• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Movies Rate and Discuss the Last Movie You Saw v.16

Have you seen Your Friends and Neighbors with Aaron Eckhart, Jason Patric, Ben Stiller etc. Indian Summer makes me think of that movie. The small contained 1990s group of friends character relationships piece.
No never heard of it, is good?

The Super Mario Bros. Movie(2023)
-
It was good. Better than I'd expected it to be. Keeps the story simple enough and checks all the boxes it needs to check without phoning it in. Just a plain old properly made and easy to digest family film.

Voice actors were all good in their roles. Chris Pratt did better than I thought he would. Jack Black hams it up as Bowser and kills the "Peaches" song.

Stand out thing overall imo is the animation and overall look of the film. Mushroom kingdom looks awesome, animation was very smooth and there is some really fun action. There is even a training montage that seemed inspired by edge of tomorrow

I wasnt a big fan of Luigi getting sidelined for a chunk of the movie. Also wasnt a big fan of Toad in the movie. Overall though a well done simple animated movie.

Solid 7/10

Corey F was in another movie with Meredith Salenger, some kind of survivalist movie, Red Dawnesq, that was ok. Beyond that I can't think of anything

Edge of Honor. Man you are so kind and forgiving with cheesy movies. I think this one was roughly the same plot as Survival Quest with Lance Henriksen...but without the grounded charisma of Lance to carry the whole thing.

Edge of Honor. Man you are so kind and forgiving with cheesy movies. I think this one was roughly the same plot as Survival Quest with Lance Henriksen...but without the grounded charisma of Lance to carry the whole thing.

Lol. I'm so unfamiliar with Feldman's filmography outside of the classics like Stand by Me and The Lost Boys. The Goonies never really resonated with me for whatever reason but I really enjoy those other two. First time hearing about some of these other films. Also had no idea that Oswalt had remarried and that he is married to Salenger.

Lol. I'm so unfamiliar with Feldman's filmography outside of the classics like Stand by Me and The Lost Boys. The Goonies never really resonated with me for whatever reason but I really enjoy those other two. First time hearing about some of these other films. Also had no idea that Oswalt had remarried and that he is married to Salenger.

Yeah Patton Oswalt pulled the king of Lyle Lovett / Ric Ocasek mismatch marriages. For one, Oswalt isn't a rock star and is also more of a goblin than any of those guys ever were.

And the worst part is the hypocrisy.

When I see a 3.9 score on IMDB I think yep, that's not too low. Only when it drops into the 2's do I start to wonder if it might not be great

Yeah pretty good. Jason Patric has one of the craziest monologues in any movie. Up there with Gary Busey in Surviving the Game. Eckhart is pretty funny in it.
That movie came out, and I legit got an HIV letter about 2 months after seeing it. I was clean, but oh my…what a scare.

I wonder if people even get letters or notifications like that anymore. I was in college.

Silver Linings Playbook
-
Haven't seen it since it came out. It still holds up very well and is still funny. I thought the film did a good job of dealing with mental illness with enough care that is doesnt feel like it's mocking it. At the same time it never feels like the film gets depressing enough to ruin the comedic aspects.

Cooper and Lawrence have great chemistry in it, and both are able to balance the serious and lighthearted in tune with the bipolar theme and tone of the movie. Robert Deniro is fantastic and hilarious in it too.

Overall I think it's a very funny and well done film. I dont have many issues with it. The bipolar theme and nature of the film could come off as a safeguard for the film to do whatever it wants with the tone. However I guess if that doorway is open why not use it.

Also, maybe wrapped up in a little too nice of a bow at the end but I can't deny I was satisfied with the the ending.

8/10 maybe.

just rewatched it myself. Forgot how good it was actually

Sisu
-
It was okay. I thought I would've liked it a bit more than i did, I think because it was sold as this over the top guns blazing action film.

I mean it does have some blood and guts type stuff here and there but it is kinda sporadic. It does have some very good action at times though. The pacing of the film is kinda uneven too and at times can feel a little slow especially for a 90 minute movie.

The main character is more of a force of nature than a character. Everything you learn about him comes from other characters describing the lore and legend behind him. And from what the film presents, it's all proven to be true.

"Immortal" is how he is described and you believe why by the time it is over. The stuff he survives in the film is at times extremely unbelievable. But there are also moments where the Nazis have him right in front of them several times and the movie needs to come up with excuses for them not to kill him, it reaches Bond levels in this regard.

It's almost as if the film is satirizing the seemingly invincible and heavily plot armored action heroes. But I'm not exactly convinced it was the intention yet. I'll have to think about it.

Overall I'd give it around a 6.6/10 and I might be being a little generous there. It has good moments but I was a little underwhelmed considering some of the hype.

Last edited:
OPPENHEIMER

I think I'm of the same mind as Dragon Lord. This one's about a 7.1.

Based on recent history I kind of doubt there will be ten better movies this year so it will and should get some nominations...but the movie has some issues. It relies very heavily on the score to create drama or any emotional reaction most of the time rather than what is happening on the screen.

I have heard some say Matt Damon felt a little out of place. I was glad every time he was on screen because it was a breath of fresh air to have someone relatable to ground things emotionally.

