Questions about amateur kickboxing bouts

I think even pro Thai fighters they still use shin pads frequently. Most of the shin conditioning should be the result of rounds and rounds of bag/ pad work not sparring since a hard block/ kick shin on shin = game over for a at least a session or even days.

Different approach and mentality, they also seem to go quite light in sparring most of the time. They fight more often though.

In Kyokushin for instance you often sparr and fight without shin pads, and you also tend to go harder in sparring. But unlike Muay Thai you don't fight as often and not as your profession.

Different approach and mentality, they also seem to go quite light in sparring most of the time. They fight more often though.

In Kyokushin for instance you often sparr and fight without shin pads, and you also tend to go harder in sparring. But unlike Muay Thai you don't fight as often and not as your profession.

while they may fight more often, their shin conditioning comes from kicking Thai pads and the rock hard heavybags they have over there round after round...not from going shin to shin everyday. being able to spar without shinguards and having rock hard shins is a byproduct of the training that allows them the luxury of that. try having hobbyists out here in the West doing stuff like that and people will be holding various body parts in pain due to lack of shin conditioning/control.

If the ref is doing their job, they're going to make sure that they're taped on right. If I have a fighter in the ring who hasn't taped their shinpads, I'm not starting the fight until they've been fixed. Start of a fight a ref should check your tape on your gloves, your groin guard, mouth guard, and tape on shin guards.

Tape the bottom part that covers your foot, and the top part of the shinguard. The middle will move around throughout the fight.

Tape the bottom part that covers your foot, and the top part of the shinguard. The middle will move around throughout the fight.

I haven't fought with shin guards in several years.

Places I make sure are taped are the bridge of the foot, and around the widest part of the calf.

Here in the USA it seems that the judges favor punchers. Once in awhile though there are Thai judges that favour the kickers.

"Leg kicks certainly don't finish fights." - Cecil Peoples.

cecil-peoples.jpg

2d1k6jn.jpg

Back