Question for nondrinkers

So I have decided to give up drinking and have not had a drink since January 16. No major declarative reason for the choice other than I just prefer being clean and straight edge. I feel great but my social life has taken a hit as I am much more conversational and engaging after a few drinks. Anyways, a question for nondrinkers, how do socialize enjoyably without the drink?

I'll answer all your questions as soon as I finish this pack of coolers.

If you need alcohol to be able to socialize then you're either around wrong people or a complete fucking retard.

I will never understand why people have to be DRINKERS or NON-DRINKERS.... why cant you be a reasonable human being capable of drinking whenever you want or not drink whenever you dont want... why do you have to put a freaking label is my point?

I drink very rarely, I used to drink more often when I was younger but now feeling drunk doesnt interest me at all... however if Im having dinner and I feel like drinking wine or maybe even have a beer "hell I will" of if I feel to have 2 beers I will too!! and then if I dont feel like having any alcohol for the next year then I wont.... My point is where does your power of decision got lost man? if you feel like having a drink why do you have to put a label that says "no Im a non drinker" why cant you just have it and enjoy it; and if you dont want to be a drunk then why cant you just have one or two, are you such an insignificant human being that you cant make a decision to just have one drink?

If you want to NOT have any alcohol because it doesnt interest you then thats fine, its you life your choice, but you TS and MANY PEOPLE seem to decide to be "non drinkers" and then ask how they do it, or say they are suffering because of it.... what the fuck man? then why would you chose that? You are not Pavlovs dog you know, you are a human being, thankfully aware of you own self and capable of creating your own conditioning.

Some people have a harder time with moderation. Drawing a line can be healthier for some.

I still drink ... But have cut down quite a bit ... And i didnt drink that much before ... I dont think alcohol is good for you, but i think it is even worse as you get older ... Before for say a ufc event i would have 12 beers easy .. Or me and a friend would split a bottle of scotch ... Now i may have one beer during an event or mostly none ... I had three beers during superbowl and that was from a 12 pack i have had from October ...

It depends on you as an individual and why you quit drinking.
You'll definitely notice how much other people drink and how much their behaviour and/or personalities change.
You just need to resist turning into a preacher about it.

I think it would just take practice. Do you not talk to people when you're sober? It's probably just the setting then. Get used to being sober around drunk people and you'll be fine.

I haven't "stopped drinking" completely but I have curbed it a great deal (since CrossFit and going Paleo, don't worry...I won't talk your ear off about either)

I've been to social functions sober....and I gotta say...it kinda sucks being around drunk. buzzed people when you're sober.

Everything just seems a little louder, and a lot more annoying.

But believe it or not, it's pretty easy to socialize without drinking...granted it's a great ice breaker and I've had great times, hook ups, conversations because of booze...but you can also have great conversations while sober...and meet cool people...

you can have fruitful conversations about politics, religion, movies, sports, life, marriage, you job without booze...

do you have social anxiety or anything like that? do you need booze to take the edge off?
Oh yea, I just bet your the belle of the ball after a few drinks.

Back