Question about Ouano Shooto gloves

hamad_aj

White Belt
Reaction score
I am really interested in purchasing Shooto gloves...Unfortunately, authentic Shooto gloves used by Shooto Japan is made by Winnings and is known to be very expensive...
I checked their online store and it cost about 13,300 - 13,600 YEN...so ya, too expensive :eek: ...

So I searched and found the Ouano version and seems to me like its good...but in some pictures, I see that the padding is toooo big!! It just looks too dumb and weird..But in other pictures, it looks fine(normal padding size)...

So does anybody here have Ouano Shooto gloves that can post some pics of them so I can see how big the padding is?

And while were at it, can you give your opinion about it?
Till now, I havent heard any complaints about them...So you might be the first, but hopefully not :icon_chee

Thanks

You can't have big enough padding on an MMA glove for MMA sparring. What are you planning on using them for?

I have a pair of the Ouano Shootos. Personally, I don't like the positioning of the padding on these gloves. They padding is nice and thick, but it's just in an odd area over the knuckles, not directly in front of the fist. I like the Cageside MMA Safety Training gloves a lot better (have 2 pairs of 'em), and the Fairtex NHB Sparring gloves and CSI MMA training gloves look like they have a similar design as well. I'd get any of those before the Ouanos.

full contact: $127 is nothing to me....but add shipping costs from Japan to where I live(Kuwait, by the way)...and then thats bad...not to mention that our public shipping services here in Kuwait are very bad, they are not worth $10 for anything you ship....

Also, I have no way of knowing what size fits me best...so ordering something that will cost me $127 and about $30-$50 at least for shipping then finding out its not working for me...thats just frustrating to talk about!! And if I want to reship for a replacement(thats if they allow it, and if they understand a word I say in english to them), itll cost me at least another $70 for all the shipping....so yeah, its not worth it at all :)

So, Im going to have to go with the Ouano ones if I really want a Shooto look-alike...its less risky, and less costly if something comes up...

Ok, thanks...

I was also thinking about getting a pair of CSI pride-style gloves(which by the way is not being produced anymore, you can only find them at reseller stores)...what do you think?

Other than that...Ill just ask your opinions about the:

1- UFC training glove
2- Official UFC glove
3- Official WEC glove(the official one that was used by Faber and Pulver a while ago[the ones that have "WEC" written on them])

Unfortunately, I only have these five in mind...other than that, I will only consider paying a high price for an official PRIDE glove...which is either TOO high, or I cant find my size..

oh, and I cant think of anything I will do with them other than bag training and shadow boxing....maybe a little grappling(not even sparring, no striking)...so its not that big a deal...but unfortunately, I have a very picky taste with these stuff....so Im sorry :), but thanks for the help, appreciate it

So I see you're after the more "official" type gloves. Despite the high cost, the Winning Shootos are probably worth the money, and knowing the quality of that brand they are sure to be much higher quality gloves than the old Ouano Shootos.

You can try emailing their U.S. website. You will get replies in English and they can give you a sizing estimate on the gloves. I've ordered from them before (but not the Shooto gloves), and they reply fast to emails and have great customer service.

Oh, and I just read in your last paragraph in the above post that you're not going to be using them for full-time training or striking. In that case, the Ouanos might be OK for you.

the "official" thing has more to do about mony than anything else. Just my 2 cents

ok, I will try with the official winnings brand, but I still would like an opinion on the other 3 I mentioned if you guys can...

I know that "official" doesnt mean they are better than any other "no-name" brand...but people usually try out official brands before no-name brands and usually start comparing others to the official ones...But usually official brands are better constructed and produced and definetely safer, so thats why I would like to get official stuff...

By official, I dont just mean event gloves...I also mean popular brands like Ouano, CSI, fairtex, Harbinger....

anyway...thanks for your help, I am eager to hear your replies and opinions....:)(whats up with this smiley face? looks evil more than happy)

True, Phenom. I wasn't impressed with the design of the Ouano Shootos when I got them, and in terms of quality the other gloves I mentioned are on par or better.

