Random Ravings: Epic Rolls

J Storm**

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Don't you love them?

The other day I was rolling with this new kid. I dunno how much experience he had, but according to my teacher he had "some and knew a little bit."

Anyway, this kid was like a Russian ox. He felt sooo heavy and I could not for the life of me move him. Was stuck in half-guard for much of the match, couldn't work my underhook under his arm and kept getting smashed down. I was able to keep the half-guard and eventually work my way back to full guard.

I was amazed at how much trouble I was having just moving him. I face bigger and more experienced guys at my gym and have 1/2 as much trouble getting them off balance.

I went for an omaplata and had it locked in, but couldn't establish my base correctly, and couldn't move the ox. Eventually I wound up on bottom in side-mount, and it sucked. Couldn't breathe, couldn't buck him off, and my teacher was watching. It was one of those positions where you feel like tapping b/c it feels so f'ing uncomfortable that it's painful. I thought to myself, wow, I'm about to get smoked by this relative noobie in front of my instructor.

I worked a butterfly hook back in and and got full guard. His posture was broken and one of his hands was close to my knee so I popped up and locked in a triangle. I have short legs and don't often get a fully locked in triangle and was surprised how deep i got it in. But guess what? Russian ox don't tap easy. I squeezed so hard yet he would not tap. Had my legs deeply triangled and nothing. Finally I pulled his head down as hard as I could and after 5 painful (my own pain) seconds, he finally tapped.

I feel like I should have been able to beat him faster, but am certainly glad to have won at all.

I love epic, long-fought rolls, where there are points when you think you are fucked, and somehow find a way to get out of it. Hoping to experience this in competition too.

Oh okay, yea I don't really make a big deal out of my rolls during training. Hehe, maybe you need to compete more.

I enjoy tough rolls it builds character and prepares you for competition. there is alot to be said for working technique but getting a really competitive tough roll is always good

When you're training for competition is the only time to think about "winning" and "losing" your rolls. Your training partners are on your team. It shouldnt be about winning and losing in your daily training.

That being said, I understand the feeling can come up with a new guy thats visiting but has some experience.

Yeah, epic back and forth rolls where you come out the victor at the very end are so awesome. These are somewhat rare though because it's usually either I dominate or I get dominated. Sometimes there's very little ground. Some guys have figured out my game and know what acts like kryptonite to me, so I have to mix things up and try to be unpredictable when facing these guys. Especially against these guys, a hard fought roll where I get the tap in the end is incredibly rewarding. It's these kind of rolls that make me love jiu jitsu and really motivate me.

Yeah, epic back and forth rolls where you come out the victor at the very end are so awesome. These are somewhat rare though because it's usually either I dominate or I get dominated. Sometimes there's very little ground. Some guys have figured out my game and know what acts like kryptonite to me, so I have to mix things up and try to be unpredictable when facing these guys. Especially against these guys, a hard fought roll where I get the tap in the end is incredibly rewarding. It's these kind of rolls that make me love jiu jitsu and really motivate me.

Yeah dude i know that feeling. Being on the brink of getting passed and shooting out a random triangle for that win is such a great feeling. Of course this only happens on guys my size and exp. but its still great!

When you're training for competition is the only time to think about "winning" and "losing" your rolls. Your training partners are on your team. It shouldnt be about winning and losing in your daily training.

That being said, I understand the feeling can come up with a new guy thats visiting but has some experience.

oh i almost never think of winning and losing in practice. there are guys i sub all the time and there are guys who sub me all the time. this match def felt different b/c i'd never rolled w/ him before.

oh i almost never think of winning and losing in practice. there are guys i sub all the time and there are guys who sub me all the time. this match def felt different b/c i'd never rolled w/ him before.

Yeah thats what I figured and I know what you mean - especially when the instructor is watching.

Back