Ramping sets question

DevilMMA

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Im currently doing my sets ramped as opposed to straight across.

I work out the increments using my max weight and taking off 15 % and using that as the increment.

Eg - a 5 x 5 would look like

40/55/70/85/100

Is this about right or should I be using a different percentile to calculate increments?

I have been doing this the last couple of weeks and I like it a lot better than 3x5 or 5x5 at the same weight for each set. My final set is heavier and I feel like I did more work. I don't even look at percents, I just make my starting weight 5-10lbs heavier than last workout, and add 10 lbs every set. Im not an expert by any means and dont know if this is the best way to train, just that I like doing it more than the other way and am able to make gains.

Last edited:
DevilMMA, you are doing it correctly. Once you've been doing it a while you can adjust the percentage a bit if you find it too easy e.g. calculate it using 12.5% or 10% so you are using more weight for the earlier sets.

DevilMMA, you are doing it correctly. Once you've been doing it a while you can adjust the percentage a bit if you find it too easy e.g. calculate it using 12.5% or 10% so you are using more weight for the earlier sets.

Cheers. I think I will go to 12.5% in a couple of months.

Back