Question on Multivit

Is $30 (canadian) a good price for the GNC multivitamin??? I got my centrum for under 15 dollars.

King Kabuki said:
Maybe garbage wasn't the proper word. Sewage might be the better word. Why? Glad you asked.

I talked to a guy once who worked for the sewage department here in South Florida, which because Florida is so flat and near sea-level there isn't a whole lot to it. But he said he USED to work in New York, where the one item they found AMONG the sewage more than anything else?

Undigested Centrum Pills. No joke.

This sounds like an Urban Legend. (no, not something Urban of Sherdog S&P made up, but the stuff you find on www.snopes.com ).

Anyway, read http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=606218

I really doubt the standard Centrum tablets found in grocery stores all over the world have a problem disolving. What I personally don't like about them is that many of them contain Iron, which is something a healthy, non-vegatarian male shouldn't supplement with.

Alright, I took RJ's suggestion, and, well, the short version of it is that hacking feces with a knife is something better done in the privacy of one's home. Didn't learn too much about vitamins, but I know a couple more laws now.

That being said, I remember reading a sample report at Consumer Reports and Centrum didn't score well. Kirkland always does. I don't think vitamins have to be expensive, but I do believe in time-released vitamins (point being, we get our vitamins and minerals from foods where nutritional science advises that we should eat constantly throughout the day: my point being, your MV shouldn't be your primary source of vitamins...oh, you thought I was going to say, "You should mimick nature." Look at what I wrote again. I did.)

Madmick said:
Alright, I took RJ's suggestion, and, well, the short version of it is that hacking feces with a knife is something better done in the privacy of one's home. Didn't learn too much about vitamins, but I know a couple more laws now.

Whoa, explain more on this. You actually did shit and then retrieve that shit and then hack at it with a knife? I commend you my man. That takes a certain ratio of balls and brains. ;) If you post a www.dictionary.com definition for sarcasm (because I am dense) I will be upset, although, thanks to tap, I do know the correct counter move to that. But, its like a car accident, please, tell me more.

That being said, I remember reading a sample report at Consumer Reports and Centrum didn't score well. Kirkland always does. I don't think vitamins have to be expensive, but I do believe in time-released vitamins (point being, we get our vitamins and minerals from foods where nutritional science advises that we should eat constantly throughout the day: my point being, your MV shouldn't be your primary source of vitamins...oh, you thought I was going to say, "You should mimick nature." Look at what I wrote again. I did.)

Awesome. This is what I have always said. If you eat tree bark all day, you should have the best multivitamin ever. If you eat perfectly, you don't need one. Since I assume that most of us have a pretty decent diet, I think a smaller, less potent and expensive multivitamin should be perfect.

Awesome. This is what I have always said. If you eat tree bark all day, you should have the best multivitamin ever. If you eat perfectly, you don't need one. Since I assume that most of us have a pretty decent diet, I think a smaller, less potent and expensive multivitamin should be perfect.

Personally, I'm leaning toward that the average American food intake is just not what it should be in-terms of vitamin and mineral content. Which would be due to agricultural practices to achieve mass food production, as well as numerous other similar aspects. To the degree that encouraging the average American to get their daily vitamin and mineral, and even basic nutrient intake specifically from food alone and a lower-grade multi isn't what I would do. Now, that's just the average person. An athlete is going to have higher nutritional requirements. So the scale goes upward.

This is one of the reasons I recommend the more potent (I see expense as a relative non-issue, for the reason that this is health we're talking about, which should only have but so much of a cap. You can free up money in a budget, you can't hiatus the time you have with your body) vitamins. Even with the more potent vitamins AND proper eating as much as can be done without access to more pure food sources, the chances of toxicity are relatively slim. And I'd much rather have someone taking too much of a vitamin and still being healthy and strong, than having them be tentatively deficient.

But that's just my approach.

Does anyone believe that the body can digest and utilize all of it's (individual) daily needs coming from a Centrum type "One-a-Day" multi?

It's one thing to argue it's digestability, but say it does digest fully, I do not believe that one can absorb and use that potent of an amount all at once.

Passify the masses with convenience and blurred facts, feed them chemicals and callous their minds with sitcoms and reality TV.

How's it feel to be under the control of "the man"?

Kabooky, I hear ya. I totally see where you are coming from. I do think that agriculture nowadays may have less vitamins per lb or whatever due to its mass production. You did say one thing that I am unsure if is correct. You said athletes need more vitamins than non athletes. I think that on a general scale this would be true, but my main question is how much more?

I hear all the time people saying they are 2x the weight of an average man, and therefore take twice as much of everything. I would be very suprised if the scale is so linear. Most things a larger man, or an athlete does not need 2x as much (alcohol, morphine, heroine, steroids, even daily caloric intake). So, how much more vitamins does an athlete need? Is it 105% as much as a non-athlete? 150% as much?

IMO, it isn't that much more, and I think an athlete can take (on average) just as much as a non-athlete, and the extra calories he will eat due to his athletic activity will cover the extra vitamins. Same with someone who is larger.

and the extra calories he will eat due to his athletic activity will cover the extra vitamins.

That depends on the food source, which was the first-part of my point. But I'm sure there's a happy medium. When I start making money as an athlete I'm going to invest in more pure food sources. I like supplementing but I'd rather eat like a human is supposed to.

Back