Rank the UFC divisions in terms of talent level and depth

1. LW - Best in terms of all around talent and depth by a bit. There are some arguments, but being top 15 at LW means as much as being top 10 in any other division imo

2. WW - Second best, incredible champ with a diverse and solid top ten that falls into second tier, as well as a decent crop of up and coming fighters that continue to flush out their ranks as the older guys get older.

3.MW - Tied with LHW, though arguably a bit stronger. Great champ, and especially with hte inclusion of SF talent it has an insane crop of talent at the very top but fizzles as it goes down. Would be at the level of WW if not for it's thin 10-20, and the fact that many top fighters seem to be very flawed.

3. LHW - Similar to MW, arguably a bit stronger so I tied them. Great champ, good top five but after that it fizzles. Lacks great up and comers like MW with the exception of a couple. Not very deep, some older talent. Probably the most overrated division because ot the amount of stars it's had historically but it's nowhere as deep as it was in the UFC vs Pride Days

4. HW - Historically the weakest division, but with the inclusion of SF talent it has one of the strongest top tens in the sport. Difficult division to string wins together in with the exception of JDS, Cain and maybe Overeem however the drop off after the top 8 or 10 guys is incredibly steep. Being a top 15 HW means next to nothing

4.FW - Very close behind HW, should soon overtake it imo. It's got a solid top ten and a lot of upside throughout it's ranks but aside from the champ a few others very few fighters stick out as 'special' - Barely behind HW, could be stronger but who knows

5. BW - See FW, but could arguably be stronger because of fighters like Barao and McDonald.

6. FLW - Not enough talent to assess. If it had more I'd rank it higher. Very strong top ten, but that's the only thing that's there
Womens - See above.

Ranking divisions is kind of silly
In my opinion only LW and WW stick out because of the amount of really good prospects and depth, but everything below that is pretty much splitting hairs

Last edited:
1)Welterweight
2)Lightweight
3)Middleweight
4)Light-Heavyweight
5)Bantamweight
6)Heavyweight
7)Featherweight
8)Flyweight

I have no idea why you have FW so low or think KZ isnt a top talent. HW should be near the bottom.

[QUOTE="Rush";77685459]FW number 6? Its right at the top in the UFC and has the most talent and depth in MMA. Its so underrated its criminal.

No particular order.

Aldo
Edgar
Mendes
Zombie
Lamas
Piorier
Swanson
Koch
Siver
Dias
Hioki
Elkins
Max.H
Lentz
Oliveira
Bermudez
Brandao
Elkins
Guida[/QUOTE]

Plus you didn't mention former WEC champ Brown. Or Nunes, who gave multiple time LW title contender K-flo all he could handle.

Also former LW title challenger Joe Stevenson, Tyson Griffin and current UFC LW Ross Pearson already failed out of the division. Cole Miller cant seem to get a win in the UFC in that division either. Yuri Alcanatara is a really talented fighter. He KTFO Lamas but after he lost to Dias he just dropped down to 135. Also in his UFC career Mark Hominick only had some success at LW.

I can't believe people rank HW any other place then last.

I have no idea why you have FW so low or think KZ isnt a top talent. HW should be near the bottom.

Plus you didn't mention former champ Brown. Or Nunes, who gave multiple time LW title contender K-flo all he could handle.

Former LW title challenger Joe Stevenson, Tyson Griffin and current UFC LW Ross Pearson already failed out of the division too. Cole Miller cant seem to get a win in the UFC in that division either. Yuri KTFO Lamas but after he lost to Dias he dropped down to 135. Also in his UFC career Mark Hominick only had some success at LW.

Nunes was completely outclassed by Kenflo, not sure which fight you saw.

Lol at 'former LW title challenger Joe Stevenson'. Technically yes but you and I both know he had one of the biggest falls in all of MMA, long before he dropped to 145. He failed at 155, then failed at 145, and then was out of the UFC. Ditto with Tyson Griffin.

