• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Movies Rate and Discuss the Last Movie You Saw v.16

Ha. I was pretty underwhelmed. I thought Elgort was miscast.

Mike faist was probably the best part of the movie.

It's his time to spend but I think Spielberg makes a greater contribution with Munich / The Post type stuff as opposed to repeated exercises in grand empty spectacle like Indy 4 / Ready Player One / BFG / other stuff I can't bother to finish.

It's his time to spend but I think Spielberg makes a greater contribution with Munich / The Post type stuff as opposed to repeated exercises in grand empty spectacle like Indy 4 / Ready Player One / BFG / other stuff I can't bother to finish.

Havent seen post or bfg yet but I agree stuff like Munich and Bridge of Spies was the kind of road he shouldve kept on with. Munich still holds up extremely well and Bridge of Spies I had the desire to rewatch again not long after the first time which is a good indicator of how much I like something.

Ready player one....its alright I guess. Too much IP nostalgia that kinda suffocates the actual plot and characters.

As for west side story and Fableman's I think both are indicators that Spielberg is at the point he can do whatever he wants now and is essentially grandfathered into the academy.

WEST SIDE STORY

All right it's Steven Spielberg I've got to give it a chance. Movie opens with an extremely long tracking crane shot that...insists upon itself. It swoops over and under everything to eventually reveal a construction site. A gang of tough street hoods gathers up and walks through the streets and...they do a sissy dance that ends with them in a fighting stance. The guys from the Beat It video would smack the shit out of these dudes.

Fuck it I can't do this / 10.
Ha. I was pretty underwhelmed. I thought Elgort was miscast.

Mike faist was probably the best part of the movie.
I actually thought Spielberg did a descent job updating a dated classic with this. It was at least true to the spirit of the original. The original was no different in terms of choreography, etc.

I actually thought Spielberg did a descent job updating a dated classic with this. It was at least true to the spirit of the original. The original was no different in terms of choreography, etc.

I'm sure it's good for what it is. Stuff where characters break out into song or dance as a form of communicating with each other has never really been my bag for the most part. Maybe I'll circle back around to it at some point. I eventually got through Ready Player One in two sittings separated by a couple months.

I'm sure it's good for what it is. Stuff where characters break out into song or dance as a form of communicating with each other has never really been my bag for the most part. Maybe I'll circle back around to it at some point. I eventually got through Ready Player One in two sittings separated by a couple months.
I almost never like musicals. But, if you can appreciate the original, it is exactly the same in that respect.

I almost never like musicals. But, if you can appreciate the original, it is exactly the same in that respect.

Heh that first five or ten minutes or whatever it was...it just looked like I was going to be in for a long long ride. I don't know if anyone had even spoken a line by six minutes or whatever it was. Just that long ass crane shot and then a bunch of dudes poking their heads out of manholes, snapping and jazz handing their way through the streets.

Heh that first five or ten minutes or whatever it was...it just looked like I was going to be in for a long long ride. I don't know if anyone had even spoken a line by six minutes or whatever it was. Just that long ass crane shot and then a bunch of dudes poking their heads out of manholes, snapping and jazz handing their way through the streets.
Have you ever watched the original?

Have you ever watched the original?

Just bits and pieces over the years. It opened with some impressive aerial shots, incredibly steady for 1960 or whatever, that I preferred to Spielberg's ostentatious opening shot. Cinematography was good. Didn't really dig the dancing. Figured I might revisit it after the Spielberg thing but then just got tired out by it before the 10 minute mark. I preferred what I've seen of the original over what I've seen of Spielberg's though. But I can't say I've seen enough of either to really give a review.

Silver Linings Playbook
-
Haven't seen it since it came out. It still holds up very well and is still funny. I thought the film did a good job of dealing with mental illness with enough care that is doesnt feel like it's mocking it. At the same time it never feels like the film gets depressing enough to ruin the comedic aspects.

Cooper and Lawrence have great chemistry in it, and both are able to balance the serious and lighthearted in tune with the bipolar theme and tone of the movie. Robert Deniro is fantastic and hilarious in it too.

Overall I think it's a very funny and well done film. I dont have many issues with it. The bipolar theme and nature of the film could come off as a safeguard for the film to do whatever it wants with the tone. However I guess if that doorway is open why not use it.

Also, maybe wrapped up in a little too nice of a bow at the end but I can't deny I was satisfied with the the ending.

8/10 maybe.

Yeah I really liked it. But, at the end of the day, I watched the original with my family as a kid and we all really enjoyed it. So I went in as a fan of the classic. I think if you enjoyed the original Robert Wise movie, then the Spielberg movie will appeal to you. It makes enough changes to justify its existence (many of which are at least good) but also hits the major beats.

I do get that musicals as a genre, though, are very polarizing. I know quite a few people who just can't get on board with even the best examples of the genre. I feel like Singin' in the Rain is one of those that I recommend to anybody though because it's hilarious.

Silver Linings Playbook
-
Haven't seen it since it came out. It still holds up very well and is still funny. I thought the film did a good job of dealing with mental illness with enough care that is doesnt feel like it's mocking it. At the same time it never feels like the film gets depressing enough to ruin the comedic aspects.

Cooper and Lawrence have great chemistry in it, and both are able to balance the serious and lighthearted in tune with the bipolar theme and tone of the movie. Robert Deniro is fantastic and hilarious in it too.

Overall I think it's a very funny and well done film. I dont have many issues with it. The bipolar theme and nature of the film could come off as a safeguard for the film to do whatever it wants with the tone. However I guess if that doorway is open why not use it.

