Rank the traditional martial arts.

$uperman

Black Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Rank the traditional martial arts for effectiveness.

My ranking:

1. Judo ( Fedor Emelianenko, Ronda Rousey )
  2. Karate ( Lyoto Machida, Gunnar Nelson )
  3. Japanese Jiu Jitsu ( bad version of MMA )
  4. kyokushin karate ( bad version of Kickboxing )
  5. Taekwondo ( bad version of Karate )

1) BJJ
2) Boxing
3) Wrestling
4) Muay Thai

The last 3 have all been around for hundreds of years, so I'd say that's pretty traditional.

My ranking:

karate - GSP
TKD - pettis

The style doesn't make the fighter, the fighter makes the style.

1) BJJ
2) Boxing
3) Wrestling
4) Muay Thai

The last 3 have all been around for hundreds of years, so I'd say that's pretty traditional.

Yeah you are right. I make a new list.

1. Wrestling ( most UFC champions are wrestlers )
  2. Judo ( Fedor Emelianenko, Ronda Rousey )
  3. Sambo ( wrestling + Judo )
  4. Muay Thai ( effective and complete striking art )
  5. Boxing ( very effective striking art )
  6. Karate ( Lyoto Machida, Gunnar Nelson )
  7. BJJ ( best ground fighting style )
  8. Japanese Jiu Jitsu ( bad version of MMA )
  9. kyokushin karate ( bad version of Kickboxing )
  10. Taekwondo ( bad version of Karate )

1) BJJ
2) Boxing
3) Wrestling
4) Muay Thai

Agreed.

I also feel as though BJJ goes quite well with any martial art that is also performed in a gi (obviously judo, but also Karate and/or Taekwondo, etc).
Captain_Dammitt said:
Yessssssssssss

This-Thread-Sucks-Zoidberg.jpg

My ranking:

Judo is a modern martial art (gendai budo), not a TMA.

1. Sambo (Excellent wrestling + Judo + very good boxing/kickboxing + submissions -- most effective and rounded martial art, imo)
2. Wrestling (like sambo, minus the striking and subs and judo, still very effective)
3. Boxing (most practical striking art [highest simplicity to effectiveness ratio], imo, TIED with muay thai in overall effectiveness, depending on the individual who learns it either can be more useful than the other)
4. Muay Thai (see above explanation)
5. Judo (judo is absolutely great when paired with something but judo guys tend to get roughed up in standup fights (win or lose) unless they know something else, whereas wrestlers can nullify standup much better from what I've seen)
6. BJJ - I used to think this would be top 1 or 2 but now from the data I've collected BJJ practitioners get the crap beat out of them in altercations (real and sparring) unless they are seriously large, strong or know another striking art to pair it with. In standing sparring classes, the BJJ guys who come over are generally the worst instinctively. Even ammy fighters tend to instinctively lean to fall to their back (guard) when they get only jabbed (during slip drills). I wish I was joking but I think BJJ has gone from being about fighting to being more concentrated on winning tournament points, I really wish them the best and would hope they go back to a more practical (for fighting/selfdefense/MMA) set of rules and strategies.

Judo is a modern martial art (gendai budo), not a TMA.

I agree with you but aren't most styles of Karate just as young?

Troll threads like this almost make me miss payak and karatestylist

at least they tried

My new martial arts and mixed martial arts ranking.

1. MMA ( best fighting art ever )
  2. Wrestling ( most UFC champions are wrestlers )
  3. Judo ( Fedor Emelianenko, Ronda Rousey )
  4. Sambo ( wrestling + Judo )
  5. Muay Thai ( effective and complete striking art )
  6. Boxing ( very effective striking art )
  7. Dutch Kickboxing ( effective and complete striking art )
  8. Karate ( Lyoto Machida, Gunnar Nelson )
  9. BJJ ( best ground fighting style )
  10. Japanese Jiu Jitsu ( bad version of MMA )
All those styles except Japanese Jiu Jitsu is used in MMA. Will Japanese Jiu Jitsu be used in the future of MMA? Their combination of Karate striking/Judo grappling/ standing submissions is cool and probably effective.

