• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Social Racial "activist" NFL player Davis apologizes for anti-Asian slur

Tbh I believe him, that entry has been there for a few years and South Florida does have its own weird slang. I remember a friend of mine calling a joint a "white boy" and I was like "wat? Just call it a joint" but apparently that's what they call joints down in SF.

Still, kinda crazy he didn't know that term was offensive to Asians. To be fair to him its not that commonly used, feels like it was more common during the Vietnam War for obvious reasons but lots of young people born well after that war don't have much exposure to it. I've been mostly exposed to it through movies from that era.

About sums it up

No, this would be more akin to somebody saying the N-word, and playing dumb over the meaning after they got busted.

"Where I come from, the N-word just means dumb and ignorant. I was totally unaware of it's historical context, I swear."

"So, when you said 'they gotta stop letting all these n-word's into LA', you were just talking about dumb people?"

"Uh-huh, yep."

"But that doesn't make any sen-"

"This interview is over!"
You're being disingenuous as you usually are on such matters, but it makes perfect sense in the context of its South Florida slang definition. A guy who he thought was "lame" was bragging about "running" Miami. So he said we've got to stop letting these "lames" into Miami, except he didn't use the term lame, he used another term which BOTH of them understood to mean lame as it's the slang they use where they grew up. It's not analogous to the N-word, because literally everybody knows its origin as a racial slur. Whereas the G-word isn't used nearly as much, especially by young people. Somehow it developed into a non racial slur in South Florida, an area with a small Asian population but a large black and Hispanic population.

The mental gymnastics in this thread by some posters to defend this guy are astounding.

Maybe it's because I'm married to an Asian but I just can't see how you can defend being this dumb, or ignorant. I knew what that word meant when I was 10 years old. The secondary term shit is actually believable but I'll never believe this dude didn't know what it actually means. He thought he was entitled to use that word.

Who in the world still uses language like that lol? It’s like they want to get fired.

Lol I honestly do give him the benefit of the doubt after doing some research. The player really does come from inner city South Florida where that particular word; and variations thereof, are common vernacular, w/ meanings that have nothing to do w/ Asian people. Seems like a case of ignorance to the more widely recognized meaning of that term.

The mental gymnastics in this thread by some posters to defend this guy are astounding.
Honestly, it's the other way around. I couldn't give two shits about this guy. I was ready to ridicule him for something that seemed ridiculous on its face. But then I looked into it and I saw corroborating evidence. As Keynes said, when the facts change, I change my mind. I'm not scared to be the bigger man and admit when I was wrong. A lot of right leaning posters in this thread are sticking to the tired "he's a racist and he meant it in a racist way!" talking point because they want to score cheap identity politics points from the other side.

Meyers Leonard was cut from the league after uttering k*ke while playing a video game just a month ago. Apologies couldn't save his career.

Honestly, it's the other way around. I couldn't give two shits about this guy. I was ready to ridicule him for something that seemed ridiculous on its face. But then I looked into it and I saw corroborating evidence. As Keynes said, when the facts change, I change my mind. I'm not scared to be the bigger man and admit when I was wrong. A lot of right leaning posters in this thread are sticking to the tired "he's a racist and he meant it in a racist way!" talking point because they want to score cheap identity politics points from the other side.
Well when a racial slur is said most people aren't as quick to dismiss it as you are. I'm also guessing if this was a white person you wouldn't have been so inclined to do your research to prove his innocence. But since the black man said he didn't know no better we have to give them the benefit of the doubt, wouldn't want to be seen as racist.

Was the target of his comment Asian? If not, than he's probably telling the truth about not knowing what the word means.
He was referring to another black guy from South Florida, a hip hop producer. It's primarily used in SF by black people to refer to other black people in a non racial way. No idea where it comes from.

FWIW, I'm half black and originally from Boston (where I live now), but I lived in South Florida for almost ten years before moving back to Boston a few years ago. The East Asian population there is pretty small and mostly Thai or Chinese, not Vietnamese. It's also pretty segregated between race and class down there. I'm middle class and I lived in nice areas near the beach the entire time I was down there.

