Question about oats

It really depends. I like to have a little extra milk, as Iv gotten sick of extra thick oatmeal lately.

I just bought some "old fashioned" oats from the "pick it out yourself" aisle at the local market. I am hoping it's going to be good stuff.

ooh me too, i bought some quaker old fashioned oats (as they were the only oats available). i'm assuming these are rolled oats?

I can't find the article, but I read one a few weeks ago where someone was touting the benefits of supplementing with Fish oil (of course) and something found in oats--he advised to use only the steel-cut oats--for strength gain, athletic performance, etc. He said that you'd only need to eat the oats about 2x a week plus daily fish oil and he was a trainer for the St. Louis Rams, I believe.

I just tried searching for it again on teh google, but couldn't find anything. The guy was talking about how some of his athletes were concerned that they were taking something illegal because they felt like they were getting stronger during mid-season, which didn't happen in the past.

They are cut smaller which means they are digested faster, thus higher GI. Also, I've read that some instant oats are also pre-steamed to soften them up so all they need is boiling water poured on them. This also speeds up the digestion process.

So does digestion has to do with surface area? I mean I could be waaaay of base here but by this logic wouldn't chewing more (and breaking food into smaller pieces) make it digest faster (and thus higher GI)? That just doesn't seem right.

ooh me too, i bought some quaker old fashioned oats (as they were the only oats available). i'm assuming these are rolled oats?

Yes old fashioned quaker oats are rolled oats. They require a bit more time cooking since they aren't chopped up into little tiny pieces.

I can't find the article, but I read one a few weeks ago where someone was touting the benefits of supplementing with Fish oil (of course) and something found in oats--he advised to use only the steel-cut oats--for strength gain, athletic performance, etc. He said that you'd only need to eat the oats about 2x a week plus daily fish oil and he was a trainer for the St. Louis Rams, I believe.

I just tried searching for it again on teh google, but couldn't find anything. The guy was talking about how some of his athletes were concerned that they were taking something illegal because they felt like they were getting stronger during mid-season, which didn't happen in the past.

Yes that was a good article. Here you go.
Part 1: Health - Build a Better Athlete
Part 2: Health - Perform Like a World-Class Athlete

So does digestion has to do with surface area? I mean I could be waaaay of base here but by this logic wouldn't chewing more (and breaking food into smaller pieces) make it digest faster (and thus higher GI)? That just doesn't seem right.

Yeah actually I had the same thought when I posted. That's why I swallow everything whole, no chewing. It makes eating apples pretty hard :)

Seriously though I don't know the exact scientific answer. Anything I've read about GI says that whole foods have lower GI than more processed versions of the same food, studies have shown that to be true. That said, I don't think the difference in GI between steel-cut, rolled and quick oats is that much.

Yes that was a good article. Here you go.
Part 1: Health - Build a Better Athlete
Part 2: Health - Perform Like a World-Class Athlete
That article is written by Dr. Sears who makes all those claims in his book The Zone that was written years ago and makes incredibly exxagerated claims in his book...40-30-30 will get you lean but his claims of muscle gain without increasing food intake/and tales of untold endurance /strenght increases and being in a "zone" mentally like Jordan during an NBA final are just bullshit...

Yeah actually I had the same thought when I posted. That's why I swallow everything whole, no chewing. It makes eating apples pretty hard :)

Seriously though I don't know the exact scientific answer. Anything I've read about GI says that whole foods have lower GI than more processed versions of the same food, studies have shown that to be true. That said, I don't think the difference in GI between steel-cut, rolled and quick oats is that much.

Alright man, I obviously didn't think that the chewing thing was true, I was just using it as an example. I was just curious as to WHY one would get digested faster than the other.

I did a little research that might explain it. Steel cut oats have a layer of bran on them called groats, whereas rolled oats do not. I guess that this bran has more fiber, hence a lower GI.

Yes old fashioned quaker oats are rolled oats. They require a bit more time cooking since they aren't chopped up into little tiny pieces.

How do I generally make the oats then? Like time, measurements, and stuff.

Um, there are generally directions on it

Alright man, I obviously didn't think that the chewing thing was true, I was just using it as an example. I was just curious as to WHY one would get digested faster than the other.

I did a little research that might explain it. Steel cut oats have a layer of bran on them called groats, whereas rolled oats do not. I guess that this bran has more fiber, hence a lower GI.

Yeah that's true. I thought you were referring to rolled oats vs quick oats since quick oats are just rolled oats cut into smaller pieces.

Back