Law Racist Smirker hates the freedom of the press

What is the standard for a libel claim against a paper in the States?

I know y'all down in the land of the free have stronger free speech laws than in Soviet Canuckistan. I don't think WaPo would stand a chance here in Canada, since there is no chance this would meet the test of being a responsible communication on a matter of public interest, or fair comment.

Nick Sandmann is suing the Washington Post for $250 million. Apparently he's got 53 other targets lined up for defamation cases as well.

What do you lawyer types think? Does he win? Do the defendants settle? Is his case dismissed?

Libel seems hard to prove, but I think he's got a case. They published untrue attacks on his character with reckless disregard for the facts. And he's not a public figure.

Contains disturbing images. Maturity required.
sandmann-1-e1549959810687.jpg

Good!

About time press is held to account!

I’m also still absolutely baffled that the group of Blacks yelling racist shit, fa**ot, etc. at a group of school children, caught on tape, went virtually unmentioned in the media, lol.

I mean.....what? How?

Exactly.

Soft bigotry of low expectations. Black people cant control themselves, they can't be held to the same standards of behavior as white people.

What is the standard for a libel claim against a paper in the States?

I know y'all down in the land of the free have stronger free speech laws than in Soviet Canuckistan. I don't think WaPo would stand a chance here in Canada, since there is no chance this would meet the test of being a responsible communication on a matter of public interest, or fair comment.
Regardless of the standard, what exactly was the worst things WaPo published about the kid? No one seems to be able to produce an article or quote that would meet libel standards in any jurisdiction.

Regardless of the standard, what exactly was the worst things WaPo published about the kid? No one seems to be able to produce an article or quote that would meet libel standards in any jurisdiction.

I believe the complaint has several exhibits attached to it. Those would be the articles. Check them out if you’re curious.

Freedom of speech must be protected, but if there's deliberate intent to manufacture a hoax or spin a fake story for monetary gain, with negative consequences to the people involved, then some of that money ought to be returned to the people who were taken advantage of, who had their reputations sullied as a result of it.

In this case I do not think that such intent can be proven. The press can probably point to their incompetence, rather than greed, as having been the cause behind pushing a fake narrative.

Let's not act as if modern media is the equivalent of what was once upon a time, the "underdog" guy running his own individually funded newspaper, reporting about the things that people don't want to hear. Today, it is the media that is the "overlord", owned by the few, capable of pushing whatever narrative it wishes, and like any other ever-growing, bloated corporation, requires some form of regulation and a sense of responsibility, to stay in check.

Nope.

The state shouldn't get to determine historical truth. It shouldn't have the power to decide what's a hoax, what's fake, or what's manufactured. This is what authoritarian states do regularly: they decide what media is saying the truth and who is saying fake things and they punish the fakers. Basically what you're proposing. Stalin and Mao approve.

States that value freedom let the public decide. This is why these sort of things are completely legal in the US:

National-Examiner-Magazine-George-W-Bush-Princess.jpg

enquirer-obama-mutiny.jpg

Hope the kid wins.

The media is out of control these days and real journalism is all but dead.

Kid is a dick. Lawyers gonna get rich off of putting this kid in debt. He deserves it though.

Say more. What exactly did this kid say or do that makes you label him a dick?

It's called :

Hi. My name is a @emefer and I'm jealous-as-fuck of a kid that's about to be set for life. Why is that kid get to be rich and not me? That dick!

That's what it is, Inga. <CerseiPlotting>

they called for his death and doxxing, some famous people did it. he should sue fuck that

For those that do not understand, the kid does not have to pay a dime out of pocket. This lawsuit is most likely based on contingency. This means that the lawyers will work for free for now, but if they win, they get a certain percentage of the award. If he doesn't win, he doesn't pay anything. So no, the kid is not going to end up in the poorhouse if they do not recover anything despite certain wishful sentiments in this thread.

Lol he's already been cleared as far as im concerned, all he deserves is an apology from the goofball native guy and move on with his pampered life.

Team Bezos and team Amazon !!
forget all the death threats and doxxing for your family members

Back