Question about reps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

juicemancanada

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
When i goto the gym every workout i do i work for three sets of 10,8,6, this is because ive read you should be able to do 6 reps with whatever weight then need a spotter to do more. If you can do more then 6 you need to go up in weight. is this true or should i be doing something totaly diferent????

troll.jpg

is this what happens in this fucking forum???? Fuck you buddy i ask a legit question and you go out of your way to call me a troll?? it doesnt evn make sense. A troll is looking for a reaction, you piece of shit im looking for an answer. nice post count too, fucking geek.

Anyone who isnt a pile of shit give me a straight answer regarding working out it would be appreciated.

is this what happens in this fucking forum???? Fuck you buddy i ask a legit question and you go out of your way to call me a troll?? it doesnt evn make sense. A troll is looking for a reaction, you piece of shit im looking for an answer. nice post count too, fucking geek.

Anyone who isnt a pile of shit give me a straight answer regarding working out it would be appreciated.

What was the question?

Honest answer: There is little advantage to working in such a high rep range if your primary goal is strength (though there is some merit to things like 20 rep squat etc).

I rarely lift for more than three reps, but have experienced significant gains in both strength and size (the latter being contingent on eating a caloric surplus).

Just be honest with yourself when you lift, and make sure you are working with 90-95% of your 1rm.

If you can do the whole thing then add weight.

When i goto the gym every workout i do i work for three sets of 10,8,6, this is because ive read you should be able to do 6 reps with whatever weight then need a spotter to do more. If you can do more then 6 you need to go up in weight. is this true or should i be doing something totaly diferent????

What are your goals?

It's been said that a rep range of 1-5 best emphasizes strength, 8-12 best emphasizes hypertrophy (ie. muscle size), 20 and up best emphasizes endurance. That's an overgeneralization but I'd say it's a starting point for assessing your routine.

So if you're close to failure on the last rep of each set, you're pretty much in the hypertrophy camp. Is that where you want to be?

Okay, in your squats/deads/bench thread bacon asked about your goals, here's what you said...

I am looking to be significantly stronger overall, Im right now overweight and have been back working out with my friend for over a month now. I am 250 right now and can only bench 220. dopnt know max squat and have never done deadlifts. I want to be powerful because im going to be playing rugby wiht a travel team. so i just want the most gains from my workout and on these forums ppl talk alot about deadlifts and compound workouts, so im wondering if i should get away from what ive been doin?

I have been getting stronger since working out but for my size im way below where i should be.

my goals are simply to be fats and explosive. and ver strong. i want to be able to bench closer to 300 by the summer (this is just a goal, i dont know if ts feasible) and squat alot (do not know what a good measure of this is) basically be better at everything lol.

Okay, short answer is, do fewer reps and more sets, with heavier weights and compound lifts, with full ROM.

Read the FAQ.

Read the FAQ, and stick to 5 reps or less~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back