• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Rank them: Hughes vs Usman vs Shields

1 GSP
2 Hughes
3 Usman
4 Lawler
5 Woodley/Sheilds

GOAT conversations are always difficult because of how you define it. Longevity, strength of opposition and overall performances can get lost when people just look at Wikipedia for their answer

Jake Shields finished Lawler

GSP is pretty much the best WW of all time, but who's #2?

I personnally have:
1- GSP
2- Hughes
3- Usman
4- Shields

What's your order?

GSP
Shields
Hughes
Usman
Covington
Woodley
BJPenn.com
Lawler
Hendricks
Wonderboy
Condit
Fitch
Luque
Rory
Maia
Alves
Masvidal

Id rate Jake Shields at #2 if he had retired before the Lombard fight

His win over prime MW Dan Henderson is better in my opinion than any win GSP or Hughes has
Maia

That's a ridiculous statement, for the same reason it would be ridiculous saying so about Misaki, Kondo, Franklin or Bustamante, who all have a legit case for a W over a better version of Dan than the one Shields faced.

He also has a finish over Lawler and wins outside the UFC against Condit, Okami,

His UFC run would have given him wins over Woodley and prime Maia

Funny that all the wins you named except Condit (who was 21 years old) are highly controversial decisions, especially vs Okami.

Again impressive performances but not as much as they may look on paper, just like in the Hendo case.

Shields was one of the best 170-185lbers of his time but rating his record on paper without any context leads to overrate him badly. Definitely not in GSP, Usman or Hughes league. Arguably a case for top5 all-time, certainly not #2

dylan.gif

Shields ???????
man doesnt know how to throw punch , can check a leg kick but looks as awkward throwing a punch as throwing a kick. There are TOO many ahead of Jake.
T.s must be a fan .

After you get by Gsp and Usman ( quality of division poor but not his fault or hes just that much better ..... just like gsp).
It's tough to rank Hughes ( hes obviously up there) cause he got complacent when mma curve ascended and refused to grow. His ego is legendary .

That said still tough to rank eras .

People who rank Shields top3 WW all-time overrate him and probably does so judging his record on paper rather than watching his fights.

Said that, he abolutely has a case for top10 all-time and your take on his standup ability is a parody.
After years of training wih Diaz & co the guy knew how to handle himself in the feet even if his natural striking ability was enormously limited.
What it's not an opinion is that he outpointed WWs as Akiyama or Woodley largely in the feet, he held his own there with so many other ranked fighters, a long long list, yet was rare to see him overwhelmed or panicking under the pressure of any striker.
For opinions, we have Robbie Lawler who stated Shields wasnt as clueless in the feet as his awkard looks suggested

Same but I think Usman will pass Hughes. Shields vs Hughes is an interesting fight
I feel like Shields would probably submit Hughes or it'd be a terrible striking fight.

Remember Shields out-grappled Demian Maia, he dominate Matt on the ground imo

I still have Hughes above Usman on the GOAT list, he has more defenses and actually has a win over the GOAT on his resume. Usman is above Shields though
Shields fought way better competition than Usman has. Shields fought and beat Dan Henderson, Demian Maya, Tyron Woodley, Akiyama, Robbie Lawler, Yushin Okami…
Competition level was lesser for Hughes & Shields.

That's a ridiculous statement, for the same reason it would be ridiculous saying so about Misaki, Kondo, Franklin or Bustamante, who all have a legit case for a W over a better version of Dan than the one Shields faced.

Funny that all the wins you named except Condit (who was 21 years old) are highly controversial decisions, especially vs Okami.

Again impressive performances but not as much as they may look on paper, just like in the Hendo case.

Shields was one of the best 170-185lbers of his time but rating his record on paper without any context leads to overrate him badly. Definitely not in GSP, Usman or Hughes league. Arguably a case for top5 all-time, certainly not #2

Shields beat the BEST version on Henderson...Hendo was on a 7-1 streak at the time including the KO over Bisping and Fedor

Also, Hendo beat Frankin and Bustamante twice

Shields beat the BEST version on Henderson...Hendo was on a 7-1 streak at the time including the KO over Bisping and Fedor

Also, Hendo beat Frankin and Bustamante twice

Hey man, if you really think Henderson was at his best that night at 40 years old, you are free to believe so. I dont agree.

Anyways I stand for what I said, it's a ridiculous statement and funny that u ignore Misaki and Kondo - guys same size then Shields or even smaller - and that Franklin and Bustamante have a legit case for the W over Henderson.

I guess your take ws 100% just based on paper in typical sherbro fashion, so live by the sword die by the sword

Shields fought way better competition than Usman has. Shields fought and beat Dan Henderson, Demian Maya, Tyron Woodley, Akiyama, Robbie Lawler, Yushin Okami…
Hendo and Lawler fights were at MW. Usman also beat Woodley and Maia. I’m not discrediting Shields, he’s underrated. But it’s a stretch to place him over a 4x defending champion, even if Shields fought during GSP’s reign.

Same but I think Usman will pass Hughes. Shields vs Hughes is an interesting fight
I agree about Usman, I think Hughes could take Shields though, both have excellent grappling but I think Hughes has the power and speed advantage

Hendo and Lawler fights were at MW. Usman also beat Woodley and Maia. I’m not discrediting Shields, he’s underrated. But it’s a stretch to place him over a 4x defending champion, even if Shields fought during GSP’s reign.
I’m not placing him over Usman. But he fought better competition than Usman has so far. And I don’t care if the fights were at MW, I know that and it makes the Hendo win more impressive imo.

However, idk what happened because I didn’t even mean to quote you in the first place lol. I only meant to quote the guy who said Shields had fought lesser competition which I think is way off.

I agree about Usman, I think Hughes could take Shields though, both have excellent grappling but I think Hughes has the power and speed advantage

Shields in his prime, much more experienced in the standup I think would outstrike Hughes.
I barely recall anybody consistently out grappling Shields, including bigger men, especially without having the striking advantage

Are you serious?
Shields has wins over prime Condit, Kampman Dan Henderson, woodley, yushin okami, and a pre ufc Lawler
Hughes has wins over gsp Penn serra Newton x2 sherk Trigg x2 and a 19-2 Sakurai.
Usman has masvidal x2, a close fight against Colby, Maia, woodley, RDA Edward's and burns?
Both Shields and Hughes opponents in their primes >usmans opponents
Usmans best win is Colby, and Shields and Hughes both beat him imo
In my mind, the newer guys Usman faced are more refined and multi-skilled than crude guys Hughes picked up and dumped on the ground. Shields feels like he faced big names past prime or having weight cut issues and also crude opponents from earlier days.

I'm assuming you mean in totality. You can't really compare fighters who are in their prime today vs those in their prime 10-15 years ago in terms of skill when today's fighters learned from and built their skills upon the elder fighters.

Back