Question for the hardcores.

Prime BJ Penn was the #1 P4P fighter,

and for good reason.

Dude was BJJ world champ, LW Champ, WW Champ, Fought the likes of Machida and shit

The only bjj match he ever lost was by RNC to Conor

in BJJ i believe he had a guard that could not be passed.... when he was a blue belt.

How did BJ Penn get his black belt in 3 years? I heard it generally takes 7-12 years to get a black belt in BJJ, how did he get it so quickly?

Was it legitimate?
Yeah it was legit. There's videos of him wrecking blackbelts as a White belt and he went on to win a black belt world championship as well in those 3 years becoming the first American to do so.

There's a reason they called the man the "Prodigy" and it wasn't just because it sounded cool.

Unfortunately being as naturally gifted as he was turned out to be both a blessing and a curse though in the grand scheme of things as it made him a little lazy and uncommitted when it came to his training since everything came so easy to him when he was young.

But age is a great equalizer and as you age training becomes more and more critical.

Just imagine a guy with BJs natural gifts combined with GSPs mindset and work ethic, the dude would have been unstoppable.

Last edited:
Bj used to train with Ralph gracie . After he left the school, ralph called him a traitor motherfucker. I'm not sure if ralph called him that because he accepted a fight with a gracie or because he left the school.
BJ got the last laugh regardless, in MMA at least, going well out of his weight class to beat Renzo and Rodrico in MW fights.

Either way though Ralph was probably pissed for both reasons, them Gracie's have proven to be a sensitive bunch over the years, lol.

Man had quite the aura in his day.

Was something to watch.

How did BJ Penn get his black belt in 3 years? I heard it generally takes 7-12 years to get a black belt in BJJ, how did he get it so quickly?

Was it legitimate?
Cos he was a prodigy. Duh.
How did he beat Matt Hughes like Matt Hughes wasnt shit,despite being a LW coming up to WW?

In a room full of killers no less.

Bj used to train with Ralph gracie . After he left the school, ralph called him a traitor motherfucker. I'm not sure if ralph called him that because he accepted a fight with a gracie or because he left the school.
Ralph is just the most cantankerous motherfucker of all time. He would be mad at the sky if he didnt like what shade of blue it was. He was like Ryan but without the sense of humor.

A lot of people give BJ flack now for his current losing streak. If you looked back at his career, you could argue he won against frankie and gsp the first time around. Also, BJ is the classic example of talent losing to hardwork. The guy barely trained and when he did it was just skill training and sparring, because he was surrounded by yes men. BJ was an original BMF of the sport even though sherdoggers consider him a joke these days.
Very true. The fact he debuted in the UFC and only has like 4 or 5 fights on his record against none top 10 opponents across multiple weight classes didn't help much either.

The guy dove in head first and never wanted anything but the biggest possible challenge and has a dozen or so fights above LW despite being at his best stepping into the cage/ ring at 167lbs.

There has been and will only ever be 1 BJ and it's sad how little respect he gets now a days from people who only know him as a record on a Wiki page but in reality he was the guy who actually did what Dana desperately tries to make the masses believe Conor does (though he never actually has), Anyone, Anyweight, Anytime.

Back