Areas were predominately white with some Latinos and relatively few blacks. But if you go to poorer areas further from the beach, it will be like 80-90% black. It's like a different world. Even better off black people tend to avoid those areas. It's pretty insular. I never picked up on the slang usage of the G-word down there and I can believe that he never picked up on how most people in society understood the term.

The only thing i got from that tweet is that Davis is racist against Asian people.

He was referring to Asian people in so obviously a derogatory way one would have to be a gold medal olympic mental gymnast in order to not see that.

Replace the g word with the n word and tell me how ok it is. Both are racial insults.

This shit is absolutely fanatical, all of it. Fuck, it’s every day here, so and so said this and how awful is he/she!

This path doesn’t feel like progress.
Lol at “cancel culture” yeah Im getting sick of crybabies left and right.

Well when a racial slur is said most people aren't as quick to dismiss it as you are. I'm also guessing if this was a white person you wouldn't have been so inclined to do your research to prove his innocence. But since the black man said he didn't know no better we have to give them the benefit of the doubt, wouldn't want to be seen as racist.
Dude, I look into EVERYTHING. I'm not a lazy, ignorant person nor a partisan hack. We have the powers of the internet at our fingertips, we might as well use them. I'm mixed and not white, so not worried about being seen as racist. I don't give a fuck. I tell it like it is. I have a strong bullshit detector. It did go off initially but I looked into it as I usually do. It checked out so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. He also apologized like a man and agreed not to use the term anymore, so that's good enough for me. And even if he were white or Latino, if he grew up in South Florida using the slang that way, I'd still give that to him.

The only thing i got from that tweet is that Davis is racist against Asian people.

He was referring to Asian people in so obviously a derogatory way one would have to be a gold medal olympic mental gymnast in order to not see that.

Replace the g word with the n word and tell me how ok it is. Both are racial insults.
Dude, he was literally referring to another black guy who's a hip hop producer and grew up in the same area in South Florida where it's a slang term which means lame or weird.
The term “Gook” is often misconstrued and interpreted as a racial slur, in the case of Denzel Curry growing up in South Florida “Gook” means you’re lame or weird. As we recently learned from his album Imperial Denzel fully embraces being a “Gook” because it just means that you’re being yourself – whether people like it or not.
http://citrusrap.com/blog/2016/09/09/denzel-curry-gook-video/

This is from 2016, the Urban Dictionary definition is from 2017, there's corroborating evidence of how it's used in South Florida in a non racist or racial way.

I know we don't usually agree, but you seem like a somewhat reasonable and fair minded person who can admit when he's wrong or can simply state the truth. Look into the South Florida specific slang usage of the term which is not applied in a racist or even racial way. The dude wasn't being racist, he was simply unaware of how people outside of the area where he grew up use the term. He's now apologized and agreed not to use the word moving forward.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gook

Hell, if you look at the etymology of the term, the first published use was against black Haitians by US soldiers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gook

this is actually kind of interesting. I was aware of it's usages against Filipines, Chinese, Vietnamese and of course my people..but not Haitians.

Typical double standard if he was white and said that look the fuck out.

Meyers Leonard was cut from the league after uttering k*ke while playing a video game just a month ago. Apologies couldn't save his career.
Dude, he wasn't "cut from the league" (which isn't even an actual thing). He's out after season-ending shoulder surgery. He also only played in 3 games last year due to injury. He's a career scrub whose body is starting to break down. If he was healthy and any good then he would be playing. But he's not so he's not. Simple as that. It's not because he's white or he's "canceled" or any shit like that. If any athlete ever got canceled it was Kaepernick. But the anti-cancel culture crowd is happy with that for some reason.

<{Heymansnicker}>

Dude, he was literally referring to another black guy who's a hip hop producer and grew up in the same area in South Florida where it's a slang term which means lame or weird.

This is from 2016, the Urban Dictionary definition is from 2017, there's corroborating evidence of how it's used in South Florida in a non racist or racial way.
They should maybe use a different word now. I mean u can just say lame. Maybe I grew up in the Bay Area that shit would never fly out here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
romanych
Back