Ramon Dekkers Man Or Myth?

I’ve been once yes. There’s a Sanda tournament in the UK next June, planning on going again in the run up to that provided I can finance it.

As far as the McGregor/Dekkers comparison, I thought it was an abstract argument. I definitely think it would be more noble for Dekkers to achieve notoriety by putting on exciting fights rather than drumming up interest with trash talk and TMZ tactics.

One thing is for sure though - the myth that Dekkers introduced boxing to Thailand is widespread and something that makes absolutely no sense.
Sanda tourney. Where is that?
Would love to watch if it's within realistic travel.
Ive only fought K1 amd Thai but love watching Sanda. Just gets sailed down the river most places though, just like we love to water down Judo and Karate.

Sanda tourney. Where is that?
Would love to watch if it's within realistic travel.
Ive only fought K1 amd Thai but love watching Sanda. Just gets sailed down the river most places though, just like we love to water down Judo and Karate.

Location to be confirmed, are you from the UK?

I think lotta guys here miss an important component when talking about Ramon.

Many praise Dutch kickboxing, but dont realize Ramon was a pioneer . Lots of fighters and trainers were inspired by him and copied his style .

The fact he became champion in Lumpini did make him a absolute legend who inspired thousands and thousands of fighters.

I remember watching VHS tapes with his fights...great times!! Goat no but legendary no doubt about it!!

Last edited:
The fact he became champion in Lumpini did make him a absolute legend who inspired thousands and thousands of fighters.

Dekkers was never a Lumpinee champion. The first farang to get the belt was Mourad Sari in 1999, two years before Dekkers had his farewell fight.

Dekkers was never a Lumpinee champion. The first farang to get the belt was Mourad Sari in 1999, two years before Dekkers had his farewell fight.
Yes you are right thanks for correction.

My brains just made up the memory like that I geuss..he did fought Lumpini champions , and was a respected name back then. Legend

Yes you are right thanks for correction.

My brains just made up the memory like that I geuss..he did fought Lumpini champions , and was a respected name back then. Legend

Oh yeah, his fights with Coban are really fun to watch. I admit I can be a critic of Dekkers sometimes, but the guy is a legend through and through

I think Dekkers is the greatest Muay Thai fighter of all time.

Last edited:
Saying he is the GOAT non-Thai may be a worthy position, this isn't though.

Dekkers is not even the GOAT farang nor is he close to it.

That would be Danny Bill and it's not even close

Probably, and there's so many other names you could add who would all be above Ramon Dekkers for GOAT farang contention; Dida Diafat, Rafi Bohic, Youssef Boughanem, Fabio Pinca, Jean-Charles Skarbowsky, John Wayne Parr, Jimmy Vienot, and the list goes on.

Dunno, but it's kind of scary that a pretty small guy in his early 40s who works out all the time and presumably eats well and takes care of himself can randomly drop dead of a heart attack.

Dunno, but it's kind of scary that a pretty small guy in his early 40s who works out all the time and presumably eats well and takes care of himself can randomly drop dead of a heart attack.

Agreed.

Part of me kind of thinks that if I woke up for a hundred days with the prospect of shins and elbows flying at me from the likes of Sakmongkol, Coban et. al then I'd be likely to have a heart attack as well.

They say stress is one of the biggest killer's

https://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/guide/stress-heart-disease-risk

Who really knows though, maybe he had some kind of genetic predisposition, if it wasn't for the stress angle I'd have thought he'd be the least likely guy to have a heart attack.

He put a lot of strain on his heart though all those years training and fighting and had some serious problems on his legs (lots of inflammation) which can also reduce longevity. Add to that the fact that most athletes take illegal "supplements", so if he had already a heart condition to start with it's not a good mix.

I don't think he is either, but it's at least an arguable possition. I disagree that he isn't close to it.

How would he be close to it?

He never won a title in Thailand, went 13-21 vs Thai fighters, and 3-8 in Lumpinee. There are plenty of farangs who did much better than that.

How would he be close to it?

He never won a title in Thailand, went 13-21 vs Thai fighters, and 3-8 in Lumpinee. There are plenty of farangs who did much better than that.
You think Morad Sari is better because he won a title? There have been plenty of paper belts given out in the stadiums, even to this day. Danny Bill never won a title either. You also have to take into account who he fought. Ramon fought in the strongest era. Again, I'm not even arguing that he's the best but an argument can be made and he's certainly close. Their are plenty of Thais from that era in the sport that argue that he is.

Last edited:
Thread title doesn't make sense.

A lot of people considering him a legend - the GOAT I'd say no.

Back