Question for nondrinkers

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by thaifighter541, Feb 8, 2016.

1. thaifighter541

thaifighter541 Orange Belt

So I have decided to give up drinking and have not had a drink since January 16. No major declarative reason for the choice other than I just prefer being clean and straight edge. I feel great but my social life has taken a hit as I am much more conversational and engaging after a few drinks. Anyways, a question for nondrinkers, how do socialize enjoyably without the drink?

2. LogicalInsanity

LogicalInsanity Free RR! Belt

I haven't "stopped drinking" completely but I have curbed it a great deal (since CrossFit and going Paleo, don't worry...I won't talk your ear off about either)

I've been to social functions sober....and I gotta say...it kinda sucks being around drunk. buzzed people when you're sober.

Everything just seems a little louder, and a lot more annoying.

But believe it or not, it's pretty easy to socialize without drinking...granted it's a great ice breaker and I've had great times, hook ups, conversations because of booze...but you can also have great conversations while sober...and meet cool people...

you can have fruitful conversations about politics, religion, movies, sports, life, marriage, you job without booze...

do you have social anxiety or anything like that? do you need booze to take the edge off?

3. Doughbelly

Doughbelly αlpha-nerdette, action scientist

2nd Star to the Right & straight on til morning.
  4. Sycho Sid

Sycho Sid Master of the world and the universe

Drinking never enhances my ability to socialize. You are probably just too used to doing it that way that yu have become dependent on it. Just give it time.

Also, try socializing with those who are drinking, they let their guard down so it is pretty easy to emulate.

FeloniousMonk likes this.
  5. RetiredSlave

RetiredSlave Brown Belt

Join groups Fight Club style.

LogicalInsanity likes this.
  6. n...not crazy

n...not crazy Red Belt

I don't know that there's a good replacement. There's a reason booze has been popular for thousands of years.

Doughbelly and Tankeray like this.
  7. HereticBD

HereticBD Titanium Belt

If you need booze to socialize, you're probably just not all that social by nature.

Do some coke. Loosen you right up.

8. MoparOrNoCar

MoparOrNoCar Black Belt

Just pretend you're drunk. It's what half the people at the bar are doing anyway.

Gazwald and EmpireShallFall like this.
  9. IIIIIIII

IIIIIIII Titanium Belt

you need alcohol to be social? that's not a good sign, in my mind. it sounds like you're lacking in confidence, which is probably where the alcohol helps you. maybe see why you don't engage with folks first.

FeloniousMonk likes this.
  10. Gutter Chris

Gutter Chris Chiropteran Enthusiast

Look at all the leaf still left on there....Clean it up proper

Also good advice on how to deal with not drinking

11. El Chimpo

El Chimpo Cruel Man Platinum Member

i quit drinking in august

it really comes down to you WANTING to quit... you can say you will quit but you have to fully understand what that means

also weed helps

12. europe1

europe1 It´s a nice peninsula to Asia

We develop personalities.

Kraysla and GearSolidMetal like this.
  13. indo80

indo80 Purple Belt

start by talking about the weather .....lol

14. Organic Damage

Organic Damage Dancing on the ashes of the World

Cause humans are scared of interracting with one another face to face?

Also explains the popularity of the internet.

and buttsex

15. BJ@LW&WW

[email protected]&WW Gold Belt

i dont think this has as much to do with drinking as it does with social skills/motivation to be social.

16. TeTe

TeTe Favorite Worst Nightmare Staff Member Senior Moderator

I've been sober for 13 years now. It was tough at first but most people have just become accustomed to the fact I don't drink so it's not a big deal. I still go out to bars and hang out with people that aren't drinking. Some people are envious of the fact that I don't piss away money on booze and wake up with hangovers after going out.

It can be done, just socialize with people like it's no big deal that your sober. It'll be good practice on being yourself. You may learn a lot about yourself and other people in the process.

17. indo80

indo80 Purple Belt

You have to be very tough minded to give up something that is such a big part of society. I dont want to snoop but did you stop drinking due to not being able to control it? If that is the case i couldnt imagine going to bars being a good idea.

18. TeTe

TeTe Favorite Worst Nightmare Staff Member Senior Moderator

I was a drug addict and alcoholic up to that point. It wasn't easy at first, but was no big deal after a year or two. I don't have the slightest inclination to drink now.

MmaGirl10 and SouthoftheAndes like this.
  19. thetruth2709

thetruth2709 Red Belt

I will never understand why people have to be DRINKERS or NON-DRINKERS.... why cant you be a reasonable human being capable of drinking whenever you want or not drink whenever you dont want... why do you have to put a freaking label is my point?

I drink very rarely, I used to drink more often when I was younger but now feeling drunk doesnt interest me at all... however if Im having dinner and I feel like drinking wine or maybe even have a beer "hell I will" of if I feel to have 2 beers I will too!! and then if I dont feel like having any alcohol for the next year then I wont.... My point is where does your power of decision got lost man? if you feel like having a drink why do you have to put a label that says "no Im a non drinker" why cant you just have it and enjoy it; and if you dont want to be a drunk then why cant you just have one or two, are you such an insignificant human being that you cant make a decision to just have one drink?

If you want to NOT have any alcohol because it doesnt interest you then thats fine, its you life your choice, but you TS and MANY PEOPLE seem to decide to be "non drinkers" and then ask how they do it, or say they are suffering because of it.... what the fuck man? then why would you chose that? You are not Pavlovs dog you know, you are a human being, thankfully aware of you own self and capable of creating your own conditioning.

20. Chesten_Hesten

Chesten_Hesten The Wiener of Steel

I'm married. I don't even get have sex anymore!

Maybe I should start drinking?

BisexualMMA likes this.