Rafa Mendes - Taking the back from turtle + collar choke from back

I really like to trap the far arm, gi and no gi, and to prevent my opponent to roll me, I just get a leg in between his... also, I used to like to roll them before the roll me, automatically, just as they go to turtle, I would trap the far arm, and roll over his far shoulder, creating a scramble where most of the times I would end up with the sit bealt or one arm across and the other controling one arm, though I would have to fight to get the hooks...

Once again, Rafa delivers and makes me to be excited to get back to training again. He made the great point of not getting your arm trapped in the turtle position. I always went for seat belt right away when my partner was in turtle, and I always rolled me over if I wasn't based out correctly.

Is there a video of that simple cross choke from the back he shows? I have never been shown that choke when I was training. Bow and arrow was always the first thing I went for when I took back.

Is there a video of that simple cross choke from the back he shows? I have never been shown that choke when I was training. Bow and arrow was always the first thing I went for when I took back.

I know Rafa did that choke at the 2011 Pans and maybe the 2011 Worlds?? A couple gi things in 2011, not 100%.

If you can find that footage there's some good stuff. Gui Mendes finished Henrique Rezende with it at this year's Pans.

Ts
Once again, Rafa delivers and makes me to be excited to get back to training again. He made the great point of not getting your arm trapped in the turtle position. I always went for seat belt right away when my partner was in turtle, and I always rolled me over if I wasn't based out correctly.

S just a simple cross choke from the back, normally the leg that its trapping the arm should be under the arm so when you throw your other leg over the shoulder you end up with a tirangle from the back...i

I know Rafa did that choke at the 2011 Pans and maybe the 2011 Worlds?? A couple gi things in 2011, not 100%.

If you can find that footage there's some good stuff. Gui Mendes finished Henrique Rezende with it at this year's Pans.

It's fairly simple and works great. One of my instructors love this choke and uses it quite often. I've started messing with it recently and it's extremely easy to get. You can actually see it being set-up by the instructor that likes it in THIS highlight video I did for our academy. As you can see in the video, you can actually do it under the arm too.

For the choke, with the grip high on the lapel around the neck you just pull it back around the neck and with the lower grip on the lapel you pull straight downwards. Pulling downwards makes that lapel taut and keeps his neck from going anywhere as the other closes off the space.

i actually prefer bow and arrow because it requires only one grip on the collar but this is still an awesome basic technique. brilliant stuff like always.

Thanks, guys. I see it being used all the time. I guess I'll just have to play with it when I start training again. I have the 2012 world championships on DVD and Rafa destroys Rader with the same exact choke.

Great technique, love it.

come to think of it, is it really that easy to flip them to their side? i usually attack the turtle with the seatbelt and work to stretch out their near side leg, and even then it's pretty difficult to turn them.

BTW I am almost certain this video (along with the anaconda choke video) are not on their training website.

Great vid. I actually think Rafa and Braulio have my favorite level of explanation ... neither just showing moves, nor spending tons of time on conceptual wankery, they explain what makes the move succeed, why, and how to do it.

i watched this yesterday and used it 3-4 times last night in rolling, definitely adding it to my turtle attacks

Great find. So going to add this to my arsenal.
Its insane how gui and rafa have spent their entirely lives to bjj. The way they break down positions, its not wonder that with their intense drilling and with all those minute details, the average black belt just will not stand a chance against them

Back