Also, maybe wrapped up in a little too nice of a bow at the end but I can't deny I was satisfied with the the ending.

8/10 maybe.

It's a really good film. To me, it's one of those movies that definitely feels like an adaptation of a novel and I think that all the main actors are pretty excellent in it. Cooper probably could have won an Oscar in a less competitive year (Going up against DDL in Lincoln and Joaquin in The Master- not happening). He was that good, in my opinion. Tough role and he hit the right tonal notes. Lawrence and DeNiro were great. I think one of the things I find most interesting about it was that there are lot of morally questionable tactics going on there-

Lawrence saying she will deliver the letter to Nikki and holding that over Cooper's head to keep him motivated for the dance competition, though she clearly has no intention of actually doing it.

DeNiro putting immense pressure on his son by using him as part of his self-destructive gambling behavior, etc.

But, in the end, you can see how all those principal characters legitimately care about each other, flaws and all. And Cooper and Lawrence's characters, going through a lot of difficulty in their lives, actually did help one another. That moment where Cooper gives his alternate letter to Lawrence feels like it earned its emotional payoff in that way.

It's a really good film. To me, it's one of those movies that definitely feels like an adaptation of a novel and I think that all the main actors are pretty excellent in it. Cooper probably could have won an Oscar in a less competitive year (Going up against DDL in Lincoln and Joaquin in The Master- not happening). He was that good, in my opinion. Tough role and he hit the right tonal notes. Lawrence and DeNiro were great. I think one of the things I find most interesting about it was that there are lot of morally questionable tactics going on there-

Lawrence saying she will deliver the letter to Nikki and holding that over Cooper's head to keep him motivated for the dance competition, though she clearly has no intention of actually doing it.

DeNiro putting immense pressure on his son by using him as part of his self-destructive gambling behavior, etc.

But, in the end, you can see how all those principal characters legitimately care about each other, flaws and all. And Cooper and Lawrence's characters, going through a lot of difficulty in their lives, actually did help one another. That moment where Cooper gives his alternate letter to Lawrence feels like it earned its emotional payoff in that way.

The questionable morality of some of the decisions didnt really bother me because they fit with the characters. The film develops them enough where you can see why they do what they do and what their intentions are.

BULLET TRAIN

7.5 for style
4.5 for substance
4.5 for annoying banter that was supposed to be quirky and pass for character development
7.0 for action

Not quite stylized enough for that to be an actual reason to see it like 300 or Sin City.

Overall...

6.1 / 10.

BULLET TRAIN

7.5 for style
4.5 for substance
4.5 for annoying banter that was supposed to be quirky and pass for character development
7.0 for action

Not quite stylized enough for that to be an actual reason to see it like 300 or Sin City.

Overall...

6.1 / 10.

I enjoyed it. It's no Avengement though. Did you like Nobody?

I enjoyed it. It's no Avengement though. Did you like Nobody?

Nobody...it was okay. 5.8 maybe. It started out somewhat promising and started to diminish significantly after about the one hour mark. Last half hour was just too silly for me to walk away still taking the first hour sort of seriously.

Nobody...it was okay. 5.8 maybe. It started out somewhat promising and started to diminish significantly after about the one hour mark. Last half hour was just too silly for me to walk away still taking the first hour sort of seriously.

Yeah I think everything up to and along with the Chrisopher Lloyd part was really good. Didnt like the main villain.

Warrior_Poster.jpg

Warrior (2011)

Tom Hardy as Tommy, Joel Edgerton as Brendan, Nick Nolte as Paddy, Frank Grilllo as Frank, Kurt Angle as Koba, and Anthony Johnson as Midnight. A military veteran returns home to Pittsburgh after war and begins training for a Sparta MMA tournament. Oddly enough his own brother will also be competing in the Sparta tournament. In the tournament three comeback wins was stretching it by a bit. Overall it's a good family movie. Thumbs up!

Last edited:
Warrior_Poster.jpg

Warrior (2011)

Tom Hardy as Tommy, Joel Edgerton as Brendan, Nick Nolte as Paddy, Frank Grilllo as Frank, Kurt Angle as Koba, and Johnson as Midnight. A military veteran returns home to Pittsburgh after war and begins training for a Sparta MMA tournament. Oddly enough his own brother will also be competing in the Sparta tournament. In the tournament three comeback wins in a row was stretching it by a bit. Overall it's a good family movie. Thumbs up!

Really liked this movie. Kurt Angle was great at his part. I would have given the movie 0.5 more if it didn't keep cutting to the TapOut guys as if I wanted to see their reactions to everything.

Really liked this movie. Kurt Angle was great at his part. I would have given the movie 0.5 more if it didn't keep cutting to the TapOut guys as if I wanted to see their reactions to everything.

But what about Tommy vs Koba as the final? For a minute there it seemed like that was going to happen

The tournament fight bracket seemed kind of wierd anyway, Brendan went through a fire storm in comparison

Warrior_Poster.jpg

Warrior (2011)

Tom Hardy as Tommy, Joel Edgerton as Brendan, Nick Nolte as Paddy, Frank Grilllo as Frank, Kurt Angle as Koba, and Anthony Johnson as Midnight. A military veteran returns home to Pittsburgh after war and begins training for a Sparta MMA tournament. Oddly enough his own brother will also be competing in the Sparta tournament. In the tournament three comeback wins was stretching it by a bit. Overall it's a good family movie. Thumbs up!

I liked it too. Nolte steals every scene he he in. Only thing was that I thought having the brothers both enter and end up in the championship seemed a little too good to be true and a little forced with how the tone was.

Back