Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Ok we got rash guard for top,
and bottom,

why not for our feet???
since wearing shoes makes you soo vulnerable to foot locks,
& socks come off easily............

do you guys think this is a crazy idea or a good one?

I don't think that's what he meant. I think he meant tight ankle high socks made of a rashguard material with grip on the bottom of them so you are able to shoot but don't have to worry as much about calloused thick skinned feet or mat burns on your toes.

I got a huge blood blister on my big toe training the other day. I've also thought about this before.

if it was just regular rasguard material you wouldn't have a foot to stand on.. would have to have nobby things like those slipper socks to work.

this idea.... intrigues me, like a tight fitting sock made out of rashguard material? hmmm, though yeah as mentioned it presents the problem of being able to shoot, because the material would have to have some base at the soles of your feet. doubt it will happen, but its a unique concept.

I'll stick with my Cael's :)

~Foz

Sorry, I could be wrong...but I would think you would look like a total Romo. Come on dude, rash guard socks?!

I do like the goal of the idea but the actual idea is not pratical. It would be like trying to fight on ice skates.

I think he is talking about something like Isotoner (sp) socks that have the rubber sole on them. I just don't see how you can make them tight enough to keep them from spinning on your feet when you are pushing off.
U504.jpg

www.SSFgear.com

SSF said:
I think he is talking about something like Isotoner (sp) socks that have the rubber sole on them. I just don't see how you can make them tight enough to keep them from spinning on your feet when you are pushing off.
U504.jpg

www.SSFgear.com

I think you can get similar tight socks for scuba diving so you have less chance of your flippers coming off.

They'd have to be quite elasticated but thin so you wouldn't end up with stinky grappler socks but so they wouldn't rotate. Maybe a thin strap with velcro above the ball of the ankle so you could tighten them to ensure they wouldn't slip? I think a ridged rubbed sole like the tread on the Nike Frees would be needed to minimise the chance of slipping however they have to be thinner and with even more ridges. I think the idea could be worth developing since I know a lot of grapplers get their toes bent, get friction burns, blisters and callouses and even in some cases have their toenails tore clean off because they don't use wrestling boots due to the heelhook trapping factor. An alternative would certainly be interesting. Maybe even just low profile like the Nike Frees but for the upper their could be an elasticated moisture wicking material that your foot into slipped into like a sock so you have equal flexibility but better grip, maybe even a bit of a shell toe to avoid the aforementioned toe problems. Possibly use popper buttons on the inside of them so you don't have trouble sliding them on, then the strap can secure around the top of the ankle to make sure the buttons don't pop open.

I reckon whoever does come out with some moisure wicking elasticated "wrestlers socks" could actually make a small killing. It's not like there is anything like them on the market currently. I might send the idea Lloyd Irvin's way or Sprawls way now they have got the money to invest in grappler related products these days. The material the Sprawl loose fit rashguard is made of would be perfect actually.

Something like this (crappy I know, but it only took 10 minutes).

Just wear wrestling shoes if it's that big a deal.

Adino said:
Just wear wrestling shoes if it's that big a deal.

It is not a big deal per se, he is just asking why no one has came up with something like this so people are able to shoot as if they were wearing wrestling boots but not have to worry about the problems they can lead to when defending footlocks.

Cheers. I could probably clean it up for an actual blueprint. I might actually bother Roy now you mention it seeing as he is UK based.

He can most likely get a proto-type made for you to try out and then tweek the design after you have rolled in them for a while.

www.SSFgear.com

Did none of you notice Hallmans "socks" in the last UFC? He and a guy named Anthony Hamlett have been developing Grips for the last 5 years. It is basically an ankle brace that covers more of the foot and has a wrestling shoe type of sole on it. I've heard they'll be available in a couple of months.

Hm. Bollocks. Ah well, I'll still see if Ron would be willing to knock some up for me, no harm in a bit of competition. I'll redraw them a bit and see what he thinks.

Back