Hominick is another one I'm not sure why you're mentioning. He's a 'former FW title challenger' despite having never risen above a slump in the UFC. He did serve Aldo a 10-8 though...

Admittedly Featherweight is beginning to pick up but so far it's UFC iteration has been incredibly weak.

1. Lw
2. Fw
3. Ww
4. Lhw
5. Hw
6. Bw
7. Mw
8. Flw

Well age is very different than fighting age.

Since Cormier started so late in MMA he is still much less worn out than a guy like Shogun, even though he is older.

Cormier did not even reach his prime. Werdum is exactly at his prime right now.
In fact, all the top 5 in HW is at it's prime right now or didn't reach it yet: JDS, Cain, Reem, Cormier and Werdum.

I agree about the wear and tear of shogun but Cormier is a bit too old to have not reached his prime at 35. I dont think cormier will have a prime if he is not in it all.

You have JDS, Cain, Reem and Werdum. Cormier is not in the UFC yet so he is up in the air.

I get what you are saying but its hard for me to think that at 35, these guys are at their physical prime which I dont think they are. They maybe at an older and more seasoned prime but I dont think they are at their true physical prime.

Lets look at LHW

Machida(33)
Rashad (32)
Jones (25)
Gustafson is (26)
Davis is (28)
Texiera is (33)

With the LHW division you can see some great fighters who are at least within that range and a few coming into their prime. At 35 its a toss up to me but I guess it is to interpretation.

Last edited:
I can't believe people rank HW any other place then last.

JDS
Cain
Mir
Overeem
Bigfoot
Cormier
Big Nog
Barnett
Nelson
Werdum
Hunt

That's not a bad stable of fighters right there

JDS
Cain
Mir
Overeem
Bigfoot
Cormier
Big Nog
Barnett
Nelson
Werdum
Hunt

Cormier is not in the UFC yet and Barnett is not in the UFC.

Until those two are in the UFC, HW should be much lower outside of MW which is getting a bit better.

Mir ???, Big Nog ????, I will give you Hunt but that is a uneventful list.

Last edited:
JDS
Cain
Mir
Overeem
Bigfoot
Cormier
Big Nog
Barnett
Nelson
Werdum
Hunt

Mir????? The last time Mir impressed me was before he drove his motorcycle. Mir is ridiculously overrated.

Bigfoot? Not impressed!

Overeem? Yes, he's an interesting contender. I agree

Cormier? Yes, I have actually high hopes for him. I agree. A HW with a well rounded skillset + cardio. I'm impressed. (Same with Cain)

Big Nog? GTFO. I used to be a fan back in the Pride days. He's probably the most overrated fighter right now. Moves slow like frankenstein, chin's not solid anymore, absolutely not worthy of an opponent ..... I like him though.

Barnett? Unfortunately not in the UFC

Nelson? This is the best example. I know that he's great BJJ, but he's like the little kid rumbling in a weak division, so that it makes him look solid. I think if HW was a deep division he'd be nowhere near the top.

Hunt? Man I like Hunt. Great striker, but haven't impressed me yet as a MMA fighter. (Don't bring up fights from the past, i.e. Fedor ... I've seen'em all)

HW is still weak!!

1. Lw
2. Ww
3. Fw
4. Lhw
5. Bw
6. Hw
7. Mw
8. Flw

Welterweight
Lightweight
Light Heavyweight
Bantamweight
Featherweight
Middleweight
Heavyweight
Flyweight

Lightweight
Welterweight
Middleweight
Featherweight
Light Heavyweight
Heavyweight
Bantamweight
Flyweight

1. LW
2. WW
3. MW
4. LHW
5. FW
6. HW
7. 8th Graders
8. 6th Graders

1. Lw
2. Ww
3. Mw
4. Lhw
5. Hw
6. Fw
7. Bw
8. Flw

LHW is the most overrated division in MMA history next to HW.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back