Question of the Day

Trickster***

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If you roll with someone all the time (someone who is about the same skill level of you) are you getting better or does it become a stalemate?

My thoughts...

Myself and this other kid were probably two of the first 5 students at my academy and we are within 5 lbs of each other. Maybe this is in my head but I feel he used to be better than me, then I was better then him, now he is better than me etc etc.

I pretty much know his game;
When is guard he will go the same two gi chokes, or spider guard if I stand up
When he has side mount he will try to get the Darce choke
When inside my guard he will try to escape the same way
ETC (you get the point)

So are we making each other that much better because when moves DO work on the other person (which is RARE at this point) becasue it must have been done very well bc the other person was waiting for it.

OR

Are we just countering each others games and not really learning new things?

I have thought about telling him that I won't go for my "go to" moves and he can not go for his "go to" moves to force us to work on different shit. Anyway what are your thoughts on this? Do you have a teammate that is your rival (for lack of a better word) that you have a similiar situation with?

Thanks!

it's def better than being a grappling dummy for some big bastard that steamrolls you all of time

it's def better than being a grappling dummy for some big bastard that steamrolls you all of time

I know what that feels like, and it sucks. I'm a small guy so I get some new guys in sometimes that want to muscle me around all the time. One of the most frustrating things in the world to deal with, but it's great when I tap them out.

i have a few guys that i am very even with at my gym... but to avoid the stalemate i try to be less concerned with 'winning' and work on different positions... and i know this is often mentioned but i usually try to work whatever the new move of the day was in my sparring sessions... so if he has his goto moves and you have yours... try something else... instead of pulling guard go to turtle position and work on back defense.... let him pass to side then work on escapes.... try an arm drag from knees to take his back ect... just keep varying your game... it really forces you to open up and start adding moves you are effective with

i have a few guys that i am very even with at my gym... but to avoid the stalemate i try to be less concerned with 'winning' and work on different positions... and i know this is often mentioned but i usually try to work whatever the new move of the day was in my sparring sessions... so if he has his goto moves and you have yours... try something else... instead of pulling guard go to turtle position and work on back defense.... let him pass to side then work on escapes.... try an arm drag from knees to take his back ect... just keep varying your game... it really forces you to open up and start adding moves you are effective with

I very much agree but although I do not have an ego I still use this kid as a test to see how I am improving ya know? I guess I could put that on hold for a few months and just work all new shit then a few months down the road I could pull everything out and see what's what.

I very much agree but although I do not have an ego I still use this kid as a test to see how I am improving ya know? I guess I could put that on hold for a few months and just work all new shit then a few months down the road I could pull everything out and see what's what.

if you are rolling with your 'rival' a couple times a week i would say you don't need to make every roll competitive.... once a week or every other week feel free to work your 'A' game but the rest of the time try stuff out, work on your weak areas... its the only way to round out your game and improve... if you only work the same 2-3 moves all the time i think you are slowing down your rate of progress... but that's just my opinion obviously

if you are rolling with your 'rival' a couple times a week i would say you don't need to make every roll competitive.... once a week or every other week feel free to work your 'A' game but the rest of the time try stuff out, work on your weak areas... its the only way to round out your game and improve... if you only work the same 2-3 moves all the time i think you are slowing down your rate of progress... but that's just my opinion obviously

Rival was the wrong word...we are totally cool wtih each other and we never try to hurt each other or go too hard....I just meant that he is my equal - rival was a shitting word to use.

Trickster, you make it seem like having a rival is a bad thing. It's certainly good to have one to better yourself.

Back