Ramon Dekkers Man Or Myth?

SandaKicker

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Fan Film by me, video here;

Cliffs;

1) The judges rendered the correct decision in most Dekkers fights.

2) Dekkers was proficient in the use of all 8 limbs.

3) Dekkers had serious power comparable to elite level pro boxers.

4) Dekkers did not introduce boxing to Thailand, Khaosai Galaxy and Samart Payakaroon had won world titles in boxing a few years before Dekkers arrived in Thailand. Thailand has a tradition in international boxing going back further than that.

5) Dekkers did not introduce some of the subtleties of boxing technique to the Muay Thai ring, Samart Payakaroon returned to Muay thai in 1987, three years before Dekkers ever fought in Thailand and he was significantly better at using some of the subtleties of boxing technique that are considered less suited to the Muay Thai ring such as head movement and lateral movement.

6) Whilst the principles of slugfests, body mechanics and power punching would have been no secret in Thailand (much like principles of spelling and grammar are no secret at Harvard), I'd speculate that this myth arises from other fighters trying to emulate Dekkers and the notoriety he received. In a similar way to the way that Conor Mcgregor didn't invent trash talking but there is generally considered to be an upswing in trash talkers trying to emulate him in MMA.

7) Dekkers did not win a major stadium title but he was damn close and right in contention. He beat Coban (multiple time Lumpinee stadium champion), Namphon (multiple time Lumpinee stadium champion), he was in a close fight with Sakmongkol (multiple time stadium champion) who the man himself would cite as the toughest fight of his career outside of the Jongsanan fights.

8) Dekkers is right in contention for the title of greatest foreign Muay Thai fighter of all time.

Flame away.

It's Danny Bill by a country mile. Not even close. Dekkers brought war and Grit to Thailand, Bill brought real skill and often out skilled the best of Thailand. Dekkers rarely if ever succeeded at that.

I consider Ramons biggest win to be Sangtiennoi. A fight he didn't actually "win". Sangtien got robbed hard and everyone knew it

[/QUOTE]

8) Dekkers is right in contention for the title of greatest foreign Muay Thai fighter of all time.

Flame away.[/QUOTE]

It's Danny Bill by a country mile. Not even close. Dekkers brought war and Grit to Thailand, Bill brought real skill and often out skilled the best of Thailand. Dekkers rarely if ever succeeded at that.

I consider Ramons biggest win to be Sangtiennoi. A fight he didn't actually "win". Sangtien got robbed hard and everyone knew it

Flame away.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]
Danny bill was nearly always the bigger man in his fights against thais and was notorious for missing weight. Generally he would be fighting a thai who was already fighting above his natural or best weight class. Then he would come in over that weight. Danny bill was incredibly skilled. But his teeps, sweeps everything is more effective when you outweigh somebody by 10 to 15 pounds. He was more skilled than dekkers but you have to take this into account.

I have to agree with Mtlguy. It's Danny Bill by far, not Dekkers.

I am a really big fan of Ramon Dekkers, but it's really bad that Dekkers and Cor Hemmers always lied about Dekkers fight record.

Btw didnt thais change mt rules by lowering importance of punches in mt because of dekkers?

Btw didnt thais change mt rules by lowering importance of punches in mt because of dekkers?
Absolutely not you were lied to...

@SandaKicker I still need to watch the vid but on cliffs alone you hit it on point in a fair and balanced manner...

Ever been to thailand?
Ask them how they feel about Dekkers!
Together with Hyppolyte the most talked and praised Dutch fighter.

Comparing him with mcballoonfoots trashtalk...
putn.gif

Ever been to thailand?
Ask them how they feel about Dekkers!
Together with Hyppolyte the most talked and praised Dutch fighter.

Comparing him with mcballoonfoots trashtalk...
View attachment 660941

I’ve been once yes. There’s a Sanda tournament in the UK next June, planning on going again in the run up to that provided I can finance it.

As far as the McGregor/Dekkers comparison, I thought it was an abstract argument. I definitely think it would be more noble for Dekkers to achieve notoriety by putting on exciting fights rather than drumming up interest with trash talk and TMZ tactics.

One thing is for sure though - the myth that Dekkers introduced boxing to Thailand is widespread and something that makes absolutely no sense.

I met quite some people from Thailand and none seemed to be interested in Muaythai let alone ever heard of Dekkers.

I think the popularity of Muaythai has really declined in Thailand.

I met quite some people from Thailand and none seemed to be interested in Muaythai let alone ever heard of Dekkers.

I think the popularity of Muaythai has really declined in Thailand.

I'm currently staying in Bangkok and on the way from Suvarnabhumi to the hotel I was originally staying at (30 minute drive), I passed by 10 or so gyms and all of them looked busy with many people training. That being said, many Thais I have talked to from Bangkok or otherwise more wealthy or westernized areas have little interest in training or having their kid be a fighter one day. Most Thais I have met from Isaan and Northern Thailand love it (they are also often trainers or former fighters). That's just my experience though, so take it as you will. I am here for training after all haha

A note I would add is that the best Thais are often not the beltholder. Yothin has been picking up world class wins for years and has never had a stadium title shot. Belts are promotional tools first and foremost. Also does anyone have the weights for Dekkers' fights? His fights in Europe would have had all standard weights but I wonder if his stadium fights ever had him getting a pound advantage.

I lol'd at the last line in the video, "No doubt Dekkers has better striking than anyone in mma"
<45>

Pretty good video.

I think it would make more sense to evaluate fights by who is ahead on points at each point throughout the fight rather than saying who won so many rounds

Great vid. <3

A note about Saenchai's late career, he is mostly fighting domestic scrubs or green prospects these days, no? During his competitive prime, he was typically more evenly sized with his opponent. Also, Pone Kingpetch won a boxing title before Galaxy or Samart. Not to forget Khaosai's brother Khaokar who also captured a world title in 1988. Looking at their styles, I think Dekkers was probably a more combination heavy puncher than any of them.

Also, of course Samart would call his era the best lol. I've never seen anybody prove that muay thai is less populous today than in the past like I have with boxing. The general idea being the bigger the talent pool, the deeper the talent. Hell, I'm sure nutrition standards have only risen for Thailand. Dekkers mostly fought in the heavier, thinner divisons of muay thai anyway, itself an insular, domestic sport.

Last edited:
he is mostly fighting domestic scrubs or green prospects these days, no?
Yes he retired from stadium scene in 2014 and the guys he is fighting are not on his leve. But some of his opponents have been quite solid, for example Chadd Collins and Aziz Hlali,

Ramon Dekkers Man Or Myth? He’s was real
No myth. Lol

Last edited:
I'm currently staying in Bangkok and on the way from Suvarnabhumi to the hotel I was originally staying at (30 minute drive), I passed by 10 or so gyms and all of them looked busy with many people training. That being said, many Thais I have talked to from Bangkok or otherwise more wealthy or westernized areas have little interest in training or having their kid be a fighter one day. Most Thais I have met from Isaan and Northern Thailand love it (they are also often trainers or former fighters). That's just my experience though, so take it as you will. I am here for training after all haha
that life is pretty brutal. I think very few people of means would choose it for themselves or their children.

ramon dekkers is overrated

I'm not a fan of sub-heavyweight

the only fights worth watching are heavyweight

I'm not a fan of sub-heavyweight

the only fights worth watching are heavyweight

I'd say the opposite is rather true. Most heavyweight fights are just non technical bum fights. Gone are the days of prime K-1.

Back