I own the Official UFC Gloves and I use them for mitt work and G n' P on B.O.B. They look sweet as hell and are made of top quality leather. They were a little tight at first but loosened up quite nicely after their first hard 1 hr long training session.

Obviously, they are the same gloves in UFC Pro fights and should not be used for sparring.

I am aware that event gloves were not made for long term use...but some of them can hold up...

But if you arent recommending UFC gloves for sparring...then why are you using them?

-----------------------------------------
Bottom line:
What are the best gloves you would recommend for sparring? (you could list more than one)

Thanks

True, Phenom. I wasn't impressed with the design of the Ouano Shootos when I got them, and in terms of quality the other gloves I mentioned are on par or better.

i have a pair that a friend of mine is asking me to sell, tried them on and i wasn't impressed at all

I was just giving you a little sarcasm on the $127, it's steep no matter who you are... I forget my charisma doesn't show too much online...

Ok, so the Ouano gloves... nice and thick on the padding, I will give it that, but like Crossdx said, it's in a weird spot, not directly over the knuckles like most. They kind of have a hard interior shell, but that may be the leather and may loosen with some breaking in. The "finger holsters" are made of a thick leather as well, so I would definitely suggest some hand wraps as I could see these gloves digging into the webbing of your fingers without it. I picked up a pair from Combat Sports today - they're discontinued, but have a few pair hidden here and there (as they do with most discontinued items) - but only in Mediums and XL. If you want them, I'll get you a pair dirt cheap and shipping is only $20 priority (8-10 days)... just e-mail me for that if you're interested.

Here are some pics...
Ouano Shooto Gloves
Ouano Shooto Gloves
Ouano Shooto Gloves

Lemme look into those other gloves, I'm willing to bet I can still find some laying around... You'll have to tell me your size... The UFC glove is made by Century now and not Ouano anymore, so those are going to be discontinued as well as the training gloves. The WEC gloves may or may not be difficult, but I'll look into it.

Full Contact Outlet

I am aware that event gloves were not made for long term use...but some of them can hold up...

But if you arent recommending UFC gloves for sparring...then why are you using them?

-----------------------------------------
Bottom line:
What are the best gloves you would recommend for sparring? (you could list more than one)

Thanks

I use them for bag/mitt work they don't have enough padding for a sparring partner's face, I have different gloves for MMA sparring. These are the ones I use for sparring:

TapouT MMA Training Gloves from Combatsports.com

I know many people that are happy with these for sparring:
MMA Training Gloves from Combatsports.com
Max Spar MMA Training Gloves from Combatsports.com

those shooto gloves look baaad!!
and I mean "baaad" in a bad way, not a good way....

Im glad I didnt buy a pair....

Well...the most gloves I hear people recommending are the Fairtex gloves...I personally didnt like how they looked...but after hearing all these recommendations over and over and over, and seeing sooo many professionals wearing them (Like Dan Henderson in POTENT)...Im kind of getting over the "hating them" part to "theyre...ok i guess" part...

The only gloves I have in mind now are:
1- UFC training gloves
2- UFC gloves
3- WEC gloves(I know someone who sells them if anybody wants a pair BTW)
4- CSI Pride-style gloves
5- Fairtex(could someone help recommend which is better between thumb or thumbless?)

What would you guys recommend?
Or at least, what would you recommend between those I listed?

Thanks

P.S. Im glad people are benefitting from this thread...I didnt think that someone would even reply when I posted

Fairtex? As in Ultimate Combat or Combat Sparring? You say thumbless, so you have me thrown off from the original thread...

There are some UFC Gloves left - I think only in large. As far as the pride style CSI - I was told you might ask Boomer at Cagesidemma.com, but that's iffy. It does look like he has the UFC and WEC (blue Ouanos) in stock however...

Full Contact Outlet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back