Randy jo's new movie Expend4bles named worst of the year

All of these movies were absolute shit. Tried to strike the nostalgia chords with all our late 80’s and 90’s action stars, yet only had piss poor scripts and CGI fests to offer.

Quite cringe-worthy that they got to a fourth opus. I’ll skip this pile of dogshit and watch Total Recall and then Predator instead.

The terrible casting didn't help I'm sure.

All of these movies were absolute shit. Tried to strike the nostalgia chords with all our late 80’s and 90’s action stars, yet only had piss poor scripts and CGI fests to offer.

Quite cringe-worthy that they got to a fourth opus. I’ll skip this pile of dogshit and watch Total Recall and then Predator instead.
Yeah bunch of slack jawed British cigarettes

I had a real problem with Expendables #2. I refuse to watch anymore
Can't believe they did Van Damme like that! <Ellaria01>

All three were weak movies with maybe one redeeming quality. The first being Mickey Rourke and to some degree Eric Roberts. The second, Van Damme. The third, Mel Gibson. As it turned out none of these people were actually in more than the one movie they partly redeemed.

I agree and he either got snubbed by Stallone being jealous or his body was too broken down to do a lot for it. I saw no signs of a stunt double but hoped for more scenes.

His acting was the best in the movie as well. Again...by a good margin. Van Damme actually learned to act quite well around age 50. Stuff like Universal Soldier: Regeneration is a junk movie...but the reason to watch it, believe it or not, is the acting by Van Damme and Dolph Lundgren. They actually run circles around the "working actors" who are in the other supporting roles. Actors with long careers who have made those careers on their acting and not their looks or physiques.

Van Damme has some great deliveries of middling dialogue in Expendables 2. Over so soon? I want my money's worth!

Did they at least give Iko some cool fight scenes?

Whats crazy is the massive injuries sustained making these movies.

On another note, back to back van damme jump spinning split kicks was too good.

Spitting on van damme after the fight rubbed me the wrong way though. My bet is van damme had no clue they were gonna put that in and would have never agreed to it.

Last edited:

It's funny to me how Cobra Kai (season 1 only) managed to hit all those marks with a much lower budget, bad writing, and a good soundtrack.

It's funny to me how Cobra Kai (season 1 only) managed to hit all those marks with a much lower budget, bad writing, and a good soundtrack.

The writing in Cobra Kai wasn't so bad. It had the slight advantage of characters you knew but it did have to take advantage of that with the writing. Stuff like The Last Jedi managed to take that advantage and stick it in its own bum.

Cobra Kai has character development. That's why the nostalgia works.

The Expendables...not a lot of effort put into that.

The writing in Cobra Kai wasn't so bad. It had the slight advantage of characters you knew but it did have to take advantage of that with the writing. Stuff like The Last Jedi managed to take that advantage and stick it in its own bum.

Cobra Kai has character development. That's why the nostalgia works.

The Expendables...not a lot of effort put into that.

What suckered me into Cobra Kai the most was soundtrack and set locations. I've lived in the valley so they nailed my nostalgia with hair metal AND locations. I saw the old movies back in the day and never cared much about them. But holy shit did they nail the nostalgia.

You're right though, you do need passable writing and solid direction of solid actors to pull that off.

What suckered me into Cobra Kai the most was soundtrack and set locations. I've lived in the valley so they nailed my nostalgia with hair metal AND locations. I saw the old movies back in the day and never cared much about them. But holy shit did they nail the nostalgia.

You're right though, you do need passable writing and solid direction of solid actors to pull that off.

I really like the first three movies. First is a legit very good movie and the other two are all right movies that somehow add more than they are worth to the lore of the whole thing.

Soundtrack of Cobra Kai is good but it is largely in tune with or inspired by the original movies. The soccer scene in Cobra Kai has the Moody Blues song from Karate Kid 2. One of the seasons ends with an acoustic Cruel Summer which was in Karate Kid 1.

The Cobra Kai writers really take advantage of every asset they had from the old movies. Making an actual character out of the bodybag guy. Going into Kreese's time in the war. I wish other franchises would show that kind of respect for what they are built upon.

I didn't watch the third and barely remember the first 2. I just remember in the second one there was tons of them just doing their old tag lines and basically winking into the camera. It was way too corny.

Back