Question for those with striking background

BrazilianDude

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Those jabs to the thigh that Bendo throws... does any other pro fighter actually use that regularly? It can be in kickboxing or in MMA
They don't seem to do much damage...

Note: I still think Bendo won. Just curious about this uncommon technique.

to me, its the ultimate point fighting technique

No it is a super rare strike. honestly it probably will only work for wrestlers. I imagine it hurts but no where near as much as other strikes. It appears to be more of a step up move. Jab the leg 3-5 times and they will think every time you change levels it is to jab and thats when you commit to the shot and put them on there back. Its a little too high risk low reward if you are doing it for anything other then setting up a better strike or setting up a takedown.

Those jabs to the thigh that Bendo throws... does any other pro fighter actually use that regularly? It can be in kickboxing or in MMA
They don't seem to do much damage...

Note: I still think Bendo won. Just curious about this uncommon technique.

The type he was throwing were wholly useless in terms of damage. They were to disrupt Cerrone's timing. I'd equate them to throwing out a jab to stop an opponents forward motion. The fact that they were counted as effective strikes can only be as a "dictating pace" and nothing more.

The kicks across the thigh, however, were a great technique.

not really, it takes a lot of hip flexibility and balance, try to do it with speed like Bendo did

front kick to the thigh is more common and easier

The type he was throwing were wholly useless in terms of damage. They were to disrupt Cerrone's timing. I'd equate them to throwing out a jab to stop an opponents forward motion. The fact that they were counted as effective strikes can only be as a "dictating pace" and nothing more.

I think it was like the third or fourth kick like that he threw, it had cowboy stiffen the leg and shake it out, had my cringing.

Bendo did this a lot vs Diaz years ago.
It's very weak, but he combines it with a lot of kicks there, too.
After his 25 kicks there and some punches Cerrone went just a little stiff with that leg.

Oh yes, really liked those kicks. Seem a lot harder to check too, since you are usually expecting something else.

I think it was like the third or fourth kick like that he threw, it had cowboy stiffen the leg and shake it out, had my cringing.

They can definitely hyper-extend the knee, which is why I'm not a fan of them. There is a way to through the technique where it is PURE devastation or no effect at all. THere is almost no middle ground with the technique.

What Bendo was throwing was the former.... and they do very little, save for when the opponent has too much weight on the lead leg and it explodes. It happens more based on placement than power. I've posted the pic of my friends knee a couple of times after I hit him with the technique.

The move is primarily used for distance, and for disrupting the opponent's movement. In that way it is effective. However, I think it is misguided to consider it on the same level as a hook, cross, or even a stiff jab... because the effect is so little unless you accidently target the cap itself and destroy the knee. This is, again, based more on the motion of the opponent than the maneuver itself.

**For reference, I trained Tang Soo Do and have trained Muay Thai for over a decade.

Oh yes, really liked those kicks. Seem a lot harder to check too, since you are usually expecting something else.

It's a technique that is great for taking on guys like Cerrone. He likes clinching and distance, so if you step in close and he's looking to grab you, that leg is usually wide open due to his base. It can, however, be countered with a back-leg knee check and you can mess up your shin majorly.

I saw Anderson do it in the Maia fight but he was basically joking around.

I can't imagine it hurts the guy at all, but it may help to create uncertainty through similar motions (i.e. it looks similar to a body jab). It seemed like Cerrone didn't really know when Benson was going to the body or to the legs, maybe the leg jabs helped.
The other thing is Benson's kicks to Cerrone's rear leg, which I thought were really cool as that's basically a muay thai thing. The rear leg is not conditioned anywhere near as much as the front so it's easier to hurt.
It's a technique that is great for taking on guys like Cerrone. He likes clinching and distance, so if you step in close and he's looking to grab you, that leg is usually wide open due to his base. It can, however, be countered with a back-leg knee check and you can mess up your shin majorly.
Why would you check a lead kick with your rear knee? Seems inefficient to reach across the body like that.

But then again, I don't really train muay thai so much as Kickboxing with Knees. lol

I called it the dick punch, and it's not particularly effective. It's just to cut off Cerrone's pressure, disrupt his timing, etc.

The kick across both thighs is a classic Muay Thai technique. I remember learning it years ago from a Thai Muay Thai instructor. It's not used much in MMA, likely because the footwork for it is fairly involved and requires putting yourself in front of the opponent and rather upright. You have to throw it at the right distance and be confident you can defend the takedown. You're basically begging to be single-legged.

Last edited:
The only ones I remember seeing do it is Benson and Vaughan Lee. It's more or less to confuse the opponent.

Last edited:
Right here, I have a background in striking, and so does 95% of the sherdog, some are even K-1 level strikers.

Back