Question for punches. (SELF DEFENSE)

Lorenz0

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello all how are ya'll doin? I'm kinda new here I've been off and on.
I've trained TKD for a few years, and at home on the bag off and on. I've come a long way physically, but as well as fight experience I'd have to admit I have NONE!

Anyways, this is a SELF DEFENSE question. I would like to have the confidence and ability to be able to defend myself or others properly from any trouble that occures. Recently I've had a few run-ins with "JERKS" who act tought and basically disturb the public peace. I've really questioned wether or not to get involved.

I've alreayd almost got in a few fights due to the fact people here in southern california take a "glance" or "stare" as a challenge even if the stare is out of curiousity. This has arisen some serious deep internal need for the proper self-defense mechanism or technique or whatever.

ANYWAYS! All this BS and ranting aside, if anybody can give me a regiment to give me a guaranteed way to develop "Knock-out" power, I would appreciate it. I know the basics of punching/boxing and I know I can generate a good power, or possibly knock someone out if I wanted to, but the fact is I need to have some kind of repetition or regimen I can build off of STRICTLY for self-defense.

Thank you all ;)

Knockouts are more a result of timing than anything else, power in abundance is not neccessary, if the brain can see a strike coming and register it there will be no knockout, for the street you need to know how to do your business and leave, and sport martial arts don't have to apply there, kick the dude in his balls then leave.

The trick to streetfighting is to hit the other guy really hard.

That's all there is to it.

straight punches.....and put your bodyweight into them for gods sake.

get the first hit in, a short hard hook to the chin, surprise attacks work the best in street fights. it's hard to get a ko when you're both swinging. if it does come to a brawl make use of your elbows and knees.

Call police! Realy, don't fight on streets unless your life is threatened. Winning or surviving 1 on 1 street fight is maybe 50-70% skills and abbility, the rest is luck. In a 1 on 2 it's 30% skills 70% luck, if there are more, it's 2% to 98%. When I was in my "jerk" phase I had a lot stress on the streets. I If you have a street fight there are still consequences doesn't matter if you win or lose, ispecialy if you have to do with the asocial segment. Best self defence is not coming in situations where you have to defend your self, second best is a 200m dash.

Don't go looking for fights. Mind your own business and don't get involved in shit unless it effects you. Train Muay Thai if you want to learn to fight.

don't fight. the paradox is you gotta punch hard, but u risk breaking your hand. thres too many varaibles. street fighting is very hard to predict.

The fights that I've seen and have been in myself have shown me that the guy that takes it to the ground first is usually the one to win. Learn how to wrestle and a few submissions or so and you should be fine to fight an average Joe from the local bar.

bck said:
The fights that I've seen and have been in myself have shown me that the guy that takes it to the ground first is usually the one to win. Learn how to wrestle and a few submissions or so and you should be fine to fight an average Joe from the local bar.
I suppose you havn't seen much. :rolleyes:

bck said:
Where the fuck do you see fights? Mud wrestling shows?

aa000483.jpg

Brawl. Brawl with hooks and straights. Brawl is the code of Street Fighting. Also, don't aim for the chin in street fight.. you don't have gloves on. Trust with all the techniques you trained, trust that they will come up even when you brawl. Tempo is really high in street fighting, and you gotta dominate the tempo to win in a street fight... assumping your opponent is someone as tough as you are.

Also, when you punch, always

Aim for the neck. That way you really don't risk your hand (never had ANY problem with breaking my hand) and even if you miss (which happens a lot when you brawl), you will end up hitting chin, collar bone, nose, and every nice parts to hit. Every single punch to the neck. Punching on a neck can really KTFO your opponent, and actually disregard a lot of size disadvantage with a single blow. If you miss? You are still most likely gonna hit chin, nose, collar bone... which is also good!

This tip is coming from someone who really had lots of street fights and as a result was dropped out from the highschool. But... seriously don't fight. I couldn't go to college when I was supposed to go, and it took me like 15 more yrs to finally go to College.

the chin is definetily the best spot to aim for. in a street fight wouldn't you rather break your hand than lose the fight and get seriously hurt? most knockouts come from hard hooks and crosses to the jaw.

anyone willing to start shit at a glance has one of three things:

- more backup in calling range than who he's glancing at
- a weapon
- he's a big, strong mofo

never count on streetfights being anything close to fare. this is how people get stabbed.

best advice? avoid it. you might win and walk away with 200 stitches. not a real victory in any case.

You aren't going to have much chance of hitting anything specific unless you practice a lot of boxing. You are best off just putting your chin down, hands up, and swing for the fences. That'll do pretty well. If you want to get better, you should practice striking.

Most of how well you do depends on your opponent. If he's just an average wuss, a few punches anywhere will take the fight out of him. If he's a really good fighter, you basically MUST hit him on the chin to take him out. And you probably are going to get ruled ....

You can't tell how good of a fighter somebody is from their looks either. So you are always best off just getting the hell out of there.

I'd avoid punching to the head save for a shot at the nose-- busting someone in the snot locker causes massive pain, surprise, tearing of the eyes (harder to fight when you can't see shit) and most of all will often lead to a gusher of blood. Your average palooka will lose a lot of will to fight or even turn and bolt when they see their own blood. Otherwise, I'd use hammerfist or palm-heel strikes. If I was gonna punch to the head, I'd hook for the temple or hook/cross to either side of the point of his chin.

A better bet would be the solar plexus. My niece can throw hard enough to deliver enough force to the solar plexus to be effective. Nobody is so tough that they don't need to breathe to fight; when's he's down, clutching his gut, wheezing and maybe even puking, run.

Surefire to develop punching power? I was gonna link you to the Power Punching Coach (Dennis Carr, Sr.) but realized that would be lame. Instead, work the bag and the mitts to develop strength and technique, which together = power.

Back