Random Encounter: Mark Kerr vs Brock Lesnar

Dan Bonish was an NCJAA All-American in wrestling.

I know. That's why I specified real wrestlers and cited Fujita. Bobish was big and he wrestled in junior college, but he never wrestled at a higher level than Division III. Fujita was one point away from representing Japan in the Olympics and he was both an accomplished freestyle wrestler and a national champion Greco-Roman wrestler. Kerr could handle Bobish, but he couldn't handle Fujita, and I don't know that he would've been able to handle Brock.

Dan Bonish was an NCJAA All-American in wrestling.

That was prime Kerr I think. Fast, too. Brock was so big and strong, but that would’ve been tough to deal with. Thanks for posting that.

Background:

Both fighters in their primes. Fighting in a cage. No drug testing. 3 months prep time. One 10 minute round followed by two 5 minute rounds.

Who takes it? Level of difficulty and how?

My take: Brock tires towards end of Rd 1 and Kerr makes him tap to strikes. Medium difficulty, Kerr
Kerr by knees to the head or head butts to his knees. Either way, Kerr would win.

il_fullxfull.3200159552_rns0.jpg

Lol @ saying that Kerr would out gas tank Brock

I know. That's why I specified real wrestlers and cited Fujita. Bobish was big and he wrestled in junior college, but he never wrestled at a higher level than Division III. Fujita was one point away from representing Japan in the Olympics and he was both an accomplished freestyle wrestler and a national champion Greco-Roman wrestler. Kerr could handle Bobish, but he couldn't handle Fujita, and I don't know that he would've been able to handle Brock.
But that same reasoning would discount Bones, wouldn't it? People go to jc for numerous reasons, mostly grades.

And Kerr's personal issues were affecting him in the Fujita fight, who knows what it would have been like if he wasn't engaged to a psycho. The Smashing Machine makes that pretty clear, at least if you take the doc at face value.

But that same reasoning would discount Bones, wouldn't it?

Yes, it would. Jones dropped out of college. That wrestling route wasn't his route to MMA greatness. Much like GSP, his greatness is anomalous. He's just a phenomenally freaky fighting talent. But he doesn't have the wrestling pedigree that a lot of MMA fighters have. That's irrelevant in MMA, but if we're going beyond the best MMA wrestlers and talking about the best wrestlers in MMA, then we're talking about NCAA champs and Olympians, not junior college wrestlers.

And Kerr's personal issues were affecting him in the Fujita fight.

<Fedor23>

He still got worked over by the only high caliber wrestler he fought, which is all we have to go on. And much respect to Fujita and his wrestling ability, but physically, when we're talking size, strength, and speed, Brock is a TOTALLY different animal.

Back