Cillian Murphy and Robert Downey Jr. are both good but neither is very relatable. And Cillian Murphy has always had the same "otherness" quality as someone like Christopher Lambert so Matt Damon was welcome here to bring a little normal charm the way Sean Connery was in Highlander.

The movie seems to take 45 minutes to even get going. It really only gets some real momentum when Hitler dies and they have to make decisions about Japan. Then the movie reverts to the overarching series of hearings that frame the movie...all of them about some scheming in political hallways and what Oppenheimer's reputation will be after the hearings are resolved.

But the movie doesn't do very much to create any emotional investment in Oppenheimer's reputation or security clearance...certainly not for the time spent on it (most of a three hour movie) or how minor that is compared to whether they succeed at making the bomb or the fates of those who get to have it dropped upon them.

It was edited strangely, bouncing back and forth and back and forth between different time periods without much chance to take a breath.

I thought the movie could have created some investing scenes and interesting dilemmas about Leo Szilard's letter from the scientists to make a display detonation on an uninhabited area to persuade Japan to surrender without civilian casualties. But this letter was just barely touched upon in passing and the movie breezes by it.

It was good but for a movie about a scientist, something like The Theory of Everything creates much more emotional investment. For a movie about what was happening behind the scenes in World War 2, so do The Imitation Game, The Darkest Hour and Conspiracy.

I'm not sure I'm a fan of the way the movie was structured. I think the first hour could have been cut down. I'm not sure framing the entire story by way of the issues with Robert Downey Jr. / Strauss was an economical choice.

Maybe I will think more highly of it with further contemplation.

Avenging_Force.jpg

giphy.gif

Avenging Force is a sequel to Invasion U.S.A. starring Chuck Norris. In Louisiana, Senator Larry Richards (Steve James) and his family is targeted by the Pentangle, a radical political regime. Captain Matt Hunter (Michael Dudikoff) is a friend and bodyguard to Larry Richards. The Pentangle engages in a survival game against Matt Hunter. I really like it. Thumbs way up!

Last edited:
Avenging_Force.jpg

giphy.gif

Avenging Force is a sequel to Invasion U.S.A. starring Chuck Norris. In Louisiana, Senator Larry Richards (Steve James) and his family is targeted by the Pentangle, a radical political regime. Captain Matt Hunter (Michael Dudikoff) is a friend and protector to Larry Richards. The Pentangle engages in a survival game against Matt Hunter. I really like it. Thumbs way up!
Awesome movie!

They Cloned Tyrone
-
It was okay. It's like stranger things in the hood. The comparisons to Jordan Peele stuff like get out and Us is hard to ignore but this leans a little more toward comedy than those films. It's got a nice atmosphere to it, and it has the look of a 70s movie. The three main characters, Boyega, Foxx, and Parris are all good and have nice chemistry.

I didnt know Keifer Sutherland was in it but he's great in it.

The biggest problem for me, which seems to be a common occurrence for some of these Netflix films is that it doesnt know when to end and goes on a lot longer than it needed to.

Overall it's a decent scifi mystery movie with a good atmosphere and fun characters. But goes on too long and loses its nuance with the social commentary at times.

6.5/10

Last edited:
Melancholia (2011)

A dark and surreal drama written & directed by Lars von Trier, starring a brilliant cast headlined by Kirsten Dunst, Charlotte Gainsbourg, and Kiefer Sutherland.

The film begins with Justine (a beautiful whimsical young advertising executive played by Dunst) arriving late to her own wedding reception that is being held at the castle owned by her brother-in-law John (Sutherland) and sister Claire (Gainsbourg). Justine and her handsome, devoted husband Michael (Alexander Skarsgard) appear to be a perfect young couple but the dreamlike atmosphere at the reception is quickly extinguished by dysfunctional parents, a reptilian boss, and Justine's long time struggle with depression.

As Justine tries to carry on after the disastrous wedding, the world is on edge due to the unexpected appearance of a rogue planet (named "Melancholia"), that is expected to pass harmlessly past the Earth.

The less you know about the film in advance, the more enjoyable your experience will be.

While the film was divisive for some, I think it is a masterpiece. I watch it every couple of years and it is the sort of film that I wish I could watch again for the very first time. The entire cast is exceptional. Dunst has deservedly received critical acclaim for her performance. Gainsbourg is equally good as the "reliable, responsible sister" who flits back at forth between anger (she twice utters "sometimes I hate you so much, Justine") and dogged support for her difficult sister. In turn, Justine flits between being a victim and a cold hearted bitch who taunts her sister even as the world collapses around them.

As an aside, none of Justine's family has even remotely the same accent and the film ignores this very obvious and funny fact.

Note that while the film has a certain science fiction element, is is not a science fiction movie. At all.

Lars von Trier has made some brilliant films but he is controversial for both things he has said publicly and a string of accusations about things that he done privately (including sexual harassment and animal cruelty). I am not up to date on what happened in each case.

Rating: 9/10

upload_2023-7-24_9-32-11.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2023-7-24_9-31-54.jpeg
    upload_2023-7-24_9-31-54.jpeg
    8.4 KB · Views: 1
Back