Rank the UFC divisions in terms of talent level and depth

Tabarnakos

Ghoul Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Yeah i am bored and i'm curious if there is a conscensus on this. My rankings are :

1) Lightweight : I think this is by far the most competitive and deep division in the UFC and a lot of people seems to agree on this one. With guys like Bendo , Diaz , Miller , Maynard , Pettis , Edgar who can move between 145-155 and be competitive , Melendez (soon) , possibly Alvares in the future , Aldo who may move up ect i don't think there is any other division who can match up LW in terms of talent.

2) Welterweight : Yes GSP seems to be a notch above the rest but when you look at the rest of the division it's pretty deep and competitive. Fitch , Diaz , Condit , Kos , Rory , Hendricks , Ellenberger , Kampmann , Marquardt ect all those guys can be a tough fight for anyone and makes up for a great top 10 imho.

3) Light Heavyweight : A bit like at WW , the division seems to have an unbeatable champion but still has good pool of talent, Some people are calling it a weak division but i disagree. The only downside at LHW is that many of the former top guys seems to be on the downside (Shogun , Rampage , Forrest ect) and it also lack upcoming good talent but , aside from Jones destroying everyone , i still think it's an interesting division.

4) Heavyweight : I wasn't sure if i wanted to rank it before or after MW. You have JDS , Cain , Reem and Cormier (atill in SF but will obviously move to the UFC very soon) as the big four. After that it becomes a bit shallow but there is still a couple of interesting guys like Mir , Nelson ,Werdum , and Big Nog so i decided to put it #4 because that is a more interesting second tier talent pool than the one at MW imho.

5) Middleweight : I know people will disagree on this but personally i'm not sold on the talent pool in that division. You have guys like Weidman , Vitor , Okami , Belcher and Munoz but after that ? There ain't much in the division if you ask me but as i said i know not everyone will agree on this. I even saw a thread last week here about how MW was a stacked division. Suffice to say that i was in disagreement.

6) Featherweight : I like watching the division but it lacks top end talent. Edgar and Guida moving down does help but still. Sure there are exciting guys like KZ but those aren't top end talent imho. Just good fighters who happens to eventually get a shot because there is no one else in the mix or Aldo has already destroyed them.

7) Bantamweight : Cruz , Faber and Barao are pretty good talent. Then it becomes a bit shallow

8) Flyweight : Not a lot of talent but the division doesn't have many fighters to begin with that that doesn't really help.

Flame away :icon_lol:

6. FW
3. MW
4. WW
5. LW
2. LHW
7. BW
1. HW
8. FLW
9. WMMA

I'm not a good counter.

I think 170 is the deepest. So many good fighters its insane.

1)Welterweight
2)Featherweight
3)Lightweight
4)Middleweight
5)Light-Heavyweight
6)Bantamweight
7)Heavyweight
8)Flyweight

FW number 6? Its right at the top in the UFC and has the most talent and depth in MMA. Its so underrated its criminal.

No particular order.

Aldo
Edgar
Mendes
Zombie
Lamas
Piorier
Swanson
Koch
Siver
Dias
Hioki
Elkins
Max.H
Lentz
Oliveira
Bermudez
Brandao
Elkins
Guida

Interesting, so as you said a good chunk of the top 10 in LHW is well beyond their prime, and there is almost no new talent, but you still think it's a good division. Why would that be? Many former ex-champions?

Heavyweight above middleweight and fw? This isn't 2005 anymore.

How I see it...

1) Lightweight
2) Welterweight
3) Featherweight
4) Light-Heavyweight
5) Middleweight
6) Bantamweight
7) Heavyweight
8) Flyweight

lw is actually overrated these days.

i'd say it goes:

ww
fw
mw
lw
lhw
hw
bw
flw
women's division

Interesting, so as you said a good chunk of the top 10 in LHW is well beyond their prime, and there is almost no new talent, but you still think it's a good division. Why would that be? Many former ex-champions?

Same can be said about HW, their fighters are older then the LHW fighters outside of Cain and JDS.

LHW has new talent in Gustafson, Davis and Jones, Texiera and Manuwa.

Carwin is about 37
Cormier is 35
Nelson is 36
Werdum is about 35

One can say that about a lot of divisions.

Welterweight
Lightweight
Featherweight
Light heavy weight
Heavyweight
Middleweight
Bw
Fly

Womens mma

1. LW
2. FW
3. WW
4. LHW
5. MW
6. HW
7. BW
8. FLW

And all very arguable except for #8. IMO.

lol @ people ranking flyweight low because they dont know who the fighters are.

MM, Benavidez, McCall, Dodson, Elliot, Uyenoyama, Lineker, Morago, Gomez, etc

that division is fucking stacked.

lw is actually overrated these days.

i'd say it goes:

ww
fw
mw
lw
lhw
hw
bw
flw
women's division

Featherweight at number 2 is a joke. Aldo is the king of a notoriously weak division.

lol @ people ranking flyweight low because they dont know who the fighters are.

MM, Benavidez, McCall, Dodson, Elliot, Uyenoyama, Lineker, Morago, Gomez, etc

that division is fucking stacked.

You just named every fighter in that division...

Lol at you.

Same can be said about HW, their fighters are older then the LHW fighters outside of Cain and JDS.

LHW has new talent in Gustafson, Davis and Jones, Texiera and Manuwa.

Carwin is about 37
Cormier is 35
Nelson is 36
Werdum is about 35

One can say that about a lot of divisions.

Well age is very different than fighting age.

Since Cormier started so late in MMA he is still much less worn out than a guy like Shogun, even though he is older.

Cormier did not even reach his prime. Werdum is exactly at his prime right now.
In fact, all the top 5 in HW is at it's prime right now or didn't reach it yet: JDS, Cain, Reem, Cormier and Werdum.

Back