• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Question about Royce Gracie vs Akebono in MMA

I have already saw it but it's not the same thing at all, he was a 600 + guy literally unable to move, that's too extreme, Akebono was still in much better shape, was more mobile and a greater threat.
Akebono might have been more mobile relative to Yarborough, but he certainly wasn't mobile by any reasonable standard. Not Henry Miller, Sentoryu, was a much more mobile sumo wrestler, much closer to his athletic prime. He was nearly submitted by Takimoto and also submitted by Giant Silva. And again, Akebono was at a stage where he was forced to retire from sumo. Whether or not he could have ever made the transition to MMA successfully, when he actually did attempt it he was obviously at the worst possible point in his life to do so.

Akebono might have been more mobile relative to Yarborough, but he certainly wasn't mobile by any reasonable standard. Not Henry Miller, Sentoryu, was a much more mobile sumo wrestler, much closer to his athletic prime. He was nearly submitted by Takimoto and also submitted by Giant Silva.
I meant more mobile exactly relatively to Yarborough, that's one of the reasons why his matches are not good "replacements" for the Akebono vs Royce one.

Never heard about this Henry Miller, but he is just 5'9, nowhere near as imposing as Akebono.

I meant more mobile exactly relatively to Yarborough, that's one of the reasons why his matches are not good "replacements" for the Akebono vs Royce one.

Never heard about this Henry Miller, but he is just 5'9, nowhere near as imposing as Akebono.
Henry Miller might not be as tall, but he was a huge man and unquestionably more mobile than Chad Rowan was in the ring. Have you seen Akebono versus Bobby Ologun? That might be another one to watch if you really can't imagine how Royce did what he did to Akebono.

Henry Miller might not be as tall, but he was a huge man and unquestionably more mobile than Chad Rowan was in the ring. Have you seen Akebono versus Bobby Ologun? That might be another one to watch if you really can't imagine how Royce did what he did to Akebono.
No I haven't seen it, I will watch it tough.

I remember I was a good judo kid and had my first real fight at 14 years old. The guy was much taller and 2 years older. He punched me twice hard in the face. I spaz rushed him and makikomi'd him the to the ground right into an kesagatame hold. Held him there for about 15 minutes or longer. Never thru a punch. At the end he said if I wasnt going to punch him then he wanted to go home to eat. We got up and left.

1st time fighters might not like to be so aggressive, or really know how to be. Later tho, they may see your head like its made of clay.

Probably Akebonos 1st fist fight. "Why didn't you punch him"? isn't entirely uncommon.

...I will say that in hindsight I've gained a new respect for Royce's MMA skills when you consider his fights with bigger guys who knew how to wrestle like Akebono, Severn (who had sambo training + international level wrestler), Shamrock, Kimo, et al. I used to think of him as "budget Rickson" but Royce might actually have the better pedigree as far as matches and wins in MMA. Regardless, subbing trained guys that much bigger and stronger off your back with strikes in play is damn impressive and you're not doing that vs. skilled wrestlers without being a damn good MMA fighter yourself.
ZzZzZzZzZz

Only conjecture on my part, but Akebono's game plan appears to have been to smother Royce, maybe gas him out a little - and...
<LucyBless>Looks like the game plan he worked on himself....

ZzZzZzZzZz

<LucyBless>Looks like the game plan he worked on himself....

giphy.gif
e9101b08d176ec71f16b5ca4a3dcbec0.gif

1492064848_asian-girl-smiling.gif

Am I doing it right?

Reactions: Xuh
<{1-9}>BTW... if you wanna check out a great BJJ match... Robert Drysdale vs. Roger Gracie. Stupendous... and Drysdale shows his mettle though he loses.

Just watched it and that was a good match. Drysdale is a stud but he was up against the gi GOAT. Especially like how they both went for TDs from standing rather than butt scoot or pull guard off the bat.

Back