Question about oats

Stuckey1

White Belt
Reaction score
Why are instant oats not as good as others? I really only have time for instant oatmeal, but eat some probably 5-6 days per week. Is there anything wrong with eating instant oatmeal that often?

normal oats take 7 minutes to cook max, are you really that squeezed for time?

I doubt you only have time for instant oatmeal. I put my old fashioned (supposedly "slow cooking") oats in a bowl, fill the bowl with water until it it just barely submerges the oats, and then microwave for 1:45. Protein powder, etc. is added after. Total prep time is about 3 minutes, tops.

there is a GI difference between the heavily processed quick oats and traditional rolled/steel cut oats, fact.

Make time to cook them. I cook mine in tea the night before, then when I wake up in the morning, I chuck it on for 5 minutes in the microwave while I am on the loo.

Get off the loo, wash hands, and breakky is ready. Just add a banana and some protein, beautiful.

~Foz

there is a GI difference between the heavily processed quick oats and traditional rolled/steel cut oats, fact.

Make time to cook them. I cook mine in tea the night before, then when I wake up in the morning, I chuck it on for 5 minutes in the microwave while I am on the loo.

Get off the loo, wash hands, and breakky is ready. Just add a banana and some protein, beautiful.

~Foz

In tea?? What kind of tea do you use? That sounds interesting, I may have to try it

I believe they're higher GI.

I'm pretty sure the extra processing makes them less nutritious also.
edit: woops just realized this is an old post. Making oats with tea? Sounds awful, but I'm willing to give anything a try.

Iv been soaking my oats in milk overnight. Delicious man. Makes it more like a normal cereal. 0 prep time in the morning

In tea?? What kind of tea do you use? That sounds interesting, I may have to try it

only a few months late. I just use my favourite english breakfast tea of the moment. I'm not a fussy tea drinker, but I'm starting to look for some stronger english teas.

~Foz

Iv been soaking my oats in milk overnight. Delicious man. Makes it more like a normal cereal. 0 prep time in the morning

Yum! Have you tried this method with steel cut oats? Also, I assume you leave it in the fridge overnight?

~Foz

Where's the bacon, the eggs, the sausages, the greens

FAIL

So steel cut > rolled > quick oats > instant oats but how much difference is there between steel cut and rolled because there is a pretty huge price difference that prevents me from buying steel cut.

Yum! Have you tried this method with steel cut oats? Also, I assume you leave it in the fridge overnight?

been using normal steel cut oats, just cover with wrap in the fridge. Good to go

I'm curious...how does the type oats affect their G.I.? Aren't the instant ones just cut smaller?

I'm curious...how does the type oats affect their G.I.? Aren't the instant ones just cut smaller?

They are cut smaller which means they are digested faster, thus higher GI. Also, I've read that some instant oats are also pre-steamed to soften them up so all they need is boiling water poured on them. This also speeds up the digestion process.

~Foz

WTF.

"C'mon, Fozzy! A little bit of this is good for you! Builds your immune system."

i finally found some steel cut oats at a reasonable price. praise be to HEB (my grocery store)

Back