• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Movies Rate and Discuss the Last Movie You Saw v.16

Blind Fury (1989)

Rutger Hauer/Nick Parker was a U.S. soldier who suffered visual impairment in the Vietnam war. Trained by villagers the blind Rutger Hauer/Nick Parker becomes a master swordsman using all of his other senses to fight. Years later, he is searching for his military friend, Terry O'Quinn/Frank Devereaux and he inadvertently stumbles into a hilarious boatload of trouble. The movie is so funny!

Total Recall (90)

-

among my top tier Arnold. Rewatch factor is insane, i watched it 3 times within the last year. I'm all about it. The feel and atmosphere are like a dream scanned into your memory, as is the plot. But it's done with purpose, clever but constantly moving, entertaining and fast paced.

9.25/10

Kramer vs. Kramer

I saw it years ago, as a kid, and it’s definitely one of those films where I did not appreciate it at the time because a lot of the nuanced views on relationships were beyond me.

I thought it was a really good, emotional movie. It might be the gold standard of films that deal with divorce. I liked Marriage Story a few years back and that one absolutely owes a lot to this film.

I think you have to give a lot of props to the young actor Justin Henry. One of the all-time great child actor performances. Like the young actress in the Goodbye Girl, nothing in the performance feels overly contrived or inorganic. In this film, the dialogue seemed spot on for how a young person in that scenario would act. So both the screenplay and performance were very earnest.

Hoffman and Streep were both very good. I also thought the way Hoffman interacted with his son- how he wouldn’t shy away from talking about the reality of the situation between him and the wife, and instead would explain things in a way that made it more readily understandable was a really good aspect of the movie. It seemed very authentic.

By the time it gets to the court case, I felt the condescension of the lawyers toward each Kramer was a bit over the top, but, scarily, I’m probably being very naive and a lot of divorce cases are probably far more vicious than that.

I think it’s a really good drama that feels like it has something significant to say about family dynamics.

8.5/10

Side note- I recently caught some of Mrs. Doubtfire on TV and it’s interesting that it seems to borrow some elements from two big-time Hoffman movies in Kramer vs. Kramer and Tootsie.

Kramer vs. Kramer

I saw it years ago, as a kid, and it’s definitely one of those films where I did not appreciate it at the time because a lot of the nuanced views on relationships were beyond me.

I thought it was a really good, emotional movie. It might be the gold standard of films that deal with divorce. I liked Marriage Story a few years back and that one absolutely owes a lot to this film.

I think you have to give a lot of props to the young actor Justin Henry. One of the all-time great child actor performances. Like the young actress in the Goodbye Girl, nothing in the performance feels overly contrived or inorganic. In this film, the dialogue seemed spot on for how a young person in that scenario would act. So both the screenplay and performance were very earnest.

Hoffman and Streep were both very good. I also thought the way Hoffman interacted with his son- how he wouldn’t shy away from talking about the reality of the situation between him and the wife, and instead would explain things in a way that made it more readily understandable was a really good aspect of the movie. It seemed very authentic.

By the time it gets to the court case, I felt the condescension of the lawyers toward each Kramer was a bit over the top, but, scarily, I’m probably being very naive and a lot of divorce cases are probably far more vicious than that.

I think it’s a really good drama that feels like it has something significant to say about family dynamics.

8.5/10

Side note- I recently caught some of Mrs. Doubtfire on TV and it’s interesting that it seems to borrow some elements from two big-time Hoffman movies in Kramer vs. Kramer and Tootsie.

I gave it the same score I think. I really liked it.

Yeah marriage story owes a lot to it. Very good film in it's own right but not as good imo. Sort of like a spiritual successor.

No Country for Old Men (USA, 2007)

Neo-western directed by the Coen brothers and starring Josh Brolin, Javier Bardem, and Tommy Lee Jones.

Set in 1980 Texas, Vietnam vet Llewelyn Moss (Brolin) is out hunting when he stumbles across the remnants of a drug deal gone bad. All the participants are dead but a suitcase filled with $2m in cash is there for the taking. Moss takes it and ignites a grim and deadly chase between him and the people determined to get the money back. Chief among those pursuers is ruthless psychopath Anton Chigurh (Bardem).

Meanwhile, local sheriff Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones) is a step behind trying to figure out what is going on and how to stop the deadly events that are unfolding all around him.

