Question about maximal or near maximal lifting or

Ted-P

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Do rest of your workout tend to suffer after you do maximal or near maximal lifting on a certain lift?

After I have picked up on maximal lifting every week for BP, rest of my lifts seems to be suffering alot.

Should I ease back up on maximal lifting or ease back on the other exercises.

For example......

My max is 150

and I do 3 reps of 140 and about 3 or 4 sets of that. Is that too much for maximal lifting?

and also

I used to be able to do 6 rep BW dips of 3 sets pretty easily, but now I seem to struggle with them after I do benching. Not to mention my military press haven't made any gains either.

Ted-P said:
Do rest of your workout tend to suffer after you do maximal or near maximal lifting on a certain lift?

After I have picked up on maximal lifting every week for BP, rest of my lifts seems to be suffering alot.

Should I ease back up on maximal lifting or ease back on the other exercises.

For example......

My max is 150

and I do 3 reps of 140 and about 3 or 4 sets of that. Is that too much for maximal lifting?

and also

I used to be able to do 6 rep BW dips of 3 sets pretty easily, but now I seem to struggle with them after I do benching. Not to mention my military press haven't made any gains either.

The rest of my lifts don't seem to be suffering after my main lift.

I tend to go for 80% of my max with 5 x 5 on most work out days and I use dips as a max lift on a separate week than m bench max lifts.

My military press isn't making much progress either actually.

Fedorable said:
The rest of my lifts don't seem to be suffering after my main lift.

I tend to go for 80% of my max with 5 x 5 on most work out days and I use dips as a max lift on a separate week than m bench max lifts.

My military press isn't making much progress either actually.
I see.

I do 93.333% of my max lift with 3 reps.

According to the pile chart, thats too much rep.

And I expend so much on picking up those fucking dumbbells it's ridiculous. Not only that I have to lift the damn weights up to the starting point.

And it feels as if I'm not bench pressing enough, but I want to work on my other lifts too.

This is starting to become a problem.

what ive been doing lately is an inverse pyramiding thingamajig i.e.

week 1: light bench, heavy assistance
week 2: increase bench, decrease assistance from week 1
week 3: increase bench, decrease assistance from week 2
week 4: heavy bench, light assistance

In my opinion, if you're working hard on enough on your main lift, you definately shouldn't have enough gas to go too heavy on more than say one more exercise. After that it's gravy most of the time.

Interesting.

I cant go heavy on the next exercise period.

Ted-P said:
I see.

I do 93.333% of my max lift with 3 reps.

According to the pile chart, thats too much rep.

And I expend so much on picking up those fucking dumbbells it's ridiculous. Not only that I have to lift the damn weights up to the starting point.

And it feels as if I'm not bench pressing enough, but I want to work on my other lifts too.

This is starting to become a problem.

what is the pile chart?

Anyways I am leaving the gym almost every day very happy with my progress, so the method i am using is working great for me at the moment, is it the best method for me? There is no way to really tell, but as long as I am improving I will stick with it for now. I have no deadlines or competitions of anything to worry about.

Fedorable said:
what is the pile chart?

Anyways I am leaving the gym almost every day very happy with my progress, so the method i am using is working great for me at the moment, is it the best method for me? There is no way to really tell, but as long as I am improving I will stick with it for now. I have no deadlines or competitions of anything to worry about.
Yea.

I was just talking about my routine and work out.

This is the pile chart by the way.

http://www.angelfire.com/pe/txpls/prilephin.html

Fedorable said:
thanks, looks he doesnt like 25 reps for even 55%
Yea, on this board there are many who dont like the 5x5 much.

I'm somewhat of a skeptic after I tried it.

Ted-P said:
Yea, on this board there are many who dont like the 5x5 much.

I'm somewhat of a skeptic after I tried it.

I guess i usually count my warm-up set and then another set as part of my 5 x 5, so I guess it is more like a 3 x 5.

Fedorable said:
I guess i usually count my warm-up set and then another set as part of my 5 x 5, so I guess it is more like a 3 x 5.

Aw. Then the set and rep scheme looks fine.

Ted-P said:
Interesting.

I cant go heavy on the next exercise period.

thats usually how it should be. It is for me atleast.
I used to go heavy for the main lift and try and go heavy for the other lifts in the gym session (main being triples and others being 5 or 6's or even in my stupid days triples). I used to die on my arse and didn't progress for like 6 months. Read about assistance work and lightened the loads and boom, broke out of my plateau.

Ian1983 said:
thats usually how it should be. It is for me atleast.
I used to go heavy for the main lift and try and go heavy for the other lifts in the gym session (main being triples and others being 5 or 6's or even in my stupid days triples). I used to die on my arse and didn't progress for like 6 months. Read about assistance work and lightened the loads and boom, broke out of my plateau.
Where can I get useful info on assistant workouts.

Specifically like a website or something.

The others of the board will know, but its like;
Main-flat bench
assistance-any of the following;
weighted dips, military press (or is it overhead press), incline bench, rack lockouts (I mention this one but I have never done them due to crappy gym)

sorry, double post, server busy or some crap

No matter how hard my main lift is, I can always do well on my assistance. Flat bench and dips in the same workout is a little rough, i do those on separate max days.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back