Question about Leg Locks for IBJJF Tournaments

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
If you have a straight ankle lock, but lets say you take the ankle on your right side and switch it to your left side, like across your body.
Is that still a straight ankle lock? What is that considered and is it legal for blue belt?

you just can't reap the knee. you can switch it to the other side

I think that should be OK. I've had an IBJJF ref stop an ankle lock because I wasn't twisting to look away from my opponent (he claimed it put less pressure on the knee. Fun fact: this makes no sense), I've had them stop me for reaping when my foot wasn't even on the guy's body, much less across the guy's leg, and I've had them stop me from going for a toe hold from a kneebar position (again, they claimed since I wasn't doing a knee bar, it was reaping), but never from doing a high/inside (or cross if you prefer) ankle lock.

Moral: Save non 50/50 leg locks for other comps like NAGA, GQ, or ADCC. In an IBJJF tournament, work that 50/50 guard, and any submission other than a heel hook obviously. Just don't be surprised if the ref pulls some kind of crap, or the opponent's coach starts yelling, or if you get booed (all 3 happened to me).

I think that should be OK. I've had an IBJJF ref stop an ankle lock because I wasn't twisting to look away from my opponent (he claimed it put less pressure on the knee. Fun fact: this makes no sense), I've had them stop me for reaping when my foot wasn't even on the guy's body, much less across the guy's leg, and I've had them stop me from going for a toe hold from a kneebar position (again, they claimed since I wasn't doing a knee bar, it was reaping), but never from doing a high/inside (or cross if you prefer) ankle lock.

i actually got DQ'd once for this :mad:

I got DQ'ed when a guy pulled my leg into the reaping position. Go figure.

On an unrelated note, I don't do IBJJF tournaments any more.

Leglocks are really tricky with IBJJF tournaments. It all depends on the reg and alot of time they just don't give a crap and they will just DQ you if the position looks a little funky.

These are some crazy stories man. I'm never gonna leglock at IBJJF events.

What if your leg reaps by accident somehow or other, but at that time you are not attacking the leg? DQ as well?

With the straight ankle, always look outside and tuck your outside elbow underneath you, no matter which armpit you have their foot in.

I got DQ'ed when a guy pulled my leg into the reaping position. Go figure.

On an unrelated note, I don't do IBJJF tournaments any more.

You competed against fowler? Jk

IBJJF tournaments are in my mind, stupid. Way too limiting and strict. I'd rather do NAGA, Grappler's Quest, or US Grappling any day.

I have all sorts of stories from the IBJJF. For a period of time I thought for sure I'd be able to work my leg locks into their event, but it seems like for every answer I came up with they'd have a new problem.

For a while I was trying to work around the reaping the knee rule. I don't like 50/50 because it's too slow for my personality, and if the other guy is smarter in it I've just been boned. Instead I developed a positional leg lock control where I essentially have an X-guard, but sitting on the ground (I play overhook X guard a lot, so I'd sweep and end up in this position). Focusing on putting my shins in the back of both their knees, controlling both ankles, squeezing my knees together on his trapped middle leg, and finishing. When they added the outside twist part, that was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Seriously doods, it ain't worth it, especially if you're a no-name like me. Just practice some kind of crazy cartwheel pass instead =P

NEVER go for leglocks in those tournaments. You'll get DQd most of the time even if you're not doing anything illegal

IBJJF tournaments are in my mind, stupid. Way too limiting and strict. I'd rather do NAGA, Grappler's Quest, or US Grappling any day.

since leg lock restrictions only apear on purples and blues... how bout you learn how to pass guard and get to brown asap?

If you have a straight ankle lock, but lets say you take the ankle on your right side and switch it to your left side, like across your body.
Is that still a straight ankle lock? What is that considered and is it legal for blue belt?

Yes as long you do not reap his ankle in the process.

since leg lock restrictions only apear on purples and blues... how bout you learn how to pass guard and get to brown asap?

I'm a bluebelt and I mainly compete in MMA, so that's why not. No need for acting like a smartass.

I'm a big leg lock guy and I have never even attempted one in an IBJJF tournament because I'm too afraid that I'll get DQ'ed.

Those tournaments are expensive, so paying all that money just to have some ref give you some stupid excuse about why your leg lock was illegal would just be really annoying...

I'm a big leg lock guy and I have never even attempted one in an IBJJF tournament because I'm too afraid that I'll get DQ'ed.

Those tournaments are expensive, so paying all that money just to have some ref give you some stupid excuse about why your leg lock was illegal would just be really annoying...

What belt are you?

Back