I love this dark, grim, depressing film so damn much. Moss is a tough resourceful man. Chigurh is an irresistible force that sometimes feels like a monster out of a horror movie. Moss' weakness, in this grim part of the world, is having a wife that he loves and the decency to offer water to a dying man.

Sheriff Bell, perhaps ultimately the true protagonist of the film, is a smart and wily lawman but struggles to not to be overmatched by the sheer brutality of the people that he is chasing.

The Coens do not take a single wrong step in this film. They do not use any gimmicks. None are needed with a story this good, Cormac McCarthy's words (the film is based on his novel), and the talent on the screen. Brolin and Bardem were mostly unknowns to me when this came out and that made the film even better for me.

All time great film.

Rating: 10/10.

Last edited:

Neo-western directed by the Coen brothers and starring Josh Brolin, Javier Bardem, and Tommy Lee Jones.

Set in 1980 Texas, Vietnam vet Llewelyn Moss (Brolin) is out hunting when he stumbles across the remnants of a drug deal gone bad. All the participants are dead but a suitcase filled with $2m in cash is there for the taking. Moss takes it and ignites a grim and deadly chase between him and the people determined to get the money back. Chief among those pursuers is ruthless psychopath Anton Chigurh (Bardem).

Meanwhile, local sheriff (Ed Tom Bell) is a step behind trying to figure out what is going on and how to stop the deadly events that are unfolding all around him.

I love this dark, grim, depressing film so damn much. Moss is a tough resourceful man. Chigurh is an irresistible force that sometimes feels like a monster out of a horror movie. Moss' weakness, in this grim part of the world, is having a wife that he loves and the decency to offer water to a dying man.

Sheriff Bell, perhaps ultimately the true protagonist of the film, is a smart and wily lawman but struggles to not to be overmatched by the sheer brutality of the people that he is chasing.

The Coens do not take a single wrong step in this film. They do not use any gimmicks. None are needed with a story this good, Cormac McCarthy's words (the film is based on his novel), and the talent on the screen. Brolin and Bardem were mostly unknowns to me when this came out and that made the film even better for me.

All time great film.

Yeah not much I can say to criticize this movie. It's one like Misery or Jaws where they took a good but not otherworldly book and made a hell of a better movie out of it than I would have pictured before seeing it.

Meanwhile, local sheriff (Ed Tom Bell) is a step behind trying to figure out what is going on and how to stop the deadly events that are unfolding all around him.

All time great film.

I really think it’s the best film to win an Oscar for best picture since 2005. A true modern classic. Love the ending, too. TLJ reflecting on those two dreams is the perfect way to cap it off and an example of great acting to boot.

Those three lead performances are all really impressive. Bardem got the lion’s share of the praise and won all those accolades, which he really deserved, but you could have easily had TLJ and Brolin up for the same Oscar in my opinion. All three of them were that good.

Coens built phenomenal tension in that scene where Chigurh confronts Moss at the motel. I remember legitimately feeling anxious watching it in the theater and practically jumping out of my seat when he punched out the lock with the cattle gun.

I really think it’s the best film to win an Oscar for best picture since 2005. A true modern classic. Love the ending, too. TLJ reflecting on those two dreams is the perfect way to cap it off and an example of great acting to boot.

Those three lead performances are all really impressive. Bardem got the lion’s share of the praise and won all those accolades, which he really deserved, but you could have easily had TLJ and Brolin up for the same Oscar in my opinion. All three of them were that good.

Coens built phenomenal tension in that scene where Chigurh confronts Moss at the motel. I remember legitimately feeling anxious watching it in the theater and practically jumping out of my seat when he punched out the lock with the cattle gun.
except TWBB was/is better :3

literally insane that they were same year though. like holy shit

Yeah not much I can say to criticize this movie. It's one like Misery or Jaws where they took a good but not otherworldly book and made a hell of a better movie out of it than I would have pictured before seeing it.

I read the book after I watched the movie (I was so glad I did it in that order because the profound tension in the film version would have been ruined).

I completely agree with you - the novel is good but the film is better.

all of the action scenes in this film are perfectly done. tense. violent. brutal. it amazes me that the Coen brothers can just randomly do action scenes that are that exceptional

agree with the acting. all the main roles were worthy of award attention. Brolin wowed me. Incredible screen presence.

except TWBB was/is better :3

literally insane that they were same year though. like holy shit

not only did they come out the same year but I believe that at one point they were being shot near each other in Texas. how is that for coincidence?

I probably favor No Country for Old Men but There Will be Blood is a 10/10 movie as well. it is high up on my re-watch queue

not only did they come out the same year but I believe that at one point they were being shot near each other in Texas. how is that for coincidence?

