro. also i missed the part about harrison ford being a replicant, i had to look that up but i prolly missed the unicorn scene earlier in the movie

I had to watch the first one a few times to really appreciate it. I personally like it more than 2049 as I love the darker atmosphere the original has, and Roy Batty's character is more interesting to me than the characters in 2049. They're both great movies though.

I had to watch the first one a few times to really appreciate it. I personally like it more than 2049 as I love the darker atmosphere the original has, and Roy Batty's character is more interesting to me than the characters in 2049. They're both great movies though.
i agree roy batty is a better villain, it is darker like when he squeezes out that guys eyes lol. i feel 2049 has a better story tho

i just rewatched 2049 and i think i liked it better in the theater, its also slow and is actually like 40 min longer than the original. i liked the mystery of it and the ending was a bit more satisfying. hard to rate them against each other

8aa7239449a0e202b8c5f7f7dc00f1df.jpg

Wolf Creek (2005) - A horror/thriller starring Jeff Jarratt (Mick Taylor) and Nathan Phillips (Ben Mitchell). In the desolate Australian desert three backpackers are harassed and pursued by a psychopathic killer. The vast outback setting was built-up well and worked. The one thing I will address and say about Wolf Creek was its very serious in tone and the sequel was less serious and had humor. The body count was reasonably low for a standard horror movie. 8/10

SOUND OF METAL
8/10 maybe 9/10

Riz Ahmed gives a very good performance playing a drummer in a small metal band and all of a sudden he starts to lose his hearing to the point of being deaf. He joins a deaf community to learn how to cope and live with being deaf. All the while he is super hopeful to get a cochlear implant so he can hear again. This movie was very interesting and a little hard to watch for me as I suffer from some tinnitus. After the movie I researched cochlear implants (not for me but to see if it's true how the movie portrayed them).

Widows [Amazon Prime]

6/10

A group of women whose husbands are killed in a heist gone wrong, are coerced into carrying out what was planned to be the next job for their spouses. Directed by Steve McQueen, it has a strong cast and is a polished take on the heist movie, as may be expected from such a director. The movie focuses on the build up to the heist with the actual event serving as the story's climax, and is pretty engaging in unravelling the plot. Worth a watch if youre short of a pick.

I watched My Girl again. It's been a number of years since I last saw it. Probably over a decade. I really enjoyed it. It was a great little movie. Awesome soundtrack. Touching story. Fine acting. And my God, this was possibly Jamie Lee Curtis at her hottest. Wow! Definitely would.

Solid 7.5/10

Prisoners

6/10

Two young girls go missing, and in desperation, the father of one of the girls abducts and holds prisoner the main suspect. Jake Gyllenhaal is the cop set to the task of solving the case, and performs well in a role that seems to suit him. The film moves along nicely and is tinged with suspense from quite early on, drawing you into the mystery of the disappearance. I gave it 6 because although enjoyable, it is fairly standard stuff, and I thought it could have been a bit shorter tbh. Decent watch but one of those exaggerated imdb scores [8] imo.

Unstoppable

7/10

Korean action thriller; a woman is abducted and her husband - a man with a fearsome reputation from his past, seeks to get her back, Liam Neeson style. Obviously, a well-worn concept, but done with the quirky buddy-humour common place in Korean movies which makes it quite enjoyable, and overall why I gave it a higher score than I would most other similar movies. Taking me more time to find something to watch lately, but this was a pleasing choice.

Prisoners

6/10

Two young girls go missing, and in desperation, the father of one of the girls abducts and holds prisoner the main suspect. Jake Gyllenhaal is the cop set to the task of solving the case, and performs well in a role that seems to suit him. The film moves along nicely and is tinged with suspense from quite early on, drawing you into the mystery of the disappearance. I gave it 6 because although enjoyable, it is fairly standard stuff, and I thought it could have been a bit shorter tbh. Decent watch but one of those exaggerated imdb scores [8] imo.
I liked it, it was a good movie

The Invisible Man (2020)
One of those 'new takes' on the old horror movie, which I have a soft spot for but this was just meh. Woman does a midnight runner from her abusive husband who is a successful wealthy scientist and of course, the invisible man. There's a new take on what makes him invisible which is quite cool I guess, but overall it's a flat movie and not a horror.
5/10

Wander (2020)

This wasn't too bad, in a 'didn't expect much from it but it was okay' way. Grizzled ex-private eye and paranoid conspiracy theorist arrives in small non-descript town of Wander to investigate shenanigans he believes might be related to the disappearance of his daughter. Turns out, he wasn't paranoid after all, and there's a bigger conspiracy at work. Not bad.
6/10

I agree - that the "comedic relief" felt forced, and that the movie had great promise and memorable cinematography; and that it didn't have a way to tie the story together so it settled for an overexplanation halfway through and a cheap "twist" at the end.
Agreed, thought the action, reactions of life and death situations showed a lack of directorial expertise.

Wolf Creek 2 (2013) - A sequel to the 2005 horror/thriller, Wolf Creek. This movie takes a less serious, fun approach unlike its predecessor. Thumbs up!

latest

What Lies Below (2020)
Didn't know anything about this before I settled into it apart from it's got a horribly clunky title and was billed as a horror. Mena Suvari (still pretty hot), takes her daughter to their lake cabin where surprise, surprise, she's got her new boyfriend / fiancee waiting - he's basically Mr Perfect. He's a biologist working with lake fauna and has turned the basement into a study lab where he's weirdly obsessed with lampreys (but there's no particular reason given for this, they just look freaky I suppose which adds to the film).
He's weird. He does some disturbing things, one particularly disturbing thing actually. What looks like being your typical 'Mr Perfect is actually a psycho' psychological thriller, takes a VERY surprising turn in the final third and I didn't see it coming. It wasn't good, but the fact it ended the way it did at least was a surprise of sorts.
5/10

White Boy Rick [Netflix]

8/10

True story of a teenager from Detroit who was recruited by the FBI during the 80s crack epidemic as an undercover drugs buyer & then seller at the age of 14. Its hard to give further detail without giving away the plot, but unsurprisingly, the story doesnt end well. Richie Merrit is excellent in the lead -a memorable introductory performance. Matthew McConahghey Conaughey is another stand out, and made me consider that he doesnt get mentioned enough -hes a very good actor.

Would highly recommend checking out the documentary 'White Boy' (conveniently also on Netflix) for further insight into this quite amazing story. The movie only really touches on some of the broader political context to the story, and the complete picture is quite shocking.

White Boy Rick [Netflix]

Would highly recommend checking out the documentary 'White Boy' (conveniently also on Netflix) for further insight into this quite amazing story. The movie only really touches on some of the broader political context to the story, and the complete picture is quite shocking.

Don't confuse White boy with the movie White Boyz but if you do you'll be glad you did.

Back