Question for the hardcores.

BJ's jiu jitsu legit as fuck

Iirc he was the first non Brazilian to win gold at the World Championships too

A lot of people give BJ flack now for his current losing streak. If you looked back at his career, you could argue he won against frankie and gsp the first time around. Also, BJ is the classic example of talent losing to hardwork. The guy barely trained and when he did it was just skill training and sparring, because he was surrounded by yes men. BJ was an original BMF of the sport even though sherdoggers consider him a joke these days.

I don't believe the guy ever worked, it may be he just trained all day every day with a high class trainer. Mind you, I don't train bjj so what do I know
This seems to make sense -- he came from a wealthy family so he likely had the financial aide to support his fighting endeavors.

A lot of people give BJ flack now for his current losing streak. If you looked back at his career, you could argue he won against frankie and gsp the first time around. Also, BJ is the classic example of talent losing to hardwork. The guy barely trained and when he did it was just skill training and sparring, because he was surrounded by yes men. BJ was an original BMF of the sport even though sherdoggers consider him a joke these days.
This is quite well put in my opinion. Hell, a couple of his bigger career wins don't even get referenced by casuals since they were outside of the UFC

Smart too. He knew he was going to spend time on his back in parking lots.

He is a gifted fighter with natural talent for combat. He was young and focused. Trained and competed relentlessly. His ground game is legendary. Hence the Prodigy.

In 1997 Penn began training Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu under Ralph Gracie, eventually earning his purple belt from Gracie.[19] At that point he moved to Nova União, where he was eventually awarded his black belt in 2000 by Andre Pederneiras.[19] A few weeks later, he became the first non-Brazilian to win the black-belt division of the World Jiu-Jitsu Championship held in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.[20] While Penn's most well-known and prestigious achievement was placing first in the black belt division in the 2000 world championships, he had success at the Mundials in previous years. In 1999, at the age of 20, Penn finished 3rd, earning himself a bronze medal in the brown belt division, losing only to Fernando "Tererê" Augusto, and in 1998, earned a silver medal, placing 2nd in the blue belt division.[21] Penn is thought to have earned the fastest legitimate black belt of all active Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu practitioners. (wiki)

-In other words, he was just really good

He has a very wealthy family so didnt need a job. He pretty much trained it 24/7 solid. It also helps he was SKILLED aswell.

His books a really cool read actually, especially talking about the BJJ aspect.

read his book, he had learned some bjj from a guy in hawaii, but he got good enough the guy told him he needs a real instructor
thats when his parents set him up, to do bjj as his job, at ralphs in san francisco iirc
he didnt really have anything to do there but bjj

This has to be my favorite online trait. I know zero about this, yet I feel compelled to say something.
It's probably an online trait you have yourself. Quite common on online discussion boards. Nothing wrong with adding to a discussion

a lot of people are commenting on the fact that he didn't have to work - and it's true. but there are plenty of BJJ competitors in the world who don't do anything but train, and they're nowhere near the level of penn.

BJ was naturally extremely gifted, and he was obsessed with the sport at the time. he talks about it in his book, he couldn't think about anything other than training at the time. the fact that he could train at nova uniao with monsters like vitor ribeiro and robson moura certainly didn't harm his progress, but the fact of the matter is the man was incredibly talented and he worked insanely hard.

to those who question the legitimacy of his black belt after such a short period of time: he was actually preparing to compete at the mundials at brown belt, and a few weeks before the tournament he got promoted to black belt. he went on to compete and won. he was a black belt for a month and he won the world championship at black belt. not some NAGA bullshit tournament, the fucking worlds. he was the best black belt in the world at his weight class weeks after becoming a black belt. that is insane.

he has a reputation for being lazy and unmotivated, but early in his career, the man was a machine. he did nothing but train. there have been very few people with that kind of talent and dedication in both BJJ and MMA.

I got mine in only 2 weeks. I bought that bitch right off eBay.

He was a rich kid and got privates everyday. Everyone seems forget how well off penn was.

This^

From what I understood his family put up a Gracie to do privates with BJ. That propelled his advancement in BJJ. That fact that he competed at black belt level and won, shows its legit for sure.

His BJJ was enough to get over half the MMA fighters who were asked about Penn vs GSP 2 to pick Penn to win it, even though GSP was crushing everyone at that time and Penn was moving up a weight class. Anderson even called Penn the #1 fighter p4p before the GSP fight, based in a large part on the respect he had for Penn's BJJ accomplishments.

Back