I probably favor No Country for Old Men but There Will be Blood is a 10/10 movie as well. it is high up on my re-watch queue
i rewatch TWBB about once every 1-2 months. not only is it one of my top 3 favorites of all time, it’s also become a weird comfort movie for me. love it to death

i rewatch TWBB about once every 1-2 months. not only is it one of my top 3 favorites of all time, it’s also become a weird comfort movie for me. love it to death

that is a heavy movie to watch a half dozen times a year but you do you hahahaha

it is a great great movie. now I am getting even more interested in re-watching it. it has been a few years for me since I have last watched it

that is a heavy movie to watch a half dozen times a year but you do you hahahaha

it is a great great movie. now I am getting even more interested in re-watching it. it has been a few years for me since I have last watched it
it’s one of those movies that exists out of time when i’m watching it, prob because i know it pretty much by heart at this point. there are three things i’m certain of in life: death, taxes, & daniel plainview shredding anyone that crosses his path

Polite Society - 3.5/5
Rye Lane - 4.5/5
Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret. - 3/5
Asteroid City - 3.5/5

Polite Society is a super fun crowd pleaser. Rye Lane might be the biggest surprise from my weekend movie ultrabinge. loved how it was shot & lit, loved the performances & characters, just loved the overall vibe, really. if all romcoms were as ambitious & stylish as Rye Lane people would have to take the genre seriously

Meanwhile, local sheriff Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones) is a step behind trying to figure out what is going on and how to stop the deadly events that are unfolding all around him.

All time great film.

I can't believe I've never taken the time to watch this yet . . .

Michael Clayton(2007)
Starring George Clooney, Tilda Swinton, Sydney Pollack, Tom Wilkinson
Directed by Tony Gilroy
8.5-9/10

Clooney stars as an attorney in NYC who does bag man/fixer types of jobs. His current assignment is to be a watchdog for his firm's star attorney who is mentally ill but is the lead defense attorney for a chemical company whose product has resulted in the deaths of hundreds. When said attorney discovers the company knew its product was dangerous but kept producing it anyway he decides to rat out the company but winds up dead. Now the company is after Clooney as well since he has discovered what the company was doing.

I usually steer clear of strictly dramatic movies but I'm glad I gave this one a go.

THE BRAVE (1997)

Johnny Depp casts himself as a poverty stricken Native American in a movie written and directed by Johnny Depp. He receives an offer of a substantial sum of money if he is willing to do some things nobody would ever want to do.

The movie makes some very bold promises about very big things in the first twenty or thirty minutes...Depp is either going to go through some extreme situations or go to hell and back to get out of them. Then it delivers on none of these promises as he meanders about his normal life for the next hour and a half doing pretty small things and pondering. Some people might view this as some sort of understated exercise in restraint...I mostly call it chickening out of your own movie.

The movie is a curiosity of sorts in that it is one of Marlon Brando's last roles. It is what we are used to for the most part from Last Tango in Paris onward and in escalating fashion since that movie...the guy who ate Marlon Brando mumbles and dawdles and gets lost in thought and may well have the lines tacked to the walls around him because he didn't want to read the script. His performance is the most interesting part of the movie though.

5.3 / 10.

THE BRAVE (1997)

Johnny Depp casts himself as a poverty stricken Native American in a movie written and directed by Johnny Depp. He receives an offer of a substantial sum of money if he is willing to do some things nobody would ever want to do.

The movie makes some very bold promises about very big things in the first twenty or thirty minutes...Depp is either going to go through some extreme situations or go to hell and back to get out of them. Then it delivers on none of these promises as he meanders about his normal life for the next hour and a half doing pretty small things and pondering. Some people might view this as some sort of understated exercise in restraint...I mostly call it chickening out of your own movie.

The movie is a curiosity of sorts in that it is one of Marlon Brando's last roles. It is what we are used to for the most part from Last Tango in Paris onward and in escalating fashion since that movie...the guy who ate Marlon Brando mumbles and dawdles and gets lost in thought and may well have the lines tacked to the walls around him because he didn't want to read the script. His performance is the most interesting part of the movie though.

5.3 / 10.

wow, never even heard of it. I’m pretty sure Brando and Depp were friends after having worked together on Don Juan Demarco so that’s probably how he managed to get him to do this. Did you ever see that one? I’ve heard it’s actually pretty entertaining.

Back