NO, it's not just the fighter.

It's the fighter, the styles and the coaching. All 3 are instrumental. GSP trains BJJ, Wrestling and mainstream MMA, so that includes MT also. Force him to train only Karate and he's fucked. Same goes for Machida, who's also a BJJ black belt. Imagine if Petis only training TKD and nothing else. It'll be UFC 01 all over again.

What about Tai Chi? Would GSP be successful in MMA if he trains only TC? Styles do matter.

Love this no definition of or context for effectiveness,no empirical evidence to back up any ranking so here goes nothing .

1.Whatever art the Power Rangers use those guys never get beat .
2.Tai Chi all those Chinamen can't be wrong .
3.Body combat It really burns those calories .
4.WWE no fancy dan technique beats a trash can against the skull .
5.Ninjitsu because you can't fight what you can not see .

All those styles except Japanese Jiu Jitsu is used in MMA. Will Japanese Jiu Jitsu be used in the future of MMA? Their combination of Karate striking/Judo grappling/ standing submissions is cool and probably effective.

Traditional Jujutsu is where Judo and BJJ came from. TJJ have ground fighting, just that BJJ is more complex and is mostly about the ground fighting aspect of TJJ. Judo has newaza also. Judo was first called Kano's Jiu-Jitsu as Kano was a master instructor of TJJ and TJJ dojo owner. Kano didn't create something completely new, he merely removed all of the nut grabbing, eye poking aspects, etc. of TJJ and made it sporty for competition.

Is making a fucking stupid thread a banable offence?
If not, it should be.

TS I doubt your limitless from this thread - or you really need some.

TS has been here since 2002 - I'm just thinking did he wait all those years to make a troll thread....lol

On a serious note; where's your criteria or evidence to back up your ranking's, so at least I can see if there is method behind the madness.

TS I doubt your limitless from this thread - or you really need some.

I try to become more intelligent and that movie is an inspiration for me.

But instead of a pill, I use math/books/courses/lumosity/healty lifestyle to become smarter

TS has been here since 2002 - I'm just thinking did he wait all those years to make a troll thread....lol

It is a bad thread in my opinion, because I didn't thinked it trough. Last midnight I was tired and tinking which " TMA " I should do. I want to do a " TMA " that is healty, fun and effective. So then I made this thread with a ranking of effective " TMA's " .

I was also thinking about which " TMA's " are healty, fun and effective.

Karate seems to be healty and effective, but those Kata's don't seem like fun.

Judo seems to be fun and effective, but those injuries seem unhealty.

Japanese Jiu Jitsu seems to be fun and healty, but I don't know how effective it is.

On a serious note; where's your criteria or evidence to back up your ranking's, so at least I can see if there is method behind the madness.

MMA is in my opinion the closest sport to a real fight. So in my opinion people can see in MMA which martial arts are the most effective.

MMA takes the best of other martial arts, so it is the most effective martial art.

Most UFC champions are wrestlers, so wrestling is very effective.

The best male MMA fighter ever Fedor and the best female MMA fighter ever is Ronda Rousey. Both have a Judo base.

Sambo is also effective, because it's wrestling + Judo.

Alot of MMA fighters use a Muay Thai/kickboxing style striking. So that's also effective.

Boxing is also populair with MMA fighters. So that's also effective.

Lyoto Machida, Gunnar Nelson, Kyoji Horiguchi, Stephen Thompson show the potential of Karate striking in MMA. So it has the potential to be an effective striking art. I think Kyokushinkai Karate is less effective, because it's close range striking and Kickboxing/Muay Thai/Boxing is more effective at that range. The other Karate styles use very long range.

Almost every MMA fighter trains BJJ, so that is also effective.

Japanese Jiu Jitsu is a combination of Karate/Judo/standing submissions, maybe it is also effective.

How can you be here since 2002 and just start thinking about this NOW?

Back