Raider Nation v28: Gruden’s Grinders

“This brings us to Conley. Jon Gruden likely decided that he was done with the former first-round pick after a disastrous game against the Packers on Sunday. When the Raiders tried to play Cover-0 and send the house on a third-and-4 against a dominant Packers offense, Aaron Rodgers threw a quick out to Marquez Valdes-Scantling. Conley slipped coming out of his break and failed to tackle Valdes-Scantling, who turned upfield for one of the easiest 74-yard touchdowns you'll ever see.

Conley struggled elsewhere during the Packers game and hasn't been good in 2019. As the closest defender in coverage, the NFL's Next Gen Stats suggest the Ohio State product has allowed opposing quarterbacks to go 21-of-29 for 389 yards with five touchdowns against a lone pick this season. That's a 139.7 passer rating. The only cornerback who has been targeted at least 20 times who has given up more yards per attempt than Conley's 13.4 yards per throw is the Chargers' Desmond King.”

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...nfl-trade-grades-tracking-every-deadline-deal

<30>

Saw Conley quit on a few plays yesterday. Fuck him.

It was infuriating to watch him shy away from tackles. Good riddance.

edit
@HeirApparent that was one of the plays that distinctly stuck out. Embarrassing.

I mean seriously, did he forget how to tackle? What the hell is he doing on that play?

I mean seriously, did he forget how to tackle? What the hell is he doing on that play?
Hes never been a physical CB. But fuck letting someone quit on plays over and over.

On a happier note, offense is looking very nice. Jacobs, Waller, Moreau, ballers. O-line has been fucking tremendous.

Except Carr, overthrows Renfro in the beginning of the game, Renfro would have walked into the end zone. Carr fumbling for the second time in his career the exact same way. Overthrew Doss. If we could get some top notch WR’s, that might help. However, what’s up Jacobs not extending the ball to break the plane (spelling) of the goal line? What’s up with Waller not picking his feet up and high stepping when he caught that ball at the 5 or wherever? These are nuances of the game that must be drilled into these “guys” head. If you noticed, the RAIDERS did not score on the Waller play. On that INT Carr threw going for Waller, there was a RB coming around Carr’s weak side heading up field with speed. Carr forced it.

I totally agree with you that a lot of our offensive players are very good, but it looks like the RAIDERS need to play mistake free football against the top teams in the league to beat them.

One last note, I hope J. Jacobs wants stay with the RAIDERS once his rookie contract is up.

Carr is a smart guy, knows his X’s and O’s on a chalkboard, but imo he always comes up short when actually playing on the field. He’s not an elite QB. Doesn’t deserve that top notch money

My opinion

Except Carr, overthrows Renfro in the beginning of the game, Renfro would have walked into the end zone. Carr fumbling for the second time in his career the exact same way. Overthrew Doss. If we could get some top notch WR’s, that might help. However, what’s up Jacobs not extending the ball to break the plane (spelling) of the goal line? What’s up with Waller not picking his feet up and high stepping when he caught that ball at the 5 or wherever? These are nuances of the game that must be drilled into these “guys” head. If you noticed, the RAIDERS did not score on the Waller play. On that INT Carr threw going for Waller, there was a RB coming around Carr’s weak side heading up field with speed. Carr forced it.

I totally agree with you that a lot of our offensive players are very good, but it looks like the RAIDERS need to play mistake free football against the top teams in the league to beat them.

One last note, I hope J. Jacobs wants stay with the RAIDERS once his rookie contract is up.

Carr is a smart guy, knows his X’s and O’s on a chalkboard, but imo he always comes up short when actually playing on the field. He’s not an elite QB. Doesn’t deserve that top notch money

My opinion
Its amazing how you only ever seem to notice his mistakes. Guy is running the fuck out of this offense and has been incredibly efficient. His struggles have come against the very best teams in the league, and he stomped some good ones. Its at the very least worthwhile to note that his fumble was a bad call, and Waller was pulled down by the second DB with no call.

If I told you theyd be 3-3 right now at the start of the season no one would believe it.

Its amazing how you only ever seem to notice his mistakes. Guy is running the fuck out of this offense and has been incredibly efficient. His struggles have come against the very best teams in the league, and he stomped some good ones. Its at the very least worthwhile to note that his fumble was a bad call, and Waller was pulled down by the second DB with no call.

If I told you theyd be 3-3 right now at the start of the season no one would believe it.
Did those mistakes result in not scoring TD’s?

No one cares that he gave effort or the o-line played lights out, that’s what they’re supposed to do!

Last edited:

tenor.gif

You’re right, Good Job!

Last edited:
Did those mistakes result in not scoring TD’s?
Watch this all the way through. Flag 10/10 times if thats GB. Stepped out on the fumble, but that one really stings since it was a near identical repeat of the Cowboys debacle.

Watch this all the way through. Flag 10/10 times if thats GB. Stepped out on the fumble, but that one really stings since it was a near identical repeat of the Cowboys debacle.

Carr looks Waller down the whole time. He was also double teamed. Better option would have been the RB coming out the backfield. Can’t go to your main guy all the time.

Carr looks Waller down the whole time. He was also double teamed. Better option would have been the RB coming out the backfield. Can’t go to your main guy all the time.
Easy to play arm chair QB. If hes not grabbed and pull down Waller handled double coverage all day and ate them alive.

Easy to play arm chair QB. If hes not grabbed and pull down Waller handled double coverage all day and ate them alive.
Am I not right as well as a few on Twitter who had the same conclusion as myself?

I get it, it’s easier to dissect these plays after the fact than during the game itself, but these are plays Carr should have learned from a few years ago. It’s like chess, you set up your frequent plays to your frequent/go to player, but then you need to switch it up right quick and fool your opponent. “You thought I was going to my frequent (Waller) player, but haha bam!, I’m going over here, Gotcha Bitch!” That’s how you need to be mentally in the game. And don’t look your WR down the whole time. I’m looking over here, but nope I’m going this way. Seen Rodgers do it in the game against us. That’s what the difference is between elite QB’s and average ones.

Just make sure you ride and die with your QB when people/analysts criticize Carr for not progressing in facets of the game he should be as a pro.

Last edited:
Am I not right as well as a few on Twitter who had the same conclusion as myself?

I get it, it’s easier to dissect these plays after the fact than during the game itself, but these are plays Carr should have learned from a few years ago. It’s like chess, you set up your frequent plays to your frequent/go to player, but then you need to switch it up right quick and fool your opponent. “You thought I was going to my frequent (Waller) player, but haha bam!, I’m going over here, Gotcha Bitch!” That’s how you need to be mentally in the game. And don’t look your WR down the whole time. I’m looking over here, but nope I’m going this way. Seen Rodgers do it in the game against us. That’s what the difference is between elite QB’s and average ones.
If Waller isnt grabbed and pulled to the ground and makes that catch, or at worst it isnt a pick, youd be praising Carr for fitting it into a tight window.

Bitch about the fumble if you want but cannot control non calls for holding/PI.

Waller beat double coverage all day. Nothing wrong with that attempt from Carr.

If Waller isnt grabbed and pulled to the ground and makes that catch, or at worst it isnt a pick, youd be praising Carr for fitting it into a tight window.

Bitch about the fumble if you want but cannot control non calls for holding/PI.

Waller beat double coverage all day. Nothing wrong with that attempt from Carr.
Ok. Respect to your opinion, but I don’t agree
Plus in reality you don’t know if he’s not held he makes that catch. Assumption

